• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

PC77 Upgrading

Started by DRAGON64, August 25, 2011, 04:37:53 AM

DRAGON64

Many have performed these simple upgrades, and I have had them for nearly a year, so it was about time I used them... and my Wally-world PC77 is the grand recipient. 

Here is the before...

For right now, it is just two simple upgardes, and they are the Crosman Steel Breech...

...and the Bluefork Barrel band.  Please note that Michael Chavka may be marketing these barrel bands now, but that has not been confirmed by me...

I nearly stripped the head out on this screw trying to get it out... little bugger!

I dumped the old plastic band...

inlieu of the awesome new Bluefork design...

Everything else is pretty straight forward, so here are the after shots...

...and yes, I used the piece that fits between the barrel and the airtube, as the barrel is supported by a set screw in the barrle band and the breech... it is not free-float like many shooters prefer... and I like the look of the completed piece...

Next I plan to get the fully adjustable Williams blade sight, flat top piston and valve, and hope to top it off with a nice set of target grips... much left to do on this one.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

1377x

its about time :P ;D ;D ;D
nice additions!
closed mouths dont get fed

DRAGON64

Still no word from AC  :(  He is one of the few one-stop-shops that has everything in one place...sans a nice set of target grips.

I need a nice flat top piston and valve.  I would prefer brass and adjustable piston, but if I was convinced that delrin would work, then I will head that path.  My triggers are sticky and stiff, so I would like a nice spring and spring guide... speaking of springs, I would like a hammer spring guide as well.  I would like to get all of it in one place, but I'm sure that would be a stretch... maybe Mountain Air could hook me up, but again, I'm leary of Delrin and pump-pins etc.

I have been talking with Rick at airgrips.com to see about getting a nice set of target grips made up... here is his site:

http://airgrips.com

I would like this...

In this color...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

bildio

The AC Contact Us web page says "not currently taking orders".

I wonder about brass vs. delrin FT pistons too.
Bill

DRAGON64

Quote from: bildio on August 25, 2011, 02:13:16 PM
The AC Contact Us web page says "not currently taking orders".

I wonder about brass vs. delrin FT pistons too.

Well, I'm sure the piston itself is fine, but I'm leary of the pivot pin of the pump arm wearing on the piston hole, causing slack over time.  This may be unfounded, as the Crosman piston is plastic... but if you are upgrading, then the brass piston just looks tastier... so to speak.  Again though, Delrin may be just as good and last just as long, but I just do not know.

Would someone who has used one or the other, or both, care to chime in?

quickster47 †

I have a two year old 1377 in which I installed a brass valve and brass piston almost after I got it.  It has been in use now for more than 22 months and I've probably put more than 2,500 pellets through it.  So far the brass piston pivot point is showing no abnormal signs of wear.  I know this because I just tore it down the other day to check my valve for corrosion.

I know there are folks who have also put that many rounds through a box stock 1377 with the plastic piston and they have not reported any unusual wear problems.

But that does not mean you will get the same mileage.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

DRAGON64

Quote from: quickster47 on August 25, 2011, 02:56:58 PM
I have a two year old 1377 in which I installed a brass valve and brass piston almost after I got it.  It has been in use now for more than 22 months and I've probably put more than 2,500 pellets through it.  So far the brass piston pivot point is showing no abnormal signs of wear.  I know this because I just tore it down the other day to check my valve for corrosion.

I know there are folks who have also put that many rounds through a box stock 1377 with the plastic piston and they have not reported any unusual wear problems.

But that does not mean you will get the same mileage.

Carl

This is good to know... I really like the looks of the piston and valve from AC.  But he has not returned my email, and like Mike says, his website states he is not taking any orders at this time... I hope he does not close shop.

Plasticman

Haven't had any problems with my delrin piston. 1500 rounds and looks like new. I just had the gun apart to do some other things and every thing looks great.

DRAGON64

Mr. Mellon stated the same thing to me in an email... sayd that the pistons he makes are pretty nice and rugged.  For $15 I believe I will get a couple for my pistolero's

1377x

i broke my mellon piston.it wasnt adjusted right,stretched all the holes(please dont say thats what she said)
broke the face.really cant remember if the pivot hole on the piston stretched.i dont think it did,i was using a mellon pin kit that seemed to help

DRAGON64

Quote from: 1377x on August 26, 2011, 03:34:24 PM
...stretched all the holes(please dont say thats what she said)

Thats funny right there, I don't care who ya are...

1377x

Quote from: DRAGON64 on August 26, 2011, 03:36:45 PM
Thats funny right there, I don't care who ya are...
i guess i should say i said it for you already
seems like every time i post about holes and penetration someone will say it.on some other forums i had to change my wording.someone would say that and a female member would find it offensive, my post would get locked due to going off topic

DRAGON64

Okay, AC replied to my email, and stated that he will be back in business at the end of the month... so I sent him my order, and I am waiting for him to open and geive me a price...

Today, I finally received my Williams rear sight from Pyramyd Air. 

1st Impressions; I not impressed from a cool factor.  It is "plain-jane" with very little markings on it.  In fact, the Williams name was bare legible with the white paint thye used to enhance it... for this I paid too much.

Cnstruction; This sight, upon closer inspection, is built very solid.  It mounts nicely and is solid.  The windage and elevation adjustements are nice and crisp... For this, the price was a little more justifiable...

I like the fiber optic in the Bluefork Barrel Band...

So plain...

Using a rest for all shots but one, I managed to keep groupings inside of 2.75" @ 75' (25-yards give or take)

The Williams sight is a nice mod for this pistol, now I need to complete the internals... trigger spring and guide, hammer spring and guide, flat top valve and flat top piston.

bildio

Looking real good. I like the Williams sight, & too me it has a cool factor. If I didn't already have one, your photos would make me want to get one. The front sight on your pistol is a nice mod too.
Bill

arkmaker †

I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22