• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Question for those with Bipods.

Started by Catfish33, March 30, 2011, 03:33:41 PM

Catfish33

When you shoot your carbines, does the bipod change the point of impact compared to shooting it with out it? I tuned mine in resting the gun on the pump arm and shot crazy small groups. Then shot it resting the barrel about 3-4 inches past the barrel band and shot nice tight groups but about 1" higher. I am wondering if I need to add a couple of more set (grub) screws to my steel breech.  Couple of blurry pics of my 1377.

quickster47 †

I would not think using a bipod on the gun effects accuracy but then that could depend on where you mount it.  And as you mentioned, the further away from the root of the barrel mount, the worse it shot.  Normally you would mount your bipod as close the the stock base as possible simply to eliminate any bending moment on the barrel.  And no matter how small it is, the bending moment, it will effect accuracy.

On my Crosman steel breechs I always add two more set screws for additional rigidity.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Nate

i have 2 bipods, one clamps on the barrel of my winchester 500xs break barrel, and a harris bipod clone on my qb78. the one on my winchester REALLY effects the point of impact, i can only shoot it with the bipod, i tried shooting standing or kneeling or sitting and it shoots about 1.5 -2 ft low. i think that this is because when using the bipod it pushes up on the barrel a bit (its a break barrel) and it makes the gun shoot higher, and i have it zeroed for the bipod, the one on my qb78 doesent seem to effect the point of impact at all, i can shoot it in any position with no problems what so ever

woody67

It's too bad the endcap/barrel band that allows you to have a longer barrel doesn't also stick out a little bit in front of the tube. That would be a perfect way to attach the bipod without having to put upward pressure on the barrel.

Maybe you could attach a small piece of barrel through the band and secure it somehow, and attach your bipod to that. Just a thought.  I wouldn't mind having that feature on my 2240. Maybe a 2 inch barrel piece welded to the C02 screw on cap piece...

1377x

i always wondered about this - the use of bipods excellent post

carl,
QuoteOn my Crosman steel breechs I always add two more set screws for additional rigidity.
did this help?
i was thinking about adding another set screw myself
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Quote from: 1377x on March 30, 2011, 04:43:02 PM
i always wondered about this - the use of bipods excellent post

carl,did this help?
i was thinking about adding another set screw myself

I'm convinced it does help keep the barrel more rigid and that fact helps improve accuracy and consistent shot placement.  Some may poo-poo the idea but for me personally, it works.  And there is also the peace of mind thing that really helps.  Besides, it take very little effort and work for this mod to get 'er done.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Rualert

I too have extra screws in my steel breeches, and I agree they do help keep the barrel anchored. As far as a bi-pod, I think that the 2250 barrel band on a non pumper is just the ticket to mount one, I'm going to give it a try here soon. I too noticed that my XT when rested on a shooting bag, resting the guns fore end on said bag shoots to the set POI, however, while shooting one day, I had slid the bag forward, and the barrel was resting on said bag. when that happened, the POI went up about two inches, even with the well anchored steel breech. So yes any upward pressure on the barrel will change the POI. Maybe someone like Mr. Mellon could make a pumper end cap with a short extension pre drilled and tapped for attaching a bi-pod to the pump guns. might even be a big seller for those who like to take those long shots!  ;)

Casey

1377x

good luck trying to get someone to make you an end cap
i tried that everyone is to busy
closed mouths dont get fed

tatsumi

Gmac's barrel band has both Stud and dovetail mount. anyone with an airforce/gunpower bipod can mount to this, other than that theres the utg sniper bipod so a small dovetail to weaver adapter can be fitted and your fixed and if you get one with the reach forward design you could even mount a small laser to it too for short range work.
Just my two pence :)

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

Catfish33

eric

i had  an accuracy issue with a bipod mounted on the barrel of a 1740 .off a rest things were good and with the bipod not so good.i don't think barrel mounted bipods are worth the headache .mount one the the stock ,etc .... or not at all
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

eric

Quote from: 1377x on March 30, 2011, 07:30:43 PM
good luck trying to get someone to make you an end cap
i tried that everyone is to busy
i have a source  ;)

Catfish33

Only problem with mounting one on the stock of a 1377 is the pump arm factor. LOL But I am learning that the barrel mounted bipod is a pain the keester for sure. If I were always going to use the bipod that would be fine, because it shoots tight groups with it. But I like shooting prone seated or off-hand way to much to make it dedicated only one way. May look into a way to mount it to the barrel band someway. Not exactly sure how to go about that yet though.

Quote from: eric on March 31, 2011, 03:38:02 PM
i had  an accuracy issue with a bipod mounted on the barrel of a 1740 .off a rest things were good and with the bipod not so good.i don't think barrel mounted bipods are worth the headache .mount one the the stock ,etc .... or not at all

eric

yeah i should have stated on something besides a msp(pumper) sorry  :( :)
Quote from: Catfish33 on March 31, 2011, 05:05:03 PM
Only problem with mounting one on the stock of a 1377 is the pump arm factor. LOL But I am learning that the barrel mounted bipod is a pain the keester for sure. If I were always going to use the bipod that would be fine, because it shoots tight groups with it. But I like shooting prone seated or off-hand way to much to make it dedicated only one way. May look into a way to mount it to the barrel band someway. Not exactly sure how to go about that yet though.

pump-n-dump

Quote from: Catfish33 on March 31, 2011, 05:05:03 PM
Came up on a search but I wanted to note that I've put a quick disconnect bipod on my 1377 carbine by having a barrel spacer made. Works great and since it's right up on the barrel band/pump arm mount, there's no detectable deflection from barrel flex. You can check it out via the link in my signature.