• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Pellet type in my 2240

Started by Blueyz70, January 13, 2012, 07:57:55 PM

Blueyz70

I got a 2240 for Christmas and I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to get it sighted in.   When I got it it came with a tin of Crosman premier dome pellets.  Christmas day I was ready to throw it out I could not get it to hit in the same place twice or any where near the target.   It was always high and to the right.  I got home and set up my target inside with a bench and shot and shot and then shot some more.   I was cleaning the barrel every 10 shots and i even tried to go 150 shots nothing worked.  SO I finally grabbed a tin of cheap wad cutters and started shooting them.  To my surprise it started shooting right.   I figure I would go back to the domes and it started shooting all over the place high and to the right.  Frustrated I put it down for the day, came back to 2 days later with the cheap wad cutters again.  With the wad cutters back on target, I also had some hollow point Crosman pellets I tried then perfect.  So I figured out the dome pellets can go with my rifle and the wad cutters and hollow points are for the pistol.  Any one else have any issues with the domes in there 2240?

arkmaker †

Every gun has it's favorite pellet. I went through a whole box of Avanti's just knowing that these had to work, before going back to the cheapo Daisy wadcutters and doing much better on my 1377. My old 2240 would shoot the heck out of the 1950's Superpells, but did not like the Crosman Hollowpoints. The 1740 with a 14.5" .177 barrel loved the Avanti's. Go figure!

I'm already thinking that I need to change the new one over to a .177 barrel as the choice for pellets is better, cheaper and besides that they just plain shoot flatter for target shooting. So it is all a big experiment for me.

BTW; Where the heck is my new 2240. Should have been here yesterday  :D

Keep at it, you will find the right one, once you spend more money!!

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Crosman barrels really tend to like oversize or larger diameter pellets.  And small differences can make all the difference in the world on how a specific barrel groups.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

pirouge

its one of the great mysteries of air gunning,  I always start with crosman hollow points, (crosman guns right?) if I get within 1" (quarter) at 10m from a bench rest, I'm happy, then I go to work on my technique and practice, a lot of practice, until I get it down to a dime.  My scoped 1377c will do it with daisy wad cutters at 10 pumps but the red dot 2240 stays at a quarter with chp's, its the best I can get from both guns without ordering pellets, I'm satisfied. That covers my bird feeder and my 10m pistol  "patio target range"

D-R0CK

pellet companies ought to consider selling sample packs, with just enough of each type to have two five shot groups from each to figure out which ones to buy in the future. makes sense, right? ???

Xgecko

I've had mixxed results with Crosman hollowpoints in my 1377, bought a tin of Gamo wadcutters with my red dot and couldn't be happier (no not just the red dot I sighted a new iron sight as well) very repeatable accuracy
The earth without ART is just "eh"

cheewee

i have been using the crosman hollows with quite good results
just got a tin of benjamins hollows and they are now my pellet of choice
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.