• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

HDD from AOA DON'T BUY

Started by oletom, May 03, 2011, 01:01:47 AM

oletom

well has my HDD from AOA bout a week, and it has failed already, I called AOA tough S*** they told me so I'm out $26.00 with shipping.... so be aweare if u buy one of these there is no warranty of any kind.....I followed directions and oiled with every new cartridge, and it still failed .....bummer

arkmaker †

Sorry to hear that Tom. How many shots did you get before the failure? I've been doing testing of my own, so it's of interest.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

tatsumi

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

eric

regardless of all they're good for and all the positive posts about these , it is these posts that keep me from wasting my money --- sorry to hear it didn't work out for you .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

oletom

I guess I shoulda read the fine print, I shot maybe 50 shots....had it been a buck or two , but $26.00 it should have lasted longer than that....I'm thinkin i didn't oil it enough...I put a drop each timne I put in a new cartridge and I oil the cart. tip at the same time....it worked good for as long as it lasted but I can't say I recomnend it to anyone, at least for the price they get...AOA told me they are made for them by a individual......that tubing must cost a whole nickel...well guess i have vented enough....back to enjoyin the shootin (minus the HDD)maybe I will start workin on one .  the 1/4od poly tubing might work. its feels like same material, the HDD   has a slightly larger id than my poly tube but may still work... :-*

mr007s

I bought one just to get the measurements. Along the same time my Visa was hacked and I had that mess to clear up. Can't say it came from their site but have to wonder. I have made several on my own since then and they work great to. No failure yet on theirs or mine, and I do shoot a lot.

quickster47 †

Tom, I'm really sorry about the HDD failure and the problem you had with AoA.  I guess it's time we start looking at getting one made with the right material.  Mr007 what material are you using?

Someone else on here was talking about inserting some tubing inside the hammer spring in the rear.  He said it increased his shot count and also quieted his gun.  We need to check with him on this.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mr007s

Quote from: quickster47 on May 03, 2011, 02:30:27 AM
Tom, I'm really sorry about the HDD failure and the problem you had with AoA.  I guess it's time we start looking at getting one made with the right material.  Mr007 what material are you using?

Someone else on here was talking about inserting some tubing inside the hammer spring in the rear.  He said it increased his shot count and also quieted his gun.  We need to check with him on this.

Carl

I call it white nylon but will check with our purchaser to be sure.

tatsumi

The tube thing was me carl, al post some results in my xt project page so as not to cluter this thread up.  I dint see it as a direct replacement to the known hdd but as a alternative it works just fine. My thoughts were that the main issue is the spring rattles around long after the hammer strike so taim it there at the source. Gets me thinking of the talon's spring system and how it was improved my haveing a guided hammer spring on the hammer its self. The tube just acts as a cheap way to dampen the vibrations.

tatsumi

mr007s

Quote from: mr007s on May 03, 2011, 02:50:20 AM

I call it white nylon but will check with our purchaser to be sure.

What I have been mistakenly calling white nylon I have been informed is white delrin.

Here has been my approach: Use gage pin to determine hole size in breech, usually .255-.260. Turn OD of Delrin to give a snug fit, maybe .001 bigger than the hole size.

I drill the ID.170. The stock one was drilled .18 but I want a little more wall thickness.
Part off to a length of .300.

The side of the Delrin is drilled .125 from one end for the cocking pin. The location leaves a .040" bit of material from the forward end(the end next to the hammer). This was as the stock one measured.
I drill back .020 more for a total of .06 wall from said end and drill just large enough for the pin to insert. Don't remember the precise drill size, maybe .118

Stand the HDD on end with the pin hole up. With a razor knife carefully slice from the pin hole edge to the end. I make a small second slice from about midway of hole to the end on a slight angle.

I find these slight variances give a bit more material for strength and the snug fit helps in quieting the hammer.
Hope this helps and isn't too confusing to you.

oletom

sounds like u hsve nailed it...thanks for the info....I'm sure I'll ruined a few before I get it right....I like the idea of leaving more thickness on the end, that is where mine failed...I have a disco spring and a .300 spacer an I'm thinkin  this may have been the problem.....thanks for helping on this matter, Tom

arkmaker †

OK, I'll try the next one I make just like yours.
Thanks,
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22