• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Too much information?

Started by sandpiper, February 19, 2012, 08:00:28 PM

sandpiper

I was going to purchase some seals from JG airguns but when going to the account setup page I found it strange that they require you to disclose information such as gender and date of birth. Now before you say what's the big deal, I try to protect my identity as much as possible when it comes to entering info that eventually requires a credit card. My wife was the victim of identity theft so we're super cautious. Does anyone find these requirements over the top?

cheewee

seems like these days they want to know everything about you when all they really need is a name and address. i know a lot of ppl dont like it but i am a huge fan of paypal and use it whenener possible. like you i have backed out of ordering online when it seems like they REQUIRE to much info.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

sandpiper

One other thing I'd prefer is to know if they accept paypal before creating an account. A shipping calculator before checkout would be nice as well.

breakfastchef

I canu understand needing a birth date so as to confirm to them that you are old enough to purchase certain items. If you send false information about birth date, the retailer has proof you fibbed.
Larry

cheewee

these days it is big business selling ppls personel information and this is for strictly legal reasons. not for a minute saying that any of our airgun suppliers do this but you wouild be surprised at how much it happens,just look at facebook they have made billions doing it.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

Crosshairs

I use JR all the time and never had a problem Yet I dont remember giving all that info but it was a long time ago when i first ordered from them.
                                    Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

kb5zcr

You can put whatever you want as far as sex and date of birth is concerned, they have no way of verifying any of it. Just say that your a 60 year old female and be done with it. As long as you are shipping to the billing address of the credit card you should be good. I enter a false dob all the time (it's none of their business) and never had a problem with any retailer.
They mostly ask for this info for marketing purposes, so they can tell what their site demographic is.

1377x

i wouldnt order from jg anyways
i tried once and he wanted an arm,leg and kidney for shipping
lucky for me a member on another ag forum fabricated and shipped the part to me for free :)
that was totally unexpected
thank goodness for the forums and the great people on them ;)
closed mouths dont get fed

sandpiper

Quote from: 1377x on March 01, 2012, 11:49:23 PM
i wouldnt order from jg anyways
i tried once and he wanted an arm,leg and kidney for shipping
lucky for me a member on another ag forum fabricated and shipped the part to me for free :)
that was totally unexpected
thank goodness for the forums and the great people on them ;)

I have to say I wasn't happy about the shipping but I needed the parts and they had them all. I ordered five or six o rings/seals that came in a small envelope weighing a few ounces and the shipping was fifteen dollars plus. It does seem like they have no interest in small shipments. There was also a one dollar fee for the order because it was less than twenty dollars.