• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Skeleton stock mod?

Started by beejwest, November 23, 2016, 04:32:30 PM

beejwest

Like everyone else, I sort of dislike the cheek weld on the unmodded crosman skeleton shoulder stock.   I have a quite a bit of experience making self-bows from PVC pipe using a heat gun to soften the material.  I built a wooden mold covered in foil, heat the PVC slowly and flatten the tips.  You can make really powerful bows this way that shoot great.  Kind of a "prepper" niche type deal.  I started doing it to make the neighbor kids bows after they saw me shooting my compound and recurve.  The girls were really into the disney movie "Brave" and were all about archery.  It worked so well with 3/4" PVC I started making bigger ones and my last recurve style one shot almost as hard as my actual wood recurve 50# bow using nothing but parachord and PVC!

Anyways, I know the material the stock is made from isn't PVC (I'm not entirely certain of what plastic it is) but does anyone know if heated does it becomes malleable?  I'd like to build a jig, heat the lower portion under the grip frame and tweak it upwards about 10ish degrees to get a higher cheek weld.  I have an extra one, and they're only about $10 from Crosman, so it's not the end of the world if I mess one up.  But before I get home and give this a whirl, a response from someone who has tried this would be awesome!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

arkmaker †

ABS, polystyrene ???
You may want to do a search for the stock that Quickster (Carl) did (and others). They  bought a check pad, which if memory serves was under 15 bucks and added it to the stock. The mod looked really good and got great reviews for those that did it. Funny thing is that I thinking of this mod a few days back for my 2250 carbine, so I'll try searching also.

Might be this ??
Ati SKS Cheekrest
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

beejwest

Rich,
Yeah it was the SKS from ATI.  You think that ABS will soften up for me with some gentle nudging from a heat gun?\
Full blown Crosmaniac.

arkmaker †

Yep, I think it will. Heat and stretch, heat and stretch, little bit at a time??

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

beejwest

Yes! That's the goal.  I'll post this evening!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

twigboy

Quote from: beejwest on November 23, 2016, 04:32:30 PM
Like everyone else, I sort of dislike the cheek weld on the unmodded crosman skeleton shoulder stock.   I have a quite a bit of experience making self-bows from PVC pipe using a heat gun to soften the material.  I built a wooden mold covered in foil, heat the PVC slowly and flatten the tips.  You can make really powerful bows this way that shoot great.  Kind of a "prepper" niche type deal.  I started doing it to make the neighbor kids bows after they saw me shooting my compound and recurve.  The girls were really into the disney movie "Brave" and were all about archery.  It worked so well with 3/4" PVC I started making bigger ones and my last recurve style one shot almost as hard as my actual wood recurve 50# bow using nothing but parachord and PVC!

So I spent some time looking the web for this.  Thanks.  Did not know this could be done.  Yup, now another distraction.  Must resist....

RetatCDude

You know I mentioned the other day to someone that very few of us like the 1377 stock as it comes from Crosman.
Of course the trolls dis-agreed with me. (They have to put their two cents in, even if they are wrong.)
Because the 1377 was first used with pistols that only had iron sights it did not need to be higher.
Very similar to the TC Contender Carbine stock for the TC pistols.
Too low.

A lot of us put a tube (mine is aluminum billet) above the stock in line with the air tube (1-1.5" higher than the stock) and this seems to work out fine:
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

beejwest

Don't resist! It's so cheap! I already had the heat gun and pvc is dirt cheap!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

beejwest

So I'll say this: the mod did not go well LOL!  I mean, it worked to the extent I thought on how the plastic would heat and bend.  The stock took forever to heat, unlike PVC where it goes relatively quickly.  I really had work to get it to heat evenly.  I initially bent it at the main tube right behind the grip.  I got it tweaked up about 10 degerees and was stoked until I installed it and shouldered my Disco.  It made the cheek weld goofy!  It also created a secondary problem that the butt plate was now at a weird angle to my shoulder.  So in an attempt to rectify that, I heated the cheek area and right below it to see if I could bend that down.  That also worked to some extent but it's really not comfortable, very awkward.  It was worth the $10 loss to experiment and it was an extra since I sold the pistol it was on to Arkmaker.  Anyways like RetatCDude said, best method is just to attach the tube.  That looks FANTASTIC BTW.  Ironically enough, on my P-rod, I haven't touched the stock and love it.   :-*
Full blown Crosmaniac.

CraigH

Here is the one Carl made:

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,6911.msg72864.html#msg72864

Really nice as all his work was (most sadly not to be seen again).   :(
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Here's one I modified a long time ago.  :)
Stranded in California.

JMJinNC

Hey beejwest. If your stock is a write off shoot me a pm. I'm looking for a spare to modify for my 10m build. I just need the area before the split intact.

JMJ
John

beejwest

Full blown Crosmaniac.

arkmaker †

You guys just gave me another idea :-*
I have the cheek riser from the straight stock I made. The riser was to high for my set up, but I think I can fashion the 1399 stock to accept it nicely? We'll see.