2240 breech screw

Started by stevecurr, April 24, 2016, 01:42:34 AM

WyoMan

Wait a minute guys...
I agree that the 4-48 breech screw should be the first in and last out...and some clamping of the breech is good...but -
The screw is meant for fastening - not for applying undue stress. If you have to apply excessive clamping or torque to install and remove the 4-48, then your TP sleeve is probably too long...or the barrel countersink is too shallow. And I think that is the root of the problem - creating the creative solutions  :)

Correct the TP sleeve fit first. You should be able to squeeze the breech completely flat on the tube with just your thumb and fingers on both sides of the port. Some fitments are so bad that the breech will never sit flat and solid. There needs to be some compression of the breech gasket to seal - but it doesn't take much.

Also, if I had to remove a stripped 4-48 hex I would use a 1/16" left-hand drill bit (drill set in reverse of course). Then replace with a better screw.
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

stevecurr

I think I over tightened this one when I put it in. Most likely half stripped then. It didn't take much at all to finish it off when I tried to remove it. Ridiculous that they would design a screw to use  that small of a allen wrench. All my guns will now get better quality screws. Steve

CraigH

Excellent point, Wyoman.    :-*    I had one that while down on the air tube, had that feel of not precisely right.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Pumpmeister

Would that same screw work for 13XX Guns? I could use  a few with Slotted heads though!

also looking for the detent Ball/spring for the safety  I do recall seeing the Ball/spring set on ebay..awhile back
"Aim Small....Miss Small" Benjamin Martin

bgmcgee

Yup. The breech screw for the 13xx and 22xx are the same size.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Colt25

Quote from: Pumpmeister on May 11, 2016, 04:39:14 PM
Would that same screw work for 13XX Guns? I could use  a few with Slotted heads though!

also looking for the detent Ball/spring for the safety  I do recall seeing the Ball/spring set on ebay..awhile back

I think the bearing size is 3/32" and you can use BIC lighter flint springs. I believe bearing balls can be found from a bike shop, or even online for cheap.

beejwest

Always managed to keep the springs, but the ball bearing is a different story.  Good news is the little key chain/dog tag style ball chains are almost the same size.  Cut one ball off those and it works like a champ.  Next to free.
Full blown Crosmaniac.

WyoMan

Quote from: beejwest on May 18, 2016, 01:11:59 AM
Always managed to keep the springs, but the ball bearing is a different story.  Good news is the little key chain/dog tag style ball chains are almost the same size.  Cut one ball off those and it works like a champ.  Next to free.

The wildest one I've heard was from Charlie Mellon...he bought several pounds of #8 (iirc?) steel shot because he got tired of losing them. Read that somewhere awhile back. Said he doesn't bother looking for lost ones anymore  ;D
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

CraigH

Truly a "wild one" from C. Mellon.     ;D ;D ;D      I lost my first one last week, not needed, but if things go really bad I know where to lay in a supply.      :)
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

KevinP

I super glue the spring and ball together. works for me ..... :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

oldgearhead

Quote from: WyoMan on May 18, 2016, 03:28:44 AM
The wildest one I've heard was from Charlie Mellon...he bought several pounds of #8 (iirc?) steel shot because he got tired of losing them. Read that somewhere awhile back. Said he doesn't bother looking for lost ones anymore  ;D
I have a white, large-headed new shirt pin in my PC77. Works fine and even comes with a spring guide...
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

beejwest

Nice! Like that idea too!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

targettgii

Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322