• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Lead-free pellets in a 1377

Started by satch, September 07, 2011, 09:22:10 PM

satch

Anyone had any experience with lead-free pellets in a 1377?

I'm worried about lead in my shooting environment as I have a goodly pack of overly inquisitive dogs, and the idea of lead (or worse yet, tiny lead fragments) finding their way into paws and jaws is not appealing.

My purposes are simple ... killing paper out back.

Anyone?

1377x

i have no experience with lead free pellets but have heard the crosman lead frees are not accurate
we have a pellet thread here with lots of pics
you try looking there and see if something catches your eye
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=637.0
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=981.0
closed mouths dont get fed

mcc1961

I have  used  the pba raptors in my  gamo sport and they all seem to go high above the target.I have only shot them about 10 times because I got them with the rifle,i had rather shoot lead pellets.
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

quickster47 †

I've tried at least six different types of lead free pellets and none of them are worth a hoot.  Only one that comes close is the Dynamic pellets by Prometheus and my Marauder pistol loves them.  And I know that is not a 1377.

It seems to me that the other lead free pellets tend to go unstable and wander all over the target.  But then that is at 25 - 50 yards and maybe you are wanting to shoot 10 meters with them.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

satch

I'd imagine much closer to 10m than 25-50yds, at least to start.  If I get bit by the bug hard it'll be a different conversation; one involving some under or side lever goodness and in a different budgetary range :-)

AZAG

If you're just punching paper you could use a pellet trap. That would keep the lead pellets contained. There are a couple threads on diy traps.

hellgrips98

lead free pellets are not reliable when it comes to accuracy... the element that resembles close to the accuracy of lead pellet is gold haha... but then we all gotta be millionaires to shoot em... for now all we need to do is be careful and always wash hands after handling them...

http://hellgrips98.webs.com/ click here to see my exotic wood grips

satch

Maybe we need to develop some safe unobtanium based pellets! :-/

Thanks for responses. Much to think about if accuracy becomes an issue.  Maybe changing intended shooting location from where the hounds are to where the hounds aren't might be best course of action....

laptopdragon

ive been using crosman SSP supersonic pellets, lead free alloy, .177 cal, and a 250ct tin was over 8 bucks at a walmart.
also, i am using an old speaker box as a pellet trap, and a spread-eagle phone book propped up inside to capture them all.

i cant say how accurate of a  shot i am, but i get 1/2inch groups at 5 meters..and i started shooting about 5 days ago..(i vote for a puppy free pellet trap)

++
Quote from: satch on September 08, 2011, 02:24:17 AM
Maybe we need to develop some safe unobtanium based pellets! :-/

i think it would be easier to design or create  a dog thats immune to lead at this state of  our medical technology. (or if we can change lead into gold ((yet)))

im with you on lead free for its health reasons, but then again, my grandfather has worked with lead since wwII, and he's sharp as a tack.   i wonder if anyone has used the copper coated pellets ? as i have seen the gold coated pellets, but they are too much $ for me to justify with my ability.   

laptopdragon

with my 5 meter range...hitting less than a dime
stock 1377 all the way...fresh out of the box, only thing done was indoor zeroing of the stock sights

using these

NOTE: these are toppling or spinning on impact, as you see the holes are hourglasses. this is likely due to my target being made out of wax cardboard, and overlaid on an inch of foam....combine that with a 3 pump (quiet) projectile, doesn't give enough energy for a clean mark.

yeilds these 2 bullseyes on my hand drawn target laid over a foam core   (computer packaging)

1st hit is the diamond...start point.
2nd hit is the lower center....

tdg

I saw these at my walmart, too have to give them a try. thanks laptopdragon

ScottyB

Quote from: hellgrips98 on September 08, 2011, 02:20:41 AM
for now all we need to do is be careful and always wash hands after handling them...

You mean lead is bad for you?????  When I was a kid back in the late 70s and after my dad bought me my 1322 I would throw a couple of "lead" pellets in my mouth so I wouldn't have to carry the pack around.  Back then they came in a small plastic box that wouldn't fit in my pocket.  I'm still fine...  tail and all.
"Thank God for rednecks!"-Tallahassee/Zombieland

DRAGON64

I would have never done this with pellets, but you reminded me of back in the day when we would load our mouth's with bb's and then we would spit the bb's into our little buck spring rifles (the little lever action pop guns). 

Quote from: ScottyB on September 11, 2011, 03:49:28 AM
You mean lead is bad for you?????  When I was a kid back in the late 70s and after my dad bought me my 1322 I would throw a couple of "lead" pellets in my mouth so I wouldn't have to carry the pack around.  Back then they came in a small plastic box that wouldn't fit in my pocket.  I'm still fine...  tail and all.

Key holing is not good.  At close range, they have not begun to change course, but extend your distances and the tumbling pellet will wreak havoc with your accuracy.  Look and make sure that your muzzle crown is not deformed or damaged.

Read here:

http://www.spiralsol.com/airgunmod/1001.htm

You can also look to make sure that the skirt on the pellet is not damaged, or maybe look for a burr in the throat that may be causing damage to the skirt when you load the pellet.  Regardless, the keyhole problem needs to be rectofied.

Quote from: laptopdragon on September 11, 2011, 02:43:53 AM
with my 5 meter range...hitting less than a dime
stock 1377 all the way...fresh out of the box, only thing done was indoor zeroing of the stock sights

NOTE: these are toppling or spinning on impact, as you see the holes are hourglasses. this is likely due to my target being made out of wax cardboard, and overlaid on an inch of foam....combine that with a 3 pump (quiet) projectile, doesn't give enough energy for a clean mark.

yeilds these 2 bullseyes on my hand drawn target laid over a foam core   (computer packaging)

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche