• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Crosman Custom Shop: A bad thing, in some ways

Started by Smaug, December 13, 2011, 05:11:12 PM

Smaug

Reply 34 to this thread got me thinking...

If the 1377 were available as a custom shop gun, I may not have learned how to take mine apart and wrench on it. I saw how the whole thing works, and it was a great experience.

When it was time to put the de-bouncer in Kate's 2300T, I took one look and thought: "Well this looks just like a 1377, except without the pump mechanics. I can do this." The whole thing went very quickly.

Buying a Custom Shop gun is a cheaper way to get the parts we want, so the next generation of Crosman air pistol fans may never even get their hands dirty. More options is good, but when it comes time to spend more money for the privelege of doing it oneself, I don't see that happening much any more.

It's kind of sad, in a way. Kind of like how cars are no fun to work on any more, since everything is electronic and packed in so tightly.

We're a dying breed, fellas. :(
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

breakfastchef

Quote from: Smaug on December 13, 2011, 05:11:12 PMBuying a Custom Shop gun is a cheaper way to get the parts we want, so the next generation of Crosman air pistol fans may never even get their hands dirty.

The vast majority of folks then, now and in the future are not likely to 'wrench' their airguns. Crosman and other companies know this and will cater to the largest customer base.
Larry

Crosshairs

I dont no i seem to take everything i get apart it's in my blood i just like to see how things work.  :-*
                                        Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

joe k

i think there will people that do just that order from the ccs and there will still be those
that mod there own.
joe

gigx

I am primarily what you would call a PB'r. However, part of the reason I started shooting air pistols is because I wanted to tinker with them. I have been lurking on this site soaking up the knowledge since I first searched for help in doing a reseal. I don't post much as I don't have the knowledge many of you have. Now ask what mods I have done so far? Um? I resealed my S&W 78G simply because my MKI looks scary :o. What will I do next? Well its the start of a long winter here in MI so I am sure my 2300T will get something done to it. Maybe start small like a new bolt and some grips. Any suggestions? As for the custom shop??? Not my thing since I really believe I can do most of what I want done. None of my PB's are custom shopped. Most of the mods on them I have done myself. Why should I not enjoy the same on air pistols?
2240 (My daughter's actually)
2300T
MKI (The one that started it all)
S&W 78G (I know its not a Crosman but I like it)

quickster47 †

Quote from: gigx on December 14, 2011, 06:31:12 AM
Most of the mods on them I have done myself. Why should I not enjoy the same on air pistols?

Have to agree, there is a certain satisfaction in doing the work yourself.  Although the CCS can give you a nice head start on some pieces.  Bu then the work they do is sort of hit and miss, and depends on who puts your gun together.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Smaug

Firstly, loosen up the trigger spring by squishing it down or cutting off a couple of coils.

Install Teflon washers at the sides to smooth up the pull.

Install a HDD. (hammer denounce device) this will save CO2. Or should, at least.

That's about it. The gun is pretty solid, I think. We like ours. (I bought it mostly for my wife)
-Jeremy
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

gigx

Quote from: Smaug on December 14, 2011, 04:54:48 PM
Firstly, loosen up the trigger spring by squishing it down or cutting off a couple of coils.

Install Teflon washers at the sides to smooth up the pull.

Install a HDD. (hammer denounce device) this will save CO2. Or should, at least.

That's about it. The gun is pretty solid, I think. We like ours. (I bought it mostly for my wife)

Sounds like solid advice. Now I have to show my ignorance. What is an HDD? Sounds like new tech I will have to buy  just so I can watch tv.  ??? Can you point to a link where I can buy such a part. Once I see it and disassemble the gun I should be able to figure it out. If it saves gas great. If it gives me a reason to teardown my gun all the better.  :-*
2240 (My daughter's actually)
2300T
MKI (The one that started it all)
S&W 78G (I know its not a Crosman but I like it)

quickster47 †

Quote from: gigx on December 14, 2011, 10:48:19 PM
Sounds like solid advice. Now I have to show my ignorance. What is an HDD? Sounds like new tech I will have to buy  just so I can watch tv.  ??? Can you point to a link where I can buy such a part. Once I see it and disassemble the gun I should be able to figure it out. If it saves gas great. If it gives me a reason to teardown my gun all the better.  :-*

HDD = Hammer Debounce Device

So why is a HDD necessary?  Well, glad you asked that.  The problem with the Crosman 22xx CO2 guns is hammer bounce (repeatedly hitting the exhaust valve, releasing small burps of CO2) and that wastes gas.  So anything you can do to keep the hammer from repeatedly striking the valve will improve (lessen) the CO2 usage.  Therefore, less CO2 gets wasted when the hammer isn't bouncing into the valve multiple times per trigger pull.  The design of the HDD for Crosman pistols allows the hammer to fly forward without any drag, but as soon as it starts snapping backward the HDD expands against the walls of the bolt bore and brakes it.  This stops the hammer from opening the valve multiple times as it bounces back and forth between the hammer spring and valve spring tension, which obviously just wastes gas.

The HDD fits over the hammer's cocking pin, with the slot/opening facing backward.  The opening/slot is what makes the device expand; the hammer snapping backwards makes the pin attempt to back out of that opening/slot and makes the body expand in the bolt bore, creating friction to slow the hammer.  Forward motion isn't restricted though, so your shot velocity remains unaffected.  You just get way more shots per fill since it isn't re-opening the valve after the pellet's already gone.

It's also worth mentioning that the gun is a lot quieter with the HDD installed.  I actually shot a string with the HDD installed first, and then took it out to shoot "without HDD" string.  The gun sounded like a cannon after I'd gotten used to the quiet volume of the gun with the HDD.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Smaug

-Jeremy

Mo

Mr. Adam Smith was correct.  We are all but pawns in the grasp of the Invisible Hand  :-[

Having decided that I could take on converting my own 1322, I priced out the desired parts and assorted shipping charges.  The satisfaction of learning how to do it myself would come with a hefty price tag!

So yesterday, I bit the pellet and ordered a CB1322 with a 12" barrel from Crooked Barn, and saved a fair amount of money while getting a very reliably built gun.

But once that's here, then I can start learning how to tinker with my 1377c without worry  ^,^

Colt25

Quote from: Crosshairs on December 13, 2011, 11:55:40 PM
I dont no i seem to take everything i get apart it's in my blood i just like to see how things work.  :-*
                                        Mike

When I got my first screw gun when I was 6, I took a door off it's hinges. Literally.