• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

choosing scope ring size?

Started by BassManNate, February 04, 2012, 09:16:51 PM

BassManNate

I'm a bit baffled when it comes to selecting scope rings. Obviously, you have to get rings that match your tube diameter. However, how do you choose what height to get? For instance, Pyramydair has a 3-9X50 scope. How do you figure out what size rings you need? Also, where are the dovetail rings? All I seem to be able to find on Pyramydair is weaver.

Any recommendations on brands of scope rings?  ???

breakfastchef

For my pellet guns, I use high sight rings in order to provide clearance for loading pellets. The only time that is not true is for a red dot sight that can be mounted clear of the loading area. I have used NCStar, Leapers/UTG and Truglo mounts. All worked well.
Larry

BassManNate

Quote from: breakfastchef on February 04, 2012, 09:23:39 PM
For my pellet guns, I use high sight rings in order to provide clearance for loading pellets. The only time that is not true is for a red dot sight that can be mounted clear of the loading area. I have used NCStar, Leapers/UTG and Truglo mounts. All worked well.

Ah, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out how to get the correct clearance for the objective lens, but with airguns, we have to make sure we have room to load the pellets as well. High rings would make the most sense. Now, if I can just find the dovetail rings, I can start figuring out how much I'm looking at total for a scope.

eric

TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

BassManNate

Quote from: eric on February 05, 2012, 02:21:29 AM
this page starts it all http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/Mounts_bases_rings_levels_and_scope_stops/51;jsessionid=26273CEF92E5CF97286A7BFC000ED67D.app03 or put {3/8" rings} in the search box

Thanks! I feel silly now. I was at that page earlier but didn't see the links under 1 piece and 2 piece mounts that said "3/8" & 11mm dovetail"

rdpollar

Another thing lower is better. I start high to clear the mag, and lens and then lower if I can. The trajectory is flatter with lower mounts. I didn't have enough mil dots on my scope to go from 20 to 100 yards with high rings. 50mm lens seems large. But it all about what you want. This is a pic of my lowered scope with UTG med rings and 44mm lens.   
JUST ADD BEER

BassManNate

Quote from: rdpollar on February 05, 2012, 05:12:45 AM
Another thing lower is better. I start high to clear the mag, and lens and then lower if I can. The trajectory is flatter with lower mounts. I didn't have enough mil dots on my scope to go from 20 to 100 yards with high rings. 50mm lens seems large. But it all about what you want. This is a pic of my lowered scope with UTG med rings and 44mm lens.

Yeah, that's one of several on Pyramydair that I'm kinda interested in. They're all about the same price and the others are 40 mm objective lenses. It's probably more than I need on a 1377 since I don't think I'll be taking 100 yard shots any time soon.