• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Black Socket Head Cap Screw "kits" deal

Started by Mikes Garage, September 24, 2011, 01:57:15 PM

Mikes Garage

UPDATED 10/20/2011 to correct some technical errors.  //Mike

Hi All,

I just bought a bunch of socket head cap screws for my 2240s and 1377s.  Since I bought a box of each, I have way more than I need.  These are much nicer screws than the stock ones.  They have a black oxide finish which tends to be dull compared to the shiny finish of the stock screws.  Of course, they use hex (allen) wrenches rather than a screwdriver, so they are much more positive to drive.   And they look Industrial Cool!

In the spirit of mr007s and quickster47/Carl's generosity with the 4-48 breech screw offer, I am offering these in a kind of similar deal.

What you get:

(3x) 8-32 x 3/4" button head cap screws.  See note below.
(2x) 6-32 x 1/2" flat head cap screws to attach the grips to the frame
(2x) 4-40 x 3/8" flat head cap screws to attach the trigger frame to the grip frame
(2x) 8-32 x 1/8" set screws to add to your Crosman steel breech to float the barrel.  This is identical to the screw used by Crosman to clamp the barrel into the breech.  Also the same screw used by Crosman in the barrel band.
(2x) 6-32 x 1/8" set screws to use in pinning your valve. 

I don't have the pan head 5-40 screw that holds the 2240 valve in place, nor do I have the 4-48 x 1/4" breech screws. 

Note:  One 8-32 x 3/4" screw will fit the rear of the steel breech perfectly.  It is slightly short (by about ~1/16") for the plastic breech so I can't recommend using it.  The other two screws will have to be cut shorter to fit the two underside (front & rear) gripframe screw locations.  How to do this:  Put a couple of 8-32 nuts on the screw before you cut it; after cutting, grind the screw to the exact correct length (matching the stock Crosman screw), and file the damaged cut end to clean it up.  Then, work the first nut off to straighten the remaining damaged threads.  This will often result in a raised burr, so hit the end a second time with your file.  Now remove the second nut and touch the end with a file if needed.  The point end of the fastener should then be restored to very acceptable condition.

If you need a couple of 8-32 nuts to perform this procedure, just let me know and I'll throw them in.  The screw can be cut with a dremel or hack saw.  Wirecutters would work but they would have to be good ones and the screw material may damage the cutting edges (Socket Head cap screws are STRONG!).

For those who are not completely familiar with these types of screws:  the heads are not exactly the same as those provided by Crosman.  Of course there is the difference in drive (hex vs. slot), but the head shape is not exactly identical.  The head shapes I have are the closest in appearance to stock screws that you can buy in the socket head family.  For example, Crosman's grip screws are Oval Head fasteners, which have a slightly convex shape to the top of the head.  This type of screw is not made in the socket head family, so I am supplying flat head screws instead.

None of these screws have the (blue) loctite patch that some of the Crosman screws have.  I recommend using blue loctite to install. 

If you want a slightly different mix, or a couple additional of those mentioned, just ask. 

If I had been thinking, I would have ordered long set screws to use as travel stops for the trigger.  Maybe next time.

Here's the deal:

Send me your address and I'll mail you out the screws.  When you get them, throw 4 bucks per set in an envelope and mail it back to me.  Add a buck if you asked for a couple extras.

Mike

quickster47 †

PM sent after I post this note to you.  :)

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

zuke

"Put a couple of 8-32 nuts on the screw before you cut it; after cutting, grind the screw to the exact correct length (matching the stock Crosman screw), and file the damaged cut end to clean it up.  Then, work the first nut off to straighten the remaining damaged threads.  This will often result in a raised burr, so hit the end a second time with your file.  Now remove the second nut and touch the end with a file if needed.  The point end of the fastener should then be restored to very acceptable condition."

You don't know how many time's I've tried to explain that to guy's, but I alway's get "yeah I know" after they screw up 3-4 time's.
PM shall be sent!
Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

I finally got around to installing all of the screws.  Good fit.  Thanks.  BTW- I tried to find these locally, and on-line, prior to ordering here- not much luck.  These were well worth the price.

Mikes Garage

quickster47 †

Mike's package deal on screws is great if you want to replace them all or even if you just need one or two because you can NEVER have enough spare screws.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

grumpy

Mikes Garage

Hi Guys,
I received several requests over the last week or so but have not been able to get to them until now.
Sorry for the delay, but I'm sending out kits today for "Grumpy", "Make my Day" and Capt. Thomas. 
If you sent me a PM or email also requesting screws, please remind me, because I have lost it.  Sorry about that!
Mike

0351_Vet

Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

breakfastchef

Larry