• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How To Sample Ammo?

Started by KurtM, December 03, 2016, 06:30:37 PM

KurtM

I understand that it's a great idea to try all the different types and brands of pellets in each gun to find best results. But how is this done? Is there such a thing as sampler packs (doubt it), or is it a matter of buying 30 tins of pellets and only using a few out of most of them? If the latter, whaddya do with all the unwanted ones? Sounds kinda expensive too.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

JMJinNC

John

KurtM

Thanks -- so there really are sampler packs available, cool! That helps quite a bit.

I've kept airguns on hand for over 45 years, mostly for critter control around the house, but never gave 'em much thought. Always vaguely aware of the world of serious arigunning, I never explored it till now. I just bought a 1377 and 1322 (couldn't decide which to get so I got both, lol), and ordered a bunch of goodies from Davio for the '77 (carbine stock, steel breech, 14" barrel, etc.), and so I'm suddenly on the way to learning the language y'all speak here.

So back to ammo, I naturally get curious to find what my guns are going to like best. Not sure I want to try 150 different types, though. Any suggestions on a half dozen or so to start with? I'm mostly into indoor target and backyard plinking, plus occasional terrorizing of small discourteous critters.

I'm concentrating on the .177 right now (since the .22 hasn't arrived just yet), have a tin of wadcutters and tin of what looks like combination hollow point and cone tip, and can't help notice the wadcutters group tighter.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

BillK

What gun are you using and what are you shooting and what distance?  Targets, game???
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

JMJinNC

If you are hunting, try JSB exact 8.4 grain pellets. Mine likes these and the JSB Exact Heavies as well. For target shooting, RWS basic or hobby pellets (7.0 grain) at 10 meters.

A lot of folks have had good luck with Crosman pellets but I have not.

JMJ
John

KurtM

I don't hunt, but I'm not above giving small furry animals or birds a hint of my displeasure with their presence now and then. But I'm usually more occupied with shooting beer cans and such at 10 meters or so, maybe give or take a few meters.

Expanding the topic a bit, any hints on easier loading of pellets into the breech? I see products like pellet pens and pellet seaters and such, but don't yet know what type of guns they're aimed at. Fishing pellets out of the tin and then squinting to see which end is which is a bit of a bother. I know that back when when shooting black powder revolvers, my little brass capping device sure made handling percussion caps easier so that's kinda what I'm thinking about when I ask.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

DaveB50

There is a seller on eBay that will let you choose from many different pellets and brand names to make your own sampler pack. Here is one of his offerings. Click on his store to see others.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Cal-H-N-Excite-Plinking-SAMPLE-12-96gr-wadcutter-25-air-gun-pellets-/251656379471?hash=item3a97e39c4f:g:hJUAAOSwnDZUIv~U
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

Tommy

Quote from: KurtM on December 04, 2016, 09:21:30 PM
I don't hunt, but I'm not above giving small furry animals or birds a hint of my displeasure with their presence now and then. But I'm usually more occupied with shooting beer cans and such at 10 meters or so, maybe give or take a few meters.

Expanding the topic a bit, any hints on easier loading of pellets into the breech? I see products like pellet pens

Pellet pens are for break barrels.

JMJinNC

Loading pellets is easier if you've smoothed over the breech screw with a few drops of melted wax. As for handling pellets, I can orient domed pellets by feel now, so can't help you there. For 10m shooting, I have a tray to stage them for loading.

JMJ
John

farrlarr

Quote from: KurtM on December 04, 2016, 09:21:30 PM
Expanding the topic a bit, any hints on easier loading of pellets into the breech? I see products like pellet pens and pellet seaters and such, but don't yet know what type of guns they're aimed at. Fishing pellets out of the tin and then squinting to see which end is which is a bit of a bother. I know that back when when shooting black powder revolvers, my little brass capping device sure made handling percussion caps easier so that's kinda what I'm thinking about when I ask.

For my 2240s and my QB78D, I open the breech, pick up a pellet in the correct orientation, set it on the side of the breech with the tip of my finger on top of it and then roll it into the breech by moving my fingertip sideways.  Trying to drop a pellet into the breech from above often results in the pellet dropping in an odd orientation or reversing as it drops.  Setting and rolling keeps the pellet oriented.

There really isn't much to be done about seeing the original orientation of the pellet; you simply have to look at it until/unless you develop enough of a feel for the pellets that you can tell the orientation as you pick it up.  To simplify things, you can drill holes of the appropriate size in a block of wood, or buy something like the Phillips pellet holders sold at Pyramyd Air and probably other places for $12.99, and insert pellets in whatever orientation you want; the downside of this is that you have to look at the pellets as you are loading them into the block so you might just as well do that as you are loading the gun.
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."