• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Thinking About A First Scope

Started by KurtM, January 09, 2017, 07:16:28 PM

CraigH

That is a nice scope, BillK.   I have one on a full size rifle.    :-*
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Tommy

Quote from: KurtM on January 09, 2017, 09:23:56 PM
4. Other related accessories that are a really good idea? Those attached flip-up dust caps, for instance, look pretty convincing to me.

Flip up dust caps are OK,  till you adjust the scope, and the flip up now bumps into the barrel.  But if it snaps on and off just remove and repostion to flip up, however then your target may run closer or farther away........

You will be disapointed if you have to use a small screw driver or allen wrench to adjust the cross hairs.  Target knobs/target turrets are
always there on the scope and not in your pocket.

Quick release rings seem handy.  But I think/speculate there will be some resighting involved each time they are removed, and replaced. 

oldgearhead

...or you might want to think about a pistol scope mounted in the 'scout position. Gives you a 'clear' loading port, quick target acquisition, and 'both eyes open', shooting. However I think 20 yards is the limit for small game like the Red Pine Squirrel, too far to kill Fox Squirrels, and the limit of my 1377 carbine and 2x scope..
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

temchik

oldgearhead, can you post links to this mount and scope, please?
Thank you!

Quote from: oldgearhead on January 10, 2017, 03:02:02 PM
...or you might want to think about a pistol scope mounted in the 'scout position. Gives you a 'clear' loading port, quick target acquisition, and 'both eyes open', shooting. However I think 20 yards is the limit for small game like the Red Pine Squirrel, too far to kill Fox Squirrels, and the limit of my 1377 carbine and 2x scope..

oldgearhead

Well the adapter + extension is a Hawk Sport Optics 172 mm 22 402 is the current part number (I think). It is 6.8 inches long. Hawk does make a longer one, 7.2 inches, but it hangs over the rear. The primary concern is only three out of four of the attaching snubbers contact the Crosman long breech. However, it is very solid and no problems. The flashlight mounts with a 45 degree Picatinny mount adapter. The bubble level (not seen) is attached between the Picatinny scope mounts. The scope is an inexpensive NC Star 2.5x/30. The scope could be a better one but I don't think you can find another adapter/extension for the Crosman long steel breech that will mount the scope forward, except the Hawk Optics..The scope does focus down to 14 feet without modification.
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

KurtM

Well, after reading all this, doing a bit of interwebz research, and playing with my guns a bit more, I am of a mind that a scope just isn't for me. At least not at this time. Just seems like it adds too much bulk, and relatively delicate bulk at that. I'd have to take a lot more care with how I handle it in general, and I like open sights too much in the meantime.

If anybody wishes to present arguments to make me reconsider, I welcome it. Thanks!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

CraigH

If you shoot well with open sights, stay with them.   I wish I could.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

KurtM

Just for record, I put an LPA rear sight on my 1377, and a Williams peep sight on the 1322. I really can't call one better than the other, and if I were forced to choose just one, I'd have to flip a coin I guess. Either way, I can reliably hit a quarter at 30 yards, which is good enough for me.

Both are modded identically: Crosman shoulder stock, long steel breech, 14.5" barrel, Alchemy mini muzzle brake w/ bead sight, 3D front band, solid SS pin, SS bolt/probe. Both triggers suit me perfectly fine after mashing the spring a bit. I had never even heard of the Crosman 13XX until just last December, and I'm still knocked out by the discovery - these guns are super sweet for the money, and tons of fun!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

PelletPlinker

I know the OP found a resolution but I wanted to add this in case anyone else was combing the thread for suggestions;

Not so much for the scope but for the mount. I found an offset scope mount that works pretty well with the steel breech, both allowing extra clearance for loading and so you don't have to straddle the loading port with the rings. It's pretty solid with two locking screws on the base.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TUSJRK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what it looks like on my 1377.
(I think my eyes were bigger than the gun for that scope though  ???)