• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2240-2250 guns compared to a mac 1 LD

Started by airgunbuff, June 26, 2011, 04:30:36 PM

airgunbuff

Over the years i have built perhaps 25-28 2240-2250 platform guns.  I did this for many reasons.  sometimes a kid in our club wanted to try his hand at pistol shooting, and other times I built up a 22xx platform gun to see if i could build upa 22xxplatform to exceed the LDs performance.  Eachtime I made this endevor the LD would be superiour hands down.  In my lifetime i have had 7-8 L.Ds.  currently I have 2 LDs with venom shrouds with Cracked ice shrouds mounted over the venom shrouds.  Can you say quiet !!!  Very accurate, and powerful.
as much as I have tried over the years I can not match the consistant performance of an L.D.  I could get more power, not good in its self...but would lose consistantacy.  I have spend up to 600.00 on a 22xx platform only to come back to the reality that the L.D is a world class airgun.  Do I like the 22xx guns ??/yes I do..but dollar for dollar one just cannot beatthe performance, trigger and power of an LD.  I do not work for Tim of Mac 1...But I can say after years of trail and error.  The crosman mark one and two platforms are the way to go if one is seeking to upgrade a c02 pistol.
Cheap is always good....and the crosman custom shop allows one to build a fine C02 pistol but it will never be a LD.....Rant over !!!  Please note this is not a bashing post..I love all the crosman guns...but the mark one platform is the cats meow....Sure wish this platform would be brought back.
kindly
ron

CrazyGrant

I like the 2240 platform as well and built 8 of them. They are very accurate and fun to build but the LD I have is superior in consistency and accuracy at longer ranges. I attribute that to the valve modification and HW barrel Tim uses as well as with the hangy tank allowing liquid to stay in the tank and not in the valve.

It is to bad Crosman does not dust off the molds and make the MK I anymore. For alot of guys it is just cheaper to build the 2240 a bit at a time.

airgunbuff

Point very well taken
" For alot of guys it is just cheaper to build the 2240 a bit at a time."  in these hard economic times you hit the nail on the head.  For me i would be willing to spend 100.00 for a new crosman mark in 22 cal if it was just like the ones made back in the day.  I shoot my ruger mark 2s allot and when ipick up a old crosman mark well you know..I am in heaven.....They say we can never go back but crosman would have a gold mine on thier hand if the brought the mark back...Just my 2 cents.
kindly
ron

eric

as recent and last purchase (so far) i picked up a mkI at higher than going rate but overall very  pleased with the purchase . the feel and the trigger is awesome.haven't shot a LD as of yet and most of the feedback i read is in line of what your saying.as for crosman going back in time to resurrect  those old school guns that would be great but cost of new verses old is probably significantly lower .look at the module guns they produce and what they have done away with so they can bring others in and still stay competitive. i would be all for a current model of the CR160 .the mkI and II would be nice but the price would probably be too high for most imo
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

NorthStaR

The MK1 is my favourite pistol. I too would like to see its return but at least after all this time they keep resurfacing for
the next cosman patient. I got a reseal kit from Tim at Mac1 and it made an old leaker a sealed pin point shooter.

My MK1 has more power than a 2240 stock.  :-*

Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

zoned

Quote from: CrazyGrant on June 26, 2011, 07:13:18 PM
I like the 2240 platform as well and built 8 of them. They are very accurate and fun to build but the LD I have is superior in consistency and accuracy at longer ranges. I attribute that to the valve modification and HW barrel Tim uses as well as with the hangy tank allowing liquid to stay in the tank and not in the valve.

It is to bad Crosman does not dust off the molds and make the MK I anymore. For alot of guys it is just cheaper to build the 2240 a bit at a time.
Well put. That's why Tim has no problems selling them. If you want the most accurate pistol at 25-50 yards that money can buy, it's the Mac1 LD.

quickster47 †

I have and have had 20 different 2240 guns.  All built to different specifications and power levels.  They all shot or shoot great.  I also have two Mark 1s and one LD.  And all I can say is that until you have shot a Mark 1 or the LD, you cannot appreciate the difference.  When Crosman built the Mark 1 and Mark 2 they really raised the bar on CO2 pistols just as they did with the Crosman 600.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

CrazyGrant

I started slow on my LD. I bought a MKI for $130 and then save up for the LD w/o hangy tanks. I saved some more and bought hangy tanks. So built mine over time and it is a machine.

Joshua A

The MKI is my favorite crosman pistol too, as mentioned by some others. The trigger is superior, the power is good, the accuracy is just right on, and it looks and feels amazing! I have an old mkI in near new condition and I just love it. I feel that the the LD has the reputation for being the "Absolute Cream of the Crop" in crosman pistols.... I have wanted one for a really long time, and one day i will have one. one day!!! I love the 22xx guns as well, but i cant imagine one being better than an LD. it kinda like comparing old muscle cars to new ones. the classics will win everytime. lol. its just not fair in this scenerio. the LD is a super-modified version of an already superior gun, lol.

J.Austin

NorthStaR

MKI =  :-\

One thing I notice is that rarely does the MKII get a mention. Other than caliber is there a reason the MKI is more popular? Did they make more MKI's?  ???

Other than grip colour and caliber I don't think there's any major differences...curiouser and curiouser!

For me .22 is my preferred caliber hence the MKI over the MKII.  :P
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

quickster47 †

"Curiouser and Curiouser" said Alice, and NorthStar.  Amazing cause there are so few people that really know that quote.  I'm impressed.  :-*

I think there were more Mark 1s made but you are correct in that I rarely see the Mark II mentioned and that is odd because most target shooters prefer .177.  I know I do and most all of my high end guns are .177.

Strange, very strange...

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

NorthStaR

Double-tap!

PFJ

Quote from: airgunbuff on June 26, 2011, 04:30:36 PM
I have 2 LDs with venom shrouds with Cracked ice shrouds mounted over the venom shrouds.  Can you say quiet !!! 
ron

Never heard of shroud on shroud mounting. Your saying there is another "Cracked ice" shroud over a venom shroud? Don't know what to think of that.

Noah

Quote from: quickster47 on June 27, 2011, 01:08:49 AM
I have and have had 20 different 2240 guns.  All built to different specifications and power levels.  They all shot or shoot great.  I also have two Mark 1s and one LD.  And all I can say is that until you have shot a Mark 1 or the LD, you cannot appreciate the difference.  When Crosman built the Mark 1 and Mark 2 they really raised the bar on CO2 pistols just as they did with the Crosman 600.

Carl

Okay, if you had to choose between a Mark I/II or a 2240 (both modified), which would YOU choose?  ???
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

chinaboy

I can't say I have seen many pictures of mark I and II's modified.  And is a Mac 1 the same as a Mark I?