• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Red dot scopes??????

Started by mcc1961, November 22, 2011, 11:16:08 AM

mcc1961

Are red dot scopes made for shooting paper targets or more  for objects like cans or squirrels?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

quickster47 †

They can be used for either.  The problem is that with some of the cheaper red dots the dot itself becomes quite large at greater distances and when you are shooting targets the dot can completely cover the bull.  If you are going to shoot beyond 25 yards I would go with a scope.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Nate

i second that, however there are some a little more expenise ones you may want to look at, i have a centre point red dot (do n ot confuse with the leapers brand one, they look identical) but it has the finest dot i have ever shot with any red dot sight. small on low setting inddors tiny outdoors. but even at that. if i was shooting beyond 25 yds i would go with a scope anyway because i just like magnification better

Smaug

Powderburners, that is.

Since most of them have no magnification, there's no such thing as a required eye relief. They're not considered cheating in many places, since there's no magnification, but they're easier to line up. One only has to put the dot on the target.

But they also cost as much as scopes, if they have a small enough dot to be useful for airguns, so I don't buy them. The 2x20 BSA pistol scope at amazon has made red dots obsolete for my airgun uses. At $50 ea. they're only slightly more expensive than a cheap red dot, and a lot more precise. No batteries and associated hassles either.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

Cross Pistol Packer

I agree with Carl,red dots ok for quick target acquisition and up to 25yards range.
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...