• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

HPA vs Nitrogen

Started by silvergoose, January 30, 2012, 02:19:09 AM

silvergoose

Has anyone used nitrogen instead of compressed air/co2?

PROs / CONs

Thanks

mr007s

I use Nitrogen from a local gas supply. PROS, it is more convenient in my area.

NorthStaR

Woah, I had this conversation a while a go. Do you mean Nitrogen or Nitrous Oxide? Big difference.
I was at the time researching 8g capsules for a compact gun.

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=4964.msg50278#msg50278

=============================
I spent last night researching N2o and found some interesting info.

And the verdict is.....not good. Apart from it being a good oxidiser meaning goodbye aluminium valves and fittings
it will in time ruin a gun. But in principal it would work. You would get about a 1/3 less shots from one capsule
A potentially higher rate of gas expansion (hence less shots) which should give more ooompf but the negatives outway
the positives overall IMHO.

The N2o nipple is sealed with lead due to the fact it would dissolve the seal as per a Co2 capsule. Not a good sign.
It is also something like 250+ times more toxic to the atmosphere than Co2.

I found some useful info on this forum:

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/167936-12-gram-co2-vs-12-gram-n2o.html

Of which I also found these two tables (at bottom of post) giving a comparison of various gases.
One that would be useable is helium. But helium is expensive and finding it in an 8g cart is another factor.
Your gun would have to be modded as if it was an HPA setup too.

SO SAY NO TO N2O! DO NOT USE IT IN YOUR AIRGUN!

8g Co2 CARTS IT IS THEN!  :)

Closing note:
Even though some of these gases below are flammable, it doesn't really matter unless your shooting next to a naked flame/spark.
When shooting a springer you can sometimes see a muzzle flash where the air ignites under pressure. I have started fires this
way (on purpose!), it is an old technology. Very old but effective.

But with a Co2 styled gun the gas is under pressure the valve merely allows the gas to expand. This acts as a coolant.
If you were compressing the gas fast that would be another factor and in that case it could ignite (but obviously not with Co2).
With all these gases Co2 seems a sensible choice or use compressed air which does explain why thiese are the primary choices
for gas guns. Eitherway Brass or a plastic must also used as it doesn't make a spark. Quite important with a flammable gas!!!

Really all I have done is do the same research as the people that invented these guns probably did a long long time ago on
a distant planet like Alderaan. Hence why we use Co2 and HPA. Still at least I know now.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE TRY ANY ALT GASES BASED ON MY INFO IN THIS POST.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU AND THIS INFO IS PURELY REFERENCE!

Hope it's not been too boring a read!
========================

All IMHO!
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

silvergoose

Thanks for the replies. Being a newbie, sometimes silly questions must be asked.

Thanks

ironnerd88

If it's available, use NITROGEN.

1: It's CLEAN - compressed air has dust and stuff in it (unless the compresser has a very nice filter).
2: It's DRY - Compressed air has water in it (especially here in Georgia on a nice summer afternoon).
4: It's STABLE - Compresed air will change its pressure with a change in ambient temperature (not as much as CO2), while Nitrogen will remain at the same pressure regardless of temperature).

I use Nitrogen in Airplane Tires and my paintball guns. All of the landing gear struts on large large aircraft are presurized with Nitrogen, as are emergency actuation bottles (emergency gear extension, for example).

Just my $0.02

NorthStaR

Quote from: silvergoose on January 30, 2012, 06:37:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. Being a newbie, sometimes silly questions must be asked.

Thanks

No question is silly. Knowledge is power!

Regarding if HPA is clean or dry. Maybe. It just depends on your source. I use a scuba cylinder which
is filled with filtered air. I would be wary of using any air that wasn't filtered as this will potentially cause
issues in time with valves and the integrity of the cylinder - both the main and buddy.

YOU DO NOT WANT MOISTURE IN YOUR CYLINDER. A 12ltr cylinder is the equivalent to 2 hand grenades
exploding if it is compromised. Chances of that happening - not high at all but it gives you an idea of power.

Unless you leave your cylinder in the sun the shift of ambient pressure change will be minimal.
Also when a cylinder is filled it should be kept chilled to get a clear reading of the fill. If filled too quickly it
will warm up. That will effect the pressure for a small time until it cools back down. A professionally filled
cylinder will be submerged in water when filled to A; keep the air cool and B; to check for any bubbles
(and that dentoes a seal has gone). by keeping it cool your reading will be accurate and even if the temp climbs
it should stay within safe limits - extremities aside,eg; fire! You will also get a true fill. If filled quickly your losing out.

If your using standard compressor versus one for breathing air then you may get moisture, dirt et cetera.
It's just down to the source the air is from. And not everyone has access to diving stations! LOL

But all-in-all my research was for N2o and not N2.  ;) It's all interesting to me!  :D IMHO!

EDIT: Just another observation; scopes can be nitrogen filled too. :)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....