• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Chrony not picking up shots?

Started by OahuDave, December 24, 2011, 02:41:14 AM

OahuDave

Hey All,

Just unpacked the Shooting Chrony Master Beta (whatever all that really means) and it won't read any of my shots. I had it on the table about 1 foot from the barrel and nothing. I moved it out 5 feet and nothing. I have the lights on full in the room and even tried the diffusers. Any ideas? I am guessing my next step is building indoor lights or something, but I would think out of the 30 or so shots that something would have shown up. I tried all 5 guns and made sure I was firing between 4 and 6 inches above the sensors. Pretty frustrated after paying about $140 or so for this. :) I am pretty sure it is operator error, but I would hope that a chrony would pick up in a very light room.

Thanks,
Dave
-Dave

-Crosman 1377 w/Mountain Air Steel Breech, Stainless Bolt, Flat Top Piston, Aluminum Brake, Trigger Guide/Spring, 14" Barrel and Crosman stock
-Son's 'Venturized' 2400KT w/10.1" Match .177 Barrel, 6x32 Scope, Silver Muzzle Brake, Carbon stock and Silver Trigger
-My 'Prawpsified' 2400KT w/10.1" Match .177 Barrel, 6x32 Scope, Silver Muzzle Brake, Outdoor stock and Silver Trigger
-My "O.C.D." 2300KT w/10.1" Match .177 Barrel, Multi-Tac Quick Aim Sight, Black Muzzle Brake, Long Steel Breech, Cocobolo Target Grips and Black Trigger

quickster47 †

Are they florescent lights, if so then that is the problem.  You need incandescent light or better yet, the great outdoors and sunlight.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

OahuDave

Quote from: quickster47 on December 24, 2011, 02:51:43 AM
Are they florescent lights, if so then that is the problem.  You need incandescent light or better yet, the great outdoors and sunlight.

Carl

They are the normal lights, but probably not direct enough. Going to swing by Walmart and see if I can make do with something there like a worklight or something next to it. Grr. Wanted to see the results from my guns now now now!!! :)

Thanks!
Dave
-Dave

-Crosman 1377 w/Mountain Air Steel Breech, Stainless Bolt, Flat Top Piston, Aluminum Brake, Trigger Guide/Spring, 14" Barrel and Crosman stock
-Son's 'Venturized' 2400KT w/10.1" Match .177 Barrel, 6x32 Scope, Silver Muzzle Brake, Carbon stock and Silver Trigger
-My 'Prawpsified' 2400KT w/10.1" Match .177 Barrel, 6x32 Scope, Silver Muzzle Brake, Outdoor stock and Silver Trigger
-My "O.C.D." 2300KT w/10.1" Match .177 Barrel, Multi-Tac Quick Aim Sight, Black Muzzle Brake, Long Steel Breech, Cocobolo Target Grips and Black Trigger

breakfastchef

Dave: I found that unread shots usually are caused by poor lighting or misalignment of the projectile path and the chrony sensors. Since you are shooting indoors, I am pretty sure you have inadequate lighting. A cheap fix for this is to mount two led, battery-operated puck lights under the diffusers for indoor use. Here is a picture of how I did this.

Larry

OahuDave

I am pretty sure this is the issue, but seeing as how I have limited shooting area and would be constantly packing and unpacking everything I am just going to return it. I took a few different lights I have here, desk lamps (LED and the bulb type) and nothing helped. No matter where I had it (an inch from the barrel or 5 feet) I only got a single shot registered on the 2400 at 652 FPS. I fired off a whole powerlet and many from the 1377c. I understand if it just doesnt work in the light I have, but it is just too much of a pain to be useful to me. Too bad since I really did want to get some results from the guns, but such is life. :) Nice that amazon has such easy returns at least.

Thanks for the info guys!
Dave
-Dave

AZAG

If you're mainly shooting inside then maybe pick up a chrony that has an indoor light kit like prochrono. 

OahuDave

Quote from: AZAG on December 24, 2011, 05:49:16 AM
If you're mainly shooting inside then maybe pick up a chrony that has an indoor light kit like prochrono.

Not a bad idea. I checked some on Amazon and it will be a bit more with the light kit, but if it works I think it would be worth it. I am going to let it sit in the closet for now and get through the holidays and probably try it again when I am more relaxed. Probably try some of the light mods I have seen here and see what happens.

Thanks guys,
Dave
-Dave

JEBert

Dave,
I have the CED Milleneum chronograph.  It works very well out in the sunlight.  Indoors, I have put it on our dining room table with one diffuser under the incandescent light above the table and set up a floor lamp with that incandescent bulb over the other diffuser.  It worked very well for the grandson's airsoft guns last Christmas.  I haven't set it up indoors for the pellet guns yet.
Merry Christmas,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Crosshairs

This is how i have mine set up a 4 dollor clamp light. works great.
                                    Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

AZAG

Crosshairs

It's 100 watts  :-*
                      Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Smaug

Get a pair of the LED trouble lights from amazon for $8 each. Rubber band them to the bottom of your diffusers, pointing straight down at the sensors.

Maybe you can find something similar locally and avoid the wait?

The key with LEDs is to find ones that are not strobed. Since LEDs are solid-state, they are often dimmed by switching them on and off thousands of times per second, rather than dialing the voltage down.

I thought my chrono was just not sensitive enough, but I'm glad to hear the name brand ones have the same problem.

BTW - All those fancy names just means you got the model with all the bells and whistles. I think it does all the calculations for you, right?
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

OahuDave

Yeah I got the one with all the extras, BUT I might still return it for the one without the remote. It is a pain. I thought it was wireless somehow, but the cable is a pain. It's close enough to see the readout and without the remote its cheaper. I just really wanted this to be easy, but when is that ever the case. Hah.
-Dave

OahuDave

Quote from: Smaug on December 25, 2011, 07:18:31 AM
Get a pair of the LED trouble lights from amazon for $8 each. Rubber band them to the bottom of your diffusers, pointing straight down at the sensors.

Maybe you can find something similar locally and avoid the wait?

The key with LEDs is to find ones that are not strobed. Since LEDs are solid-state, they are often dimmed by switching them on and off thousands of times per second, rather than dialing the voltage down.

I thought my chrono was just not sensitive enough, but I'm glad to hear the name brand ones have the same problem.

BTW - All those fancy names just means you got the model with all the bells and whistles. I think it does all the calculations for you, right?

Ah. I had my lights shining right into the sensors and NOT through the diffusers. Maybe I will try again through the diffusers. It kept freaking out with the lights too close. Probably like it would in sunlight when you should use the diffusers. I will give it one more try, but still not liking the remote thing. Thanks!
-Dave

1377x

sounds defective!
i have a f-1 chrony the only time it goes crazy is in low light
for a while it wouldnt pick up cphp's,but every other pellet would register
took a black permanent marker colored the cphp black,then the chrony would register ???
my solution was to add 2 40 watt lights above each sensor

crude but effective! ;)

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=514.0
closed mouths dont get fed