• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

A lesson on gun safety.

Started by Colt25, January 20, 2012, 03:38:12 AM

Colt25

There have been a lot of air gun related and (Negligent  discharge.) Of airguns in the past years. And I hope this may prevent a few, Here are some basic safety rules everyone should know. (I hope this gets pinned so everyone can see this.)

Rules for Safe Gun Handling

Rule # 1: All firearms are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are. (The first words usually spoken after a negligent discharge are, “I thought it was unloaded!”)

Rule # 2: Never allow the muzzle of your firearm to point toward anything you do not intend to kill or destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

Rule # 3: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned with your target and you are ready to shoot. (The only way a gun will fire is by pulling the trigger.)

Rule # 4: Be sure of your target, it's surroundings, and what's beyond it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

rdpollar

Thanks very good ( I need to print that ). I like to have a short safety class before shooting just to remind everybody and haven't done it recently. Great post.
JUST ADD BEER

Colt25

Quote from: rdpollar on January 20, 2012, 05:41:55 AM
Thanks very good ( I need to print that ). I like to have a short safety class before shooting just to remind everybody and haven't done it recently. Great post.

Do you have a shooting class?

rdpollar

Yes I do for beginners or anyone that needs. Thanks Colt.
JUST ADD BEER

Range "accidents" happen due to inattention or failure to follow the basic rules of safe weapon operation.  If one has been shooting for any time at all they have witnessed an "accidental discharge" or perhaps even an injury on the range, or in the field, due to these problems.

Range Safety Briefings should be standard operation prior to any shooting session.  It helps to focus the shooter on what they are doing, as well as the basic rules of weapon safety. It also helps the Range Officer, and Safety Officer, get in the right frame of mind for the training session, match, etc.  Going over the basic safety rules at home does the same thing for ones children, spouse, etc. 

Good post.  Great reminder.  Thank you.

Crosshairs

Colt 25 good idea with the safety rules both of my Daughters can tell you and follow every safety rule in the book and they are only 13 and 11.We as adults should be the people to keep the younger shooters and each other in line when it comes to safety.If you come to my house and want to shoot you need to follow all rules if you don't your not shooting it's that simple.  :-*
                                          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

NorthStaR

Not a range accident and he asked for it: (sorry the video may show an advert for 15 seconds)

http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16156733
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

eric

Hello, my name is (stupid)__________________ . that will teach him to rob a bank  ;) :)
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

cmj21973

Quote from: eric on January 27, 2012, 11:34:52 PM
Hello, my name is (stupid)__________________ . that will teach him to rob a bank  ;) :)

Nope. He learned not to put his finger on the trigger after taking the safety off. :o When/if he gets out of prison he is more than likely to attempt more bank robberies.

Could have been worse. He could have looked down the barrel to see if it was loaded. ;D

arkmaker †

I have a 1941 High Standard .22 target pistol that my Dad just recently gave me. So off the the range to test it out. The gun has been sitting in a closet for 20 years, so before I left, I stripped and cleaned it. At the range, the gun would not cycle properly. My hammer was not setting in the cocked position (this is a semi automatic) after a shot. OK, so I will manually cock and shoot, right? Well yes, but then it started to fire, cock and release the hammer with enough force to fire again. Double shot!
Now, a full auto can be fun, when your expecting it. But when you are not, it is a bit of a surprise and quite dangerous.. I theory, it could have gone though the entire clip!

So, hold you aim on target for a second or two after each shot. Something my Dad taught me way back when and I have just realized that it is as much for safety as for accuracy.

As for the pistol, another cleaning and inspection and doing the same thing. It is heading off to High Standard for a looksie!

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

Not a range accident and he asked for it: (sorry the video may show an advert for 15 seconds)

He forgot rule # 1 treat every gun as if it were loaded
and rule # 2 dont point a gun at anything you dont want to shoot. ;D
                                               Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

MartinDWhite

#1 is SO important. I have three friends (two are close friends) who put holes in there houses with "unloaded" guns.
In retrospect, two were positive that the guns were unloaded, and had no idea how a round got in the chamber. One was just being stupid and forgot he loaded it.

arkmaker †

I think of it this way, What good is an unloaded gun? That way, I assume the gun is always loaded. Makes sense to me anyway.

With Auto's; I always drop the clip and rack the slide to eject the chambered round and then rack it again for a look in the barrel and mag slot before handing a gun to anyone. I take my time, I never rush this. Always.

With Revolver's; I always flip the cylinder out and remove all carts, count them and then spin the cylinder slowly to make sure each is empty along with the barrel. I hand the gun over with the cylinder open. If the person does not know how to check the chambers, barrel and close it properly I take it back fairly quickly. Again, I never rush this process.

Just the way I was taught.

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

ceejay

Quote from: arkmaker on February 02, 2012, 08:52:37 PM
I think of it this way, What good is an unloaded gun? That way, I assume the gun is always loaded. Makes sense to me anyway.

With Auto's; I always drop the clip and rack the slide to eject the chambered round and then rack it again for a look in the barrel and mag slot before handing a gun to anyone. I take my time, I never rush this. Always.

With Revolver's; I always flip the cylinder out and remove all carts, count them and then spin the cylinder slowly to make sure each is empty along with the barrel. I hand the gun over with the cylinder open. If the person does not know how to check the chambers, barrel and close it properly I take it back fairly quickly. Again, I never rush this process.

Just the way I was taught.

Rich

I was gonna say that  ;) and I'll do the same AFTER you hand it to me. Powder or Pellet, makes no difference.
Crosman 150 - 357 - 3576 - 1377 - M417
Crosman 1077
Gamo PT-85
Remington 1911RAC

JEBert

QuoteI was gonna say that  ;) and I'll do the same AFTER you hand it to me. Powder or Pellet, makes no difference.
Ditto Here!
On another note, at least on my carry gun, I always make sure it is loaded when I put it into my holster.  If I ever need it (god forbid), I DON'T want it to go "click."
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)