• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Ok guys... stupid red dot question?

Started by ScottyB, September 22, 2011, 04:12:15 PM

ScottyB

OK I understand that red dot scopes are ment for quick aquisition which is esential for military, law enforcement and speed competitions, but what is the real purpose for airguns.  I have a cheap Daisy red dot I got years back for my Airmaster and I must say it was a pain in the backside.  I found it hard to get sight of the red dot inline with the target in a swift manor.  Seems I was faster with iron sights.  Do you guys actually find red dots quicker and easier than iron sights?  Or is it all a matter of the cool factor?  Just curious to why you red dot guys went that route.
"Thank God for rednecks!"-Tallahassee/Zombieland

Cross Pistol Packer

For me its a matter of cant see with iron sights as old eyes cant focus down on anything close to my face,pistols are still ok at arms length...
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

Crosshairs

I still like my Crosshairs too i cant get into the red dot gig eather at least not for target shooting i have two red dot scopes and im not to crazy about them.I guess it's a matter of choice for the one useing them.  :-*
                                  Mike
BTW there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

My problem with iron sights is also 'older eyes'.  If I focus on the sights I can't see the target and if I focus on the target then the sights are extremely fuzzy.

Most red dots also have a large dot, like usually 8 MOA or greater.  You don't get a really small size dot till you go way up in price.  My Opmod EOtech sight has a 1 MOA reticle which makes it much easier to see your target.

When I was shooting my 1377, with the Konus red dot, at a target 25 yards away the dot covered most of the bullseye making it very, very difficult to get a good score.

Like anything else, it also takes some practice to become proficient using a red dot.  But once you get the hang of it, they ain't all that bad for most shooting.

Scopes with good quality optics are our friends.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

NorthStaR

I think it depends on the quality of the dot or the MOA as it were. 3 MOA is a nice crisp dot. Cheap ones can be blurry and ghost like
double vision.

I have one on my 1322 and I shoot with both eyes open. I have it close like a scope so one eye (dominant eye) projects it on the target.
What my eyes focuses on also has the dot in focus - like a holographic sight in a sense.

Not so good for long ranges but fine for shorter distances IMHO. At long distances the dot may cover too much of the target
but I guess if your skill is high you may no whats what in that respect if you get my meaning.  ;)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Capt. Thomas

Carl and Northstar both hit it on the head. Dot & Holo sights are for CQB operations (close quarters combat) and do take some practise to get use to. They are designed to use with both eye's open to keep your field of vision / situational awareness at maximum and to aquire moving targets or multiple targets quickly at close to medium ranges. If you use both eyes open and give it an open mind, the hits will follow. I didn't like them at first but now they are my sight of choice for 200m or less. I dropped 4 running, diving / rolling, dodging marks from two directions and at different ranges from 40m to 100m, with 5 shots in less than 10 seconds.
Not bad for a "older" guy with getting bad eyes!

Also try and stay away from anything larger than 4 MOA. The dot is to big for plinking small targets. For a little more distance and or "finer" work, there are some magnifed versions but they are spendy. I have a flip away 5x magnifier I carry on my M4 but it's heavy and to big for pistol mounting. I had a pic of it posted somehere here, next to a 1377 but I can't find just this moment?

Capt. Thomas
My prayer to God is a very short one: 'Oh, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' God has granted it. - Voltaire
Capt. James Thomas

SaiCo

I had the Crosman version mounted on a nightstalker (the rifle that got me back into AGs)
For the money, it's a good unit. Never tried one on a pistol though.
Seems like a good idea for those unexpected up close shots, or maybe for
fast moving targets.
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

1377x

i like my cheap red dots.in the sun light the dots are like pin points.i usually dont shoot further than 25 yards. in sunlight at 25 yards the dot is still pin point and i think they are 5moa
i used a cheap nc star red dot on my disco pistol

in the sun the dot stayed small.i shoot both eyes open and moving target head shots were no problem out to 20-25 yards even tried a 75+ shot heard a twack, the tree rat jumped about 3ft in the air,must have hit the branch it was sitting on it sat there for a couple of minutes then ran down the tree.
all my guns sport cheap red dots except the 2100 it already has accuracy issues so i scoped it.
the funniest incident was when i hit a t.r. moving across the roof as i was aiming my nephew's 2 year old daughter asked what i was doing,i said watch. made my shot and she said oh no :o the puppy tripped!
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

What the heck is up with that cool stainless barrel band?  ???

First time I've seen that mod on here...   :D   ;D

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

JEBert

QuoteWhat the heck is up with that cool stainless barrel band?  ???
Ingenuity at its finest!  ;D
Hey, if it works...
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

1377x

Quote from: quickster47 on September 23, 2011, 01:11:38 AM
What the heck is up with that cool stainless barrel band?  ???

First time I've seen that mod on here...   :D   ;D

Carl
thats not the first time you saw that awsome breech band
i was getting leaks and stripped out the breech screw hole.

a guy up in canada makes a nice one that rsterne developed and gave to him to produce.mine works for me  ;)

i used this gun the other day to take out a tree rat on the move.its using a tasco rd 30

again both eyes open
closed mouths dont get fed

Make MY day

There are times when a RD is a lot better that crosshairs.  Had one crosshair pistol scope on my 454 Casual, but since I wear bifocals, I had a hell of a time focusing without having to either tilt my head back to see out of the bottom half of the glasses or putting the scope a few inches from my face.  With my BSA RD, I do not even need my glasses.
With age comes skills.
It's called 'Multi Tasking'.
I can
Laugh, Cough, Sneeze, Fart and Pee all at the same time.

JEBert

QuoteNever tried one on a pistol though.
Seems like a good idea for those unexpected up close shots, or maybe for
fast moving targets.
Saico,
Scroll down to the third target.
www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=4583.0
Cheap BSA red dot is working pretty good for 5M.  Not to brag but I am currently running in first place this month with it.
Worse part is my old eyes want to put a tail on the bottom of the dot indoors.  It works much better for me out in the sun.  I am fighting it indoors with a small aperture on my shooting glasses.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member

JEBert

Quote from: JEBert on September 25, 2011, 03:37:15 AM
Saico,
Scroll down to the third target.
www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=4583.0
Cheap BSA red dot is working pretty good for 5M.  Not to brag but I am currently running in first place this month with it.  Someone will probably beat it by the end of the month.
Worse part is my old eyes want to put a tail on the bottom of the dot indoors.  It works much better for me out in the sun.  I am fighting it indoors with a small aperture on my shooting glasses.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member

breakfastchef

I have a cheap-o red dot. It is terrific. I can easily acquire a target and hit it with both eyes open. If you ar eon the fince, buy a cheap NCStar or CenterPoint red dot sight. I think it is well worth the small cost. Depending on what your target is, the red dot can do you very well.

Just like any optical sight (i.e. red dot, scope), there will be a fair amount of movement of your sight to the target until you begin to control your firearm. This has been an ongoing problem for me. Optical-type scopes magnify the smallest movements as you try to acquire your target. Iron sights seem to be more forgiving to me. I suppose practice is always needed to shoot your rig accurately.
Larry