• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How to choose a red dot sight for arms length shooting

Started by Handyr, November 27, 2016, 10:49:50 PM

Handyr

Hi I have seen number of posts here in the archives about red dot sights. But I haven't seen or read anything about how to use or sight with them. I know you can get 'tube' sights and open type sights. Can you use them with your arm stretched out?  Won't the image in the 30mm tube be very small?  Is the light size important, I have seen 5 mentioned as being to large and 2 or 3 being the best dot size. I don't want anything too expensive and it would need to be available in the UK.

Hope some experienced shooters will put me on the right track.

arkmaker †

I've only had few red dots over the years. One was a BSA tube style which was actually pretty large. The other was a CenterPoint tube which was smaller and the last was a Daisy that was not a tube, I actually liked the Daisy the best and almost bought another one last week at Tractor Supply. Like anything else, it is usually better to spend more because you get what you pay for with optics, but for $10. US for the Daisy dot sight, you can at least see if you would like it on the cheap?

BTW: I was able to see the dots on all of the sights I had at pistol arms length. The smaller tube size is used mostly on rifles or carbines. My only problem with dot sites is with my eyes. I have an astigmatism, so the dot goes a little blurry. That's life and I don't think there is any fix for it.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

farrlarr

I have used both tube type and reflex red dots on rimfire and air  pistols.  I prefer the reflex type and still have a Browning Buckmark reflex on my custom Crosman 2240.  The tube types have been removed from my rimfire pistols simply because it is more fun to shoot without them, although I shoot a bit less accurately.  Of the two reflex sights you have links to, I think the first (more expensive) one would be best although either would probably get you started; as arkmaker said, you get what you pay for.
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

targettgii

This is the red dot sight I have on my 2240 and I like it very much.Here is a link to where I got it from with all the specs I don't know if they will ship internationaly though.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/459296/millett-compact-red-dot-sight-1-tube-1x-3-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings

P.S. The rings on it are BKL not Weavers

Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

beejwest

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TTKNDG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480389521&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=walther+mrs&dpPl=1&dpID=41aeY8YVtQL&ref=plSrch

I have this on my 1322.  Dot size is sufficient for <30 yard shooting.  Holds zero, has multiple reticles.  Only problem is it's a weaver mount so you'll need a rail or some adapters for dovetail. 
Full blown Crosmaniac.

BillK

Quote from: targettgii on November 29, 2016, 02:53:28 AM
This is the red dot sight I have on my 2240 and I like it very much.Here is a link to where I got it from with all the specs I don't know if they will ship internationaly though.http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459296/millett-compact-red-dot-sight-1-tube-1x-3-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings

P.S. The rings on it are BKL not Weavers

I have to agree that the Millett SP1 is my favorite sight.  I have the reflex 4 sight pics & a Lg. BSA sight & I like the Millett the best.  One other thing to consider is the weight of the sight.  Larger - 30mm - sights are bulky & heavy for a hand gun.
If you are shooting targets go with the Millett if you are shooting game that doesn't stand still perhaps a reflex.
No matter what you initially choose you will probably buy another "just to see what it is like."
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Handyr

Thanks for all the suggestions. As you say I will probably end up with more than one!  The only thing I am still concerned about because I can't really try before I buy where I am, is the sixe of the dot in the tube at arms length. I will be shooting targets etc mostly not hunting.

beejwest

The smaller the better generally.  Especially for target shooting.  If you're shooting silhouette or steels a bigger dot would be fine.  For groups or pure accuracy on paper, the smaller the better.  At arms length the only difference will be how much of the target you're going to cover up.  You would even be fine with a 1 mil dot sized dot.  At 10 meters 1 mildot is .396", so a one mil dot dot will cover up .39 inches at that range.  So at 20 meters that same dot will cover up better than 3/4 of an inch!  So, you can see the smaller the better.  You should be able to adjust brightness on dot sights to accomdate most issues with "seeing" the dot.  The only problem with that is how the unit works.  Some units will start to have comet tails at higher brightness levels.  Also like Ark said earlier, some glasses/lense corrections will cause the dot to wash or halo etc. 
Full blown Crosmaniac.

Handyr

Thanks for that. Will post pictures and review when I can.

Jaybo

I have two "red dot" sights on my Crosman pistols. One is a Crosman sight, which I don't think is worth the money.  It's cheap, but the dot is barely visible in sunlight and you have no alternative regarding the image or brightness.  The other is a Walther, which has seven levels of brightness and four different reticles (all red).  Regardless of the light conditions or the target I can set the sight to get the best accuracy.

As far as I know all "red dot" sights are focused at infinity.  You can shoot with both eyes open and simply put the reticle on the target regardless of its distance (although I still shoot with one eye closed out of habit).

In summary, I would stay away from the Crosman sight.  It's really poor quality.  There are many "red dot" sights out there which are far superior if you're willing to spend more money (not too much more).

Happy shooting!

Handyr

My Nikko Stirling 30mm red dot sight arrived. It is advertised as having 3/8"/11mm integrated dovetail mounts. However, when I marry it up to my 2300s steel breech, it seems to fit, but will not grip!  It seems to be just that little bit too wide for the pistol mount. I have made a temp fix using two layers of tape, but not really satisfactory. Any suggestions?  I have a weaver/dovetail adapter, but wanted a lower direct mount. Is this just this manufacturer or will all 11mm dovetails struggle to fit? 

Thanks in anticipation!!

beejwest

Tom Gaylord wrote a fantastic article that's on Pyramid Air's blogs about dovetails.  There is no "standard" for dovetail mounts, and each manufacturer's are slightly different.  Sometimes they work great, others, not so much.  Good luck!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

arkmaker †

I know this is late in coming, but I had one set where the clamping screws were to long and  were bottoming out before they could clamp tightly. Don;t know if this is the case with yours, but I ground off a little bit off the screw length and then had no problem.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Handyr

Thanks, I'll have a check. I'm using tape at the moment!  But the sight seems fine!