• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Pellet testing with 1377

Started by AZAG, October 11, 2011, 05:32:17 AM

AZAG

So I did some pellet testing with the 1377 today to see which pellet the gun prefered.  Shots were from 10 yards away, seats, two hands, and gun unsupported.  Each shot was five pumps and each target got five shots.  Results for CPHP and JSB Exact are below.

AZAG

Results for Beeman Laser and Predator Polymags are below.

AZAG

And finally results for RWS Super Dome is below.

AZAG

And the winner is, drumroll please, Predator Polymag at 0.449" ctc.
A close second was Beeman Laser at 0.609" ctc.  I pulled shot number four (the one in the 10 ring) and I knew it as soon as i pulled the trigger that it was no good.  Without that shot the Beemans move in #1 at 0.373" ctc.
A surprising third place was CPHP at 0.841" ctc.  It was my impression that the CPHP grouped worse than the JSB but clearly that is not the case.  It's possible that after washing the CPHP the groups with tighten  up.
Far behind in fourth place was JSB Exact at 1.114" ctc.
Close behind in fifth place was RWS Super Dome at 1.182" ctc.

I was very happy with the first three pellets, as all promise to be quite accurate.

I'm definitely going to run this test again with the gun rested to see if anything changes, and also try different pellets too.  All in the interest of science of course.

These results only apply to my 1377.  Your results may be similar or completely different.

1377x

i like the disclaimer at the end of your post.
it is so true
great test!
i will have a go at some predators one day.
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Like many others I use the Predator Polymag for hunting but they are too expensive to use for plinking.  For general purpose pellet wasting I use the big boxes of CP Ultra Magnums or whatever it is I have on hand in large quantities.

And thanks for your posting this information.  Pellet testing is something everyone should do once in awhile.

And your disclaimer is RIGHT-ON.  :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

AZAG

So I was happy with the results.  Happy enough to cruise by the target shooting forum and check it out for I think the first time.  I think that this post should really be over there.  Oh well, as I test new pellets I'll update this thread from time to time, and may even join in the monthly target competititon.

quickster47 †

Quote from: AZAG on October 12, 2011, 05:20:29 AM
Oh well, as I test new pellets I'll update this thread from time to time, and may even join in the monthly target competition.

We definitely would like to have you join in our monthly shooting events.  There are lots to choose from so I'm sure you could find something to suit your taste.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

LeadHead22

Now you have done it.  After seeing your pics and shooting I am going to have order even more pellets to see if I will attain similar results.  Good job.

AZAG

So yesterday I was practicing and decided to try a new pellet, CPUM.  The results were not good...1.551" ctc.

They seem to fit very tight in the breech.  I really had to push on the bolt to get it closed.  Has anyone else experienced this?

breakfastchef

Quote from: AZAG on October 15, 2011, 05:57:04 AMThey seem to fit very tight in the breech.  I really had to push on the bolt to get it closed.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Some pellets fit tighter than others. Most top-quality European manufacturers make the same pellets in varying skirt widths so a shooter can find the best pellet for their gun/barrel (i.e. a .177 (4.5mm) pellet can be purchased as 4.49mm, 4.50mm, 4.51mm, etc.). I do not know what Crosman does with their pellets as they rarely print the weight or skirt/head diameter on their packaging. Sometimes a tighter fit produces better accuracy and sometimes not.
Larry

AZAG

Washing the CPHP seams to have helped.  Five shots were 0.361" ctc, the best group yet.  I spent a lot of time this afternoon getting used to the new 2 stage sear, so its possible that the new sear helped the group too, but it is a clear improvement over the original testing.

AZAG

Quote from: breakfastchef on October 15, 2011, 01:36:57 PM
Some pellets fit tighter than others. Most top-quality European manufacturers make the same pellets in varying skirt widths so a shooter can find the best pellet for their gun/barrel (i.e. a .177 (4.5mm) pellet can be purchased as 4.49mm, 4.50mm, 4.51mm, etc.). I do not know what Crosman does with their pellets as they rarely print the weight or skirt/head diameter on their packaging. Sometimes a tighter fit produces better accuracy and sometimes not.

Polymag, laser, and CPHP grouped well, and superdome and CPUM poorly.

Polymag: head = 4.49mm, tail = 4.61mm
Beeman Laser: head = 4.48mm, tail = 4.60mm
Superdome: head = 4.48mm, tail = 4.77mm
CPHP: head = 4.51mm, tail = 4.64mm
CPUM: head = 4.51mm, tail = 4.60mm

It's interesting that the Superdome have a much bigger skirt than the other pellets, but the CPUM head and tail diameters are similar to the three pellets that  grouped well.

breakfastchef

Quote from: AZAG on October 16, 2011, 05:22:00 AMIt's interesting that the Superdome have a much bigger skirt than the other pellets, but the CPUM head and tail diameters are similar to the three pellets that  grouped well.

Here is a good read on pellet diamemeters - http://www.vogelusa.com/pellettesting.htm. Vogel also has other articles that may be of interest, as well.
Larry