• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2240 and mod or straight custom shop

Started by dow, April 05, 2017, 05:18:13 AM

dow

Hey, newbie here.  As I'm on a somewhat tight hobby budget (to make sure that SWMBO doesn't fuss), I'm wondering which would be the best way to go.  Getting a 2240 and modding it from there, or going with a custom shop gun.  I'm interested in building up a good target/starling gun.   Wally world has the 2240 for around $55, and the custom shop can do a 2400KT with a 14" barrel (not LW) for around $90 not counting a rear sight.  If I went with the 2400kt, who makes a good, inexpensive rear sight that will fit the dovetails?

Thoughts and recommendations would be great!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Tommy

Quote from: dow on April 05, 2017, 05:18:13 AM
who makes a good, inexpensive rear sight that will fit the dovetails?

Thoughts and recommendations would be great!

Williams notch or peep hole.

dow

Thanks Tommy.  What do you think about whether I'd be better off to start with a 2240 and mod it or just go with the custom shop gun?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

Noah

Quote from: dow on April 05, 2017, 06:17:04 AM
Thanks Tommy.  What do you think about whether I'd be better off to start with a 2240 and mod it or just go with the custom shop gun?

A while ago I thought about that also, but the innards on a CS will be stock. So, if you want to beef it up there will be some modding.
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

cobalt327

I went with the 2400KT. There were several reasons for this:

• I wanted it in .177
  • I wanted a longer barrel- went with 18"
  • Wanted a carbine stock
  • I wanted a steel breech w/dovetail
I don't care for the open rear sight that come on the 2240. With the dovetail on the 2400 steel breech I can add a red dot or scopes I already have. But I wanted to use open sights for a while before switching to optics. I'm using an adjustable rear sight from a Chinese rifle, I think it came from a Lider 45TG or something similar. Anyway, the front sight on the 2400 is too short so I was told a front sight from a Crosman 760 should do the trick.

The 2400 has an adjustable trigger. Mine is adjusted as low as it'll go and it measures 2 lb. 2 oz. If not for the long pretravel, it would be a very good trigger as-is, but it'll only need a little work to be right. I opted for a trigger shoe in black.

My gun was $95.07 TL. I had put it in the shopping cart and after a couple email reminders that I had left "items in your cart", Crosman broke down and sent me a code for free shipping. I don't know if they make a habit of this, just thought I'd mention it. I believe shipping was going to be $14.00 or so.

I was a little concerned the LOP of the skeleton stock would be too short but it's over 15"! This came as a pleasant surprise. I cut a piece of plumbing pipe gray foam insulation to slip on the top rail of the stock for use with a scope or red dot.

Any of these guns can be modded to the moon, as you know. Whatever you decide, good luck!

BillK

What are you going to do with the gun?  Pistol or carbine......Makes a difference in sights & mods & cost.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Tommy

Quote from: dow on April 05, 2017, 06:17:04 AM

Buy one with the extra features found in the custom shop, and start shooting when it arrives.  Changes/mods can be made later when the warranty is over.  Then buy another gun so you have one to shoot and one to modify.  The (stock plastic breech with no way to mount anything) and the (stock rear sight that is hard to adjust), (stock short barrel)  mostly end up in a MT shoe box with no place to go.   The williams sight and longer barrel do cost a bit more but do so much more.   Start with a gun you can shoot right away.

Then wait till the Christmas holidays to shop for another fine gun.  There will be lots of sales with free shipping then.  It is worth the wait to see the $ that can be saved that time of year.

dow

Quote from: BillK on April 05, 2017, 03:12:29 PM
What are you going to do with the gun?  Pistol or carbine......Makes a difference in sights & mods & cost.

I THINK I'm leaning towards a carbine.  We're trying to attract purple martins, and the starlings and sparrows have discovered the martin house.  I've got a springer from flying dragon (several years old), but I've never really been happy with it, so I thought that this might be a good replacement.  On the other hand, a pistol would be fun too.  Too bad I can't justify both, :)
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

bgmcgee

Personally the custom shop is the better deal.  You can't buy the breech cheaper than if you go with the custom shop gun and you will eventually get a steel breech to replace the plastic breech on the 2240. The sights are going to cost a little depending on what you go with. Carbine wise putting a low power scope would work well and with the steel breech it is easy. If you go with the Williams sight get it when you order the gun because Crosman custom shop has the best price and it's the correct model to work with the front sight.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

dow

Quote from: bgmcgee on April 05, 2017, 07:54:26 PM
If you go with the Williams sight get it when you order the gun because Crosman custom shop has the best price and it's the correct model to work with the front sight.

I like aperture sights, but what do you recommend I do about adding a LDC?  Obviously I'd have to replace the front sight with something.  Any ideas?

Also, are the LW barrels that much better than the crosmans?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

BillK

The Williams WGRS54 is an aperture sight and different sized apertures are available for it.  The front on an LDC the Benjamin Disco front sight.  (Witch is also a Williams)
You can drill & tap & screw it on or just use glue.
Rear sight is here: 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/121512/williams-wgrs-54-guide-receiver-peep-sight-savage-anschutz-54-141-141m-153-153s-remington-541s-winchester-310-320-9422-most-22-caliber-dovetail-receivers-aluminum-black
Front Sight you get from Crosman Part# 1761-025 About $13.oo & comes w/mounting screw.

This is the WGRS54 with the aperture changed out to a sight blade.  Different blades available.
  Then a long probe from Don Cothran. http://www.cothranmachine.com/  And your all set, maybe.... ;)
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

dow

Quote from: cobalt327 on April 05, 2017, 11:50:55 AM
I had put it in the shopping cart and after a couple email reminders that I had left "items in your cart", Crosman broke down and sent me a code for free shipping. I don't know if they make a habit of this, just thought I'd mention it. I believe shipping was going to be $14.00 or so.

Same thing has happened to me, cobalt.  Thanks for the hint!

Quote from: BillK on April 05, 2017, 11:43:43 PM
The Williams WGRS54 is an aperture sight and different sized apertures are available for it.  The front on an LDC the Benjamin Disco front sight.  (Witch is also a Williams)
You can drill & tap & screw it on or just use glue.
Rear sight is here: 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/121512/williams-wgrs-54-guide-receiver-peep-sight-savage-anschutz-54-141-141m-153-153s-remington-541s-winchester-310-320-9422-most-22-caliber-dovetail-receivers-aluminum-black
Front Sight you get from Crosman Part# 1761-025 About $13.oo & comes w/mounting screw.

Then a long probe from Don Cothran. http://www.cothranmachine.com/  And your all set, maybe.... ;)

Thanks Bill.  If I don't get an LDC, would the WGRS54 be too tall for the standard front blade?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

cobalt327

----------

BillK

Thanks Bill.  If I don't get an LDC, would the WGRS54 be too tall for the standard front blade?
[/quote]

"Probably" not.   ;)  I really don't know.  There is a lot of adjustability built into the WGRS54 and you can always get a 760 sight for a few $ which is higher than the 22xx type sights.  Or you can put a longer post sight in the Crosman 2300S type sight/brake.  Lots of options.  All it takes is lots of $. :(
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

JEBert

QuoteIf I don't get an LDC, would the WGRS54 be too tall for the standard front blade?

Dow,
Yes, the WGRS54 sight is just a little tall for a standard 2240 front sight.  If you order a custom gun, choose one of the optional muzzle brakes and if the front sight pin is still a little short (it is on one of my guns), you can put a small washer or two under it.  I have one that I put a #6 SS washer under the pin and it shoots fine at 5M & 10M.  It has the stock valve and hammer spring though so it may depend on barrel length, whether you use a power adjuster, or mod your valve, etc.  WGRS54 has plenty of up elevation for longer ranges too.

On a carbine with stock internals and a 10" barrel, I have a WGRS54 peep with a Crosman part # 66-201 front sight (off of the C88 pneumatic rifle) that shoots great @ 10M.  The Custom Shop optional muzzle brakes with the #2300-028 sight pin is about 1/8" taller.

Hope this helps.

Many blessings,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)