• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2240 Steel Receiver Bolt handle failure

Started by guns, September 29, 2016, 03:40:37 AM

guns

I replaced the plastic receiver with the steel one so I could mount a scope.  All went well but the screw-in handle on the bolt broke off.  It is temporarily replaced with a #8/32 tpi screw.  Anyone know where I can get a replacement handle for the bolt?

Finally got a chance to shoot the pistol.  Getting groups a little larger than the size of a nickel at about 45 feet.  At about 25 feet three shots can be covered with a nickel.  Not fantastic but should get the job done on the close-in work on squirrel and rabbit over population.  The RWS .22 pellet rifle still does the long stuff.

Just a short word of praise on the TKO muzzle brake.  It is GREAT!! Can't believe how quiet the 2240 is now.  Just a little puff.  Should be able to get off a second shot it needed.

mudduck48

We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

BillK

While your at getting a replacement bolt handle you might as well get an extended probe or shoot thru bolt.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

mr007s

Rich, (arkmaker) is turning out some custom parts. He is another option. Have you checked the crown on that 2240? At 45 feet it should be almost one hole if shooting from a rest.

mudduck48

Rich, (Arkmaker) is turning out custom parts. I did not know he made bolt handles.
http://yeoleairgunshop.yolasite.com/

mr007s

Quote from: mudduck48 on September 29, 2016, 04:20:52 PM
Rich, (Arkmaker) is turning out custom parts. I did not know he made bolt handles.
http://yeoleairgunshop.yolasite.com/
Dint mean to imply he was making them,, just that he makes custom parts and may make a few if it is requested. Of course I could be wrong, the wife says I am all the time.

mudduck48

That is why I put a link to his web site. Scroll down and you will find bolts and handles.

guns

Thanks for all the help.  I'll be checking out the leads.

While sighting in the pistol/scope I finished up with shooting into a one ltr. Coke bottle filled with water to check the penetration.  An added benefit was that the pellets were caught in the bottle.  I checked out the skirts of all the pellets and they were considerably deformed - oval.  Was that caused by them passing through the bottle, by the barrel of the pistol or "clipping?" of the TKO?  This deformed skirts, if happening before impact, can't be helping the accuracy.

One person asked if I checked the crown of the barrel.  I'm not sure what to look for specifically but it looked fine to my untrained eyes. 

BillK

Checking the crown is usually done by a Q-tip lightly inserted into the barrel to see if there are any burs.  Burs will show by snagging the Q-tip cotton.
IMO if you are hitting your target at ???(you didn't mention the distance) and it is consistent you probably don't have a Crown problem.  A bad crown causes pellets to be "flyers".  That is pellets that are well off the mark.
I would think that the deformed skirts are the result of hitting the target.  A slight crowning or clipping problem would show themselves in a  big miss of the target.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

guns

Quote from: BillK on September 30, 2016, 05:20:28 AM
Checking the crown is usually done by a Q-tip lightly inserted into the barrel to see if there are any burs.  Burs will show by snagging the Q-tip cotton.
IMO if you are hitting your target at ???(you didn't mention the distance) and it is consistent you probably don't have a Crown problem.  A bad crown causes pellets to be "flyers".  That is pellets that are well off the mark.
I would think that the deformed skirts are the result of hitting the target.  A slight crowning or clipping problem would show themselves in a  big miss of the target.

Thanks BillK.  I'll give the crown a swab tomorrow.  The distances are the same as mentioned in the original post - 25 and 45 ft.  I thought nickel sized patterns were pretty good for a pellet gun but I gather that it should be significantly better.  One member, mr007s  stated it should be almost one hole if shooting from a rest.  Ga-Dang that would be nice.  I was shooting from a rest.  It must be my age and eyesight - pushing 70.  LOL!!!