2240 breech screw

Started by stevecurr, April 24, 2016, 01:42:34 AM

stevecurr

Tried to remove the breech screw on my 2240 today. Seemed very tight. The head of the screw stripped out where the tiny allen wrench fits in it. Any suggestions on getting the screw out. Is Crosman the only place to get a new one. Haven't seen them listed any where. Steve

bgmcgee

It's not a common size,4-48 is the thread size. Try clamping the breech down and if you have some torx bits use the one that fits in the allen hole. Sometimes this works. Check eBay for accustoms.  He sometimes has some better ones listed.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

quickster47 †

Plastic breech or metal?

I have some stainless slotted screws.  If you want a couple send me your address in a PM.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mudduck48

QUACK!
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

BillK

Steve, many of us have done the same. :-[  Now I use the slotted breech screws from AC Customs.  You can't have too many.  Plus he is a good guy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SS-Slotted-Breech-Screw-for-a-crosman-2240-2250-1377-1322-2300-pc77-22xx-13xx-/221888318704?hash=item33a9930cf0:g:LogAAOxyQj9RO-C2
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

stevecurr

Thanks for the help guys. Carl, It is a metal breech. Thanks for the offer but I have ordered a half dozen from A C Customs. I will most likely wait till I have new screws in hand before attempting to get this old one out.  Steve

DaveB50

I have drilled the head off the screw and then after taking the breech off, there was just enough sticking out to unscrew it by putting a thumb on it and turning counter clockwise.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

stevecurr

Hope to avoid the drill. It will be a last resort. Don't want to take a chance of damaging the breech. It cost more than the gun. :(

DaveB50

If you use a drill bit slightly bigger than the thread shaft, the head will spin with the bit when it comes off. I've done this twice without any breech damage.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

stevecurr

Thanks Dave. New screws should be here Friday. Planning on fixing this over the week end.  Steve

Tater

Quote from: stevecurr on April 26, 2016, 03:45:12 AM
Hope to avoid the drill. It will be a last resort. Don't want to take a chance of damaging the breech. It cost more than the gun. :(

The same thing happened to me last year. I made a thread about it and got some great advice.
I bought an individual left-handed drill bit and it worked great. Just use low speed on the drill in reverse or turn by hand. Similar to this one, but I only bought one:  http://www.harborfreight.com/left-hand-drill-bit-set-13-pc-61686.html
Just google left-handed drill bit.

I removed the screw with out damaging the steel breech, I immediately upgraded the screw and no issue since.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Flex

Quote from: stevecurr on April 24, 2016, 01:42:34 AM
Tried to remove the breech screw on my 2240 today. Seemed very tight. The head of the screw stripped out where the tiny allen wrench fits in it. Any suggestions on getting the screw out. Is Crosman the only place to get a new one. Haven't seen them listed any where. Steve
It might be too late since it sounds like the damage to the head of the screw is already done but in the future, IIRC, it's important to remove the larger rear breech screw first when disassembling and put the tiny forward breech screw in first when reassembling. If the holes in the steel breech are the tiniest bit off, enough longitudinal stress is generated to make the screws difficult to turn. If the smaller (more subject to damage) screw is placed first and removed last it's less likely to be wedged tight. The larger rear breech screw is more able to tolerate the stress and the larger socket head can handle the torque. I've had my airguns apart and back together several times (if not many times!) and I've yet to have an issue with the front breech screw. To be sure tho, I do have a few replacements (stock ones from Crosman) in my spare parts box  ;). You didn't describe the order of screw removal in your OP but this just might have been the issue. Maybe not ???
Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

stevecurr

I came to that conclusion a couple of nights ago as I was working on my 1377. Was have alignment problems with the small screw. I'm sure that's what I done to my 2240 by trying to remove the small screw first.  Steve

CraigH

The process described by Flex is generally the best off and on method.  Once the hex key in well set into the screw, I also grasp the breech and air tube with my middle finger through the trigger guard and squeeze very firmly prior to first (or final if installing) turning of the small screw.  There is some additional tension on it due to the transfer port seal.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Colt25

Before loosening the screw push down on the breech as hard as you can, reliving some pressure from it. I've had to use dremel cutoff wheels to slot those screws before - not fun!