• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

PC77

Started by davyvan, December 18, 2011, 01:13:11 AM

davyvan

Got my new pistol from Amazon today and  thought it was a good buy for $44 with free shipping, they are still made in the USA and built pretty solid, although the plastic breech and rear sight will be replaced in the near future when funds allow.
It shot straight and after getting used to the sights the soda can was easy to hit repeatedly with 4 pumps at 50 feet. Tomorrow I'll rest it and shoot at a paper target at 25 yards with 6 pumps to really sight it in, or should I set the sights at full power? It shoots really straight with 8-10 pumps, and 3-4 seem good for practice, will be looking forward to testing the penetration and accuracy at different power levels, any advice?

quickster47 †

Yep for the price we pay it is an good gun.  Plus there are lots of modifications that can be done to it to turn it into a great shooter.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

davyvan

There doesn't seem to be any difference between a recent 1377 and a PC77, except the black grips. Are round lead balls a good choice to shoot in addition to pellets?

quickster47 †

Quote from: davyvan on December 18, 2011, 02:34:44 AM
There doesn't seem to be any difference between a recent 1377 and a PC77, except the black grips. Are round lead balls a good choice to shoot in addition to pellets?

For some reason they changed the name from "American Classic" to "Classic Pumpmaster".  Who knows why.  There were a couple of earlier versions of the of the 1377 and the PC77 also came with brown accompaniments originally.  The latest is the PC77b, b for black.

As longs as they are lead balls and not the steel you should be okay.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

Sight your pistol at the number of pumps you will use most often. Also, pellets of different weights may require frequent re-sighting, as needed.
Larry

Crosshairs

If your shooting a match sight it in for the distance you are shooting, at 4 to 5 pumps when i shoot a match and have 12 targets to shoot i want to pump as little as need this will save time and keep strain off the arm's and help stop that shaking from pumping so much. When i hunt i sight the gun in at 20 yards and 10 pumps. You will have to try all different things to find what is good for you. Then once you mount a scope the game changes again.
                                          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Smaug

When you start right away analyzing number of pumps, it is bound to be a slippery slope.

I use:

- 5 pumps for up to 10 m target shooting. 3 is enough, power-wise, but 5 doesn't tear the paper as badly.
- 10 pumps for hunting. Even this is marginal for animals other than birds. The stock velocity is more like 500 fps with 10 pumps, unless you use really light pellets. I've found that Skenco Pointed Poly Match (4 gr.) shoot really accurately from a 1377, and a couple hundred fps faster than 7 gr. lead pellets.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

millipede

i kinda like the lead balls. they actually shoot pretty good out of my 397 as long as i dont pump too many times. too much velocity makes them fly crazy. they group an inch and a half at about 40 feet using the williams peep sight

davyvan

Got another question.... will a stock 1377 hunt  smaller rabbits (not jacks) with a headshot, there are lots around here in the springtime, and they are tasty. I always hunt humanely, and there are now houses a few hundred yards away so I can't use a 22.

breakfastchef

Quote from: davyvan on December 19, 2011, 02:11:55 AM
Got another question.... will a stock 1377 hunt  smaller rabbits (not jacks) with a headshot, there are lots around here in the springtime, and they are tasty. I always hunt humanely, and there are now houses a few hundred yards away so I can't use a 22.

Maybe. Crosman recommends a minimum of 11.2 ft. lbs. of energy for .177 caliber pellets to do a humane kill. (http://www.crosman.com/mediacenter2/Guides/Crosman_Airgun_and_Pellet_Capabilities_Chart.pdf). That equals around 800 fps; something that might be a bit difficult to attain on a stock 1377. I am sure some of the forum members who do hunt can clue you in to the real world expectations of this pistol.
Larry

1377x

Quote from: davyvan on December 19, 2011, 02:11:55 AM
it can and has most effective range would be under 20 yards
there is a guy on another forum who has taken groundhogs at 15 yards with a bone stock 1377
closed mouths dont get fed

davyvan

Thanks, I'll check out the hunting forum and start practicing. They like my yard, it's brushy here so the shots are usually pretty close, and half the time they they freeze rather than run, I'd feel bad if I didn't enjoy them so much on the grill!

1377x

check out the hunting gate on this forum
a wide variety of guns being used
there is a guy using the m417 to take squirrels,he is the same guy that used a bone stock 1377 to dispatch a groung hog at 15 yards
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?board=8.0
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

At a max of 15 yards the 1377 will dispatch a rabbit if the right shot is made head shot and placement for a clean kill.  :-*
                                                Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!