• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

A lesson on gun safety.

Started by Colt25, January 20, 2012, 03:38:12 AM

Colt25

Quote from: JEBert on February 03, 2012, 07:25:50 PM
Ditto Here!
On another note, at least on my carry gun, I always make sure it is loaded when I put it into my holster.  If I ever need it (god forbid), I DON'T want it to go "click."
Cheers,
Jerry

Whats your carry gun? If its a 1911, don't carry it "Mexican" style. Which is loaded chamber, cocked, and off safe....
Also. You don't have to have a round in the chamber. You can just rack the slide if (god forbid)you need it.

JEBert

Taurus PT111 pro in 9mm.  It is a striker fired pistol which means it has no external hammer.  It does have a safety and I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster (IWB) about 4:00 O'clock in "condition one".  When I first started carrying it, I was wary of the safety coming off by itself so I carried it without a round in the chamber for several weeks but it has never come off safety by itself.  It has never jammed and always goes bang when I take it off safety and press the trigger.
The point of that post was to always check to see that a round IS indeed in the chamber when you think it is.  I do it every time I put it in my holster.  No good to have an urgent need to use it and it go click when you think it is gong to go Bang.
I have a SS Ruger P89DC which I love.  It has a decocker but no safety.  I can carry it with a round in the chamber but uncocked and the first shot will be DA, and the rest of them SA.
I also have a Taurus 840 which does have an external hammer, decocker, and a safety.  You can carry it in any condition I know of.  I don't have a good carry holster for it yet.  Someday, I'll find a way to afford a good 1911.  Maybe I'll have to stop modding pellet guns for a while. ;D
I always understood "Mexican carry" to be in the front of the pants with no holster just using the belt tension to keep it in place.
LOADED CHAMBER AND OFF SAFE?  That's just crazy!
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Colt25

Quote from: JEBert on February 15, 2012, 07:29:32 PM
Taurus PT111 pro in 9mm.  It is a striker fired pistol which means it has no external hammer.  It does have a safety and I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster (IWB) about 4:00 O'clock in "condition one".  When I first started carrying it, I was wary of the safety coming off by itself so I carried it without a round in the chamber for several weeks but it has never come off safety by itself.  It has never jammed and always goes bang when I take it off safety and press the trigger.
The point of that post was to always check to see that a round IS indeed in the chamber when you think it is.  I do it every time I put it in my holster.  No good to have an urgent need to use it and it go click when you think it is gong to go Bang.
I have a SS Ruger P89DC which I love.  It has a decocker but no safety.  I can carry it with a round in the chamber but uncocked and the first shot will be DA, and the rest of them SA.
I also have a Taurus 840 which does have an external hammer, decocker, and a safety.  You can carry it in any condition I know of.  I don't have a good carry holster for it yet.  Someday, I'll find a way to afford a good 1911.  Maybe I'll have to stop modding pellet guns for a while. ;D
I always understood "Mexican carry" to be in the front of the pants with no holster just using the belt tension to keep it in place.
Cheers,
Jerry
Yes it is. Very unsafe to carry a 1911 Mexican style. Just be safe.

NorthStaR

Even though the title says Women, there's a few men in the vid too. Scary funny! Some of these are VERY lucky :

http://youtu.be/HXfg5o1ZVq4

This one is more serious but also has humor (mainly based on shock) - not gory as such.
Although the first one will always be known as "you shot Grandpa!"...once he grows up!
And the cop one.... dodgey! Seriously worth watching all the same!

http://youtu.be/Et33bbA0GeM

I have a scar that looks like Scope Kiss. An arch on the brow and another reversed on the cheek bone forming a broken ring.
One from a rock (my fault) and the other a bottle (not my fault).

:)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

rdpollar

Had one Saturday that filled his right shoe with air ( from my prod ) after handing me an empty mag. to fill. :-X

Roy
JUST ADD BEER

1377x

Quote from: arkmaker on January 28, 2012, 01:17:16 PM
I have a 1941 High Standard .22 target pistol that my Dad just recently gave me. So off the the range to test it out. The gun has been sitting in a closet for 20 years, so before I left, I stripped and cleaned it. At the range, the gun would not cycle properly. My hammer was not setting in the cocked position (this is a semi automatic) after a shot. OK, so I will manually cock and shoot, right? Well yes, but then it started to fire, cock and release the hammer with enough force to fire again. Double shot!
Now, a full auto can be fun, when your expecting it. But when you are not, it is a bit of a surprise and quite dangerous.. I theory, it could have gone though the entire clip!

So, hold you aim on target for a second or two after each shot. Something my Dad taught me way back when and I have just realized that it is as much for safety as for accuracy.

As for the pistol, another cleaning and inspection and doing the same thing. It is heading off to High Standard for a looksie!

Rich
did you ever get it fixed?
sounds like a worn sear or weak sear spring.at the worst a broken sear and spring maybe one more thing .none the less an easy fix
closed mouths dont get fed

1377x

hows this for safety
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE#]I shot myself! Original Upload![/url]
and he didnt even do/use the stereotypical things others have said in this thread
accidents happen leave the stereotypes out,please

NorthStaR

I have yet to see a stereo type.  ???
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Colt25

I saw that video before. That's partly why I made this topic.
OUCH!!!!!

1377x

Quote from: NorthStaR on March 27, 2012, 08:11:43 PM
I have yet to see a stereo type.  ???
are you blind  ???
Quote from: Colt25 on February 15, 2012, 06:31:27 PM
Whats your carry gun? If its a 1911, don't carry it "Mexican" style. Which is loaded chamber, cocked, and off safe....
Also. You don't have to have a round in the chamber. You can just rack the slide if (god forbid)you need it.
Quote from: Colt25 on February 17, 2012, 05:55:50 PM
Yes it is. Very unsafe to carry a 1911 Mexican style. Just be safe.
Quote from: JEBert on February 15, 2012, 07:29:32 PM
Cheers,
Jerry
heres a definition if you dont know what it means
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype
mexican style is a stereotype.they are not the only ones who carry or handle guns like that
even as a joke its not funny

think of our other members here we are probably all races.

Colt25

Quote from: 1377x on March 28, 2012, 01:46:47 AM
are you blind  ???heres a definition if you dont know what it means
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype
mexican style is a stereotype.they are not the only ones who carry or handle guns like that
even as a joke its not funny

think of our other members here we are probably all races.

There is a way to carry a firearm cocked, and locked with a round in the chamber inside the waste band,
It is actually called 'Mexican' carry.

This was found from find articles.com

"In the 2004 American Handgunner Annual, in an article on concealed handgun carry, I made the point that there were a lot of reasons not to simply stuff the pistol into the waistband without a holster. This practice is known colloquially as Mexican Carry. One reader wrote, shocked, to ask why I would use such a "racist" term. I was reminded that we old, gray gunnies can't take for granted that the new generation knows where our ancient lingo came from."

1377x

Quote from: Colt25 on March 28, 2012, 02:00:30 AM
There is a way to carry a firearm cocked, and locked with a round in the chamber inside the waste band,
It is actually called 'Mexican' carry.

This was found from find articles.com

"In the 2004 American Handgunner Annual, in an article on concealed handgun carry, I made the point that there were a lot of reasons not to simply stuff the pistol into the waistband without a holster. This practice is known colloquially as Mexican Carry. One reader wrote, shocked, to ask why I would use such a "racist" term. I was reminded that we old, gray gunnies can't take for granted that the new generation knows where our ancient lingo came from."

col·lo·qui·al (k-lkw-l)
adj.
1. Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal.
2. Relating to conversation; conversational.

do you see the word informal there?
it's still stereotyping
dont do that here we are an international board with members from around the world
the artical that you posted used the word i posted the meaning of
they know its stereotyping thats why they put that there

Colt25

Yes you are right.
I was wrong.
You kicked me in the nuts like in you're signature.

1377x

Quote from: Colt25 on March 28, 2012, 02:14:12 AM
Yes you are right.
I was wrong.
You kicked me in the nuts like in you're signature.
you are funny!!!
but that wasnt the point here. i wasnt trying to undermine you.
you kicked your self by posting the artical
we are an international board and dont want anybody getting offended

In the early 80's I knew an undercover detective that carried a snub-nosed S&W Chief in his waistband without a holster.  He did it every day.  We just called him, 'stupid.'