• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

steel breech info from lady at crosman

Started by millipede, November 14, 2011, 10:05:12 PM

Smaug

... is that the custom ones are usually aluminum instead of steel.

With that said, I have the steel one, thinking it would be more durable with the bolt going back and forth, up and down, in that slot. I actually waited for it. But I'm noticing now that the steel breech is a rust magnet. If I don't keep it oiled ALL THE TIME, it rusts.

Custom aluminum may not have been a bad idea after all, especially if it is hardened. ;)
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

1377x

you right about the rust
when i get anything steel i clean it with eezox and rust doesnt form
after only one treatment 2-3 months ago store in a damp environment still no rust :D
closed mouths dont get fed

arkmaker †

My nightmares about some sweat shop overseas with workers getting a dollar a day and and the parts made coming back to the US or Europe and selling for a premium price, all while out manufacturing base shrinks. Ain't the global economy great. Heck, I don't even own a pair of jeans that were made in the US anymore  :(

Enough rant.......you young machinist's listen up........

If I was a young man, I would set up a shop and cater to the boat people. I have never experienced any other group of people that were so willing to part with cash and lots of it, for Stainless Steel goodies for their boats. It is a sickness that I know first hand (although I used to make my own parts) and that as I said, if I was younger, I would cash in on. Marine parts sell for much more than their worth and the demand is incredible even in this economy! Unfortunately, most of us air gunners are not quite as enthusiastic to part with our money. An example is the Crosman steel breech. What are they now 35 bucks? I just showed my bud at work one before I started the SS one and they all said why? Why am I doing it? I can't possibly make a one off for anywhere near that price, Just buy another one.............but, make one out of SS and call it a boat part and I could ask 2 bills for it. I kid you not......so once again, if their are any young machinist's on this forum.....rethink the future
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Smaug

and don't be so quick to discount our ability to part with hard-earned money, either. We buy a $55 Crosman 1377, then pour another few hundred into it. It's just that we stretch it out more than the boaters. We spend $25 here, and $30 there.

Now that you mention it, I bet there would be a demand for a blued stainless steel breech to fit Crosman 13xx and 22xx pistols...

The thing with machining these is that if you don't have a CNC set-up, you've got no chance. CNC set-ups are not cheap, and an entry-level one would probably crap out before it paid itself off on $30 parts. I haven't done any machining since high school, and CNC was just bursting on the scene in a big way back then.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

Crosshairs

Quote from: 1377x on November 15, 2011, 03:21:28 PM
i noticed differences in the crosman steel breeches
some have serial numbers,others dont,some have ugly tooling marks,some dont
i am lucky enough to be able to get breeches right now.no waiting for stock,no shipping its worth the couple extra dollars and tax to me for this luxury.
I still have the breech i got from you and it looks like a good one.
                                                    Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

1377x

i met some people from africa they are from liberia,nigeria,new guinea,cant recall
they send money back there
$50 a month usd.they said if they sent anymore than that it would get their family robbed and killed.for that $50usd a month they live like royalty according to them.
from that i get cost of living is not anything like here in america.
i can barely get an airgun for that.
the $1-$2 a day must be good pay in a place like that!

1377x

Quote from: Crosshairs on November 15, 2011, 03:51:19 PM
I still have the breech i got from you and it looks like a good one.
                                                    Mike
yeah
that was a good one
the couple i replaced those ones with were not as nice
there has been a couple of new shipments since then
i have not looked at the latest ones yet

arkmaker †

Quote from: Smaug on November 15, 2011, 03:48:01 PM

The thing with machining these is that if you don't have a CNC set-up, you've got no chance. CNC set-ups are not cheap, and an entry-level one would probably crap out before it paid itself off on $30 parts. I haven't done any machining since high school, and CNC was just bursting on the scene in a big way back then.

I don't agree with you about using CNC and I agree with you at the same time, as it would be cost prohibitive to use CNC for one style of breech.

If there were a cell of machines dedicated only to making breeches, you would be almost as efficient as if using CNC machines. It's all in the set up and since the Crosman breeches are nothing more than a series of straight cuts and holes, CNC gets no real advantage except maybe a little on the speed side.

At Marlin, 99% of the machines were set up in these cells (all manual), each for a specific part. At that time, we only had 4 (or was it 6) CNC mills in the shop. Nope, if done right, the manual machines are sturdier, more dependable and more cost efficient.......if set up properly! That's my take for a cottage industry. Now ask me if I would rather have a new Bridgeport Mill or a new HAAS CNC mill? Haaaaa!  ;D

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

QuoteNow ask me if I would rather have a new Bridgeport Mill or a new HAAS CNC mill? Haaaaa! 
ok i'll bite
which is it? ;D ;D

arkmaker †

1377x

;D ;Dthat's what i was thinking
stil had to ask  ;D ;D

quickster47 †

When I originally purchased my mill about 10 years ago I actually bought all the pieces to convert it to CNC.  I think now might be the time to do that.

It's a small mill but it does and will do anything I want.  One just has to take their time.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

dpricenator

Quote from: Nightshade on November 15, 2011, 02:04:49 AM
There are other sources?!?!  :o :o No kidding........ ???

Please......where and who?  ???

I got mine from Crooked Barn.  He says it's a replica of the Steel breech, but in black anodized aluminum, $42 including the long bolt.  he also has a trigger shoe kit, and many length barrels..

dpricenator

cheewee

Quote from: 1377x on November 15, 2011, 03:39:55 PM
you right about the rust
when i get anything steel i clean it with eezox and rust doesnt form
after only one treatment 2-3 months ago store in a damp environment still no rust :D

never heard of it but sounds interesting.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.