• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Oil Blueing a Crosman MK Pistol ? NO, only the piercing cap.

Started by Cybergrizzly, March 02, 2012, 03:54:44 AM

Cybergrizzly

Hi, Folks

I recently bought a couple of MK2 pistols and one of them needs re-finishing.   Somewhere I read that MAC1 refinishes MK pistols by oil blueing (at least some of them).  I've done oil blueing myself as it is pretty much very simple.  Basically, I clean the metal to white metal and I use my BernszOmatic Torch and heat the steel metal and later dunk it in automatic transmission oil (Tim at MAC1 says Marvel Oil is better as it does not gives away the nasty odor).   I have never done it to alloy metal such as the MK pistol.

Has anyone done oil blueing to allow metal such as the one found in the MK pistol?   Don't want to ruin my pistol.

Thanks for looking.   Appreciate comments. ??? ???

Capt. Thomas

Well I've never tried it but I don't if the alloy / pot metal would take or not? If you are going to be stripping a frame down anyway, you may try a spot on the grip frame under the grips out of sight just in case the color is blotchy or not the desired color? I don't think it will damage anything as long as you don't go to high on the temp or heat soak the casting? You may try a small part like the trigger guard and if the color doesn't take the way you like it would be real easy to clean it back up (wire wheel or glass beads). No harm in trying it I don't think?

If you do give it a shot, please do post back & let us know how it turned out!

Capt. Thomas
My prayer to God is a very short one: 'Oh, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' God has granted it. - Voltaire
Capt. James Thomas

Cybergrizzly

Thanks for the advise, James.   

Trying the trigger guard first is a good try. 

Al

cheewee

have done "oil blueing" myself and used to use old hydraulic fluid. dont think it will work with alloys but as the captain said be very careful with how hot you get it. good luck
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

Crosshairs

Why don't you use GunKote paint it's very tuff stuff.
                                    Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Cybergrizzly

My apologies.  I realized that I had incorrectly read o understood a statement that such a thing could be possible.   The only  part  of the MK pistol that can be blued this way is the piercing cap.

breakfastchef

I think Mac1 paints LDs with Imron. I am refurbishing a
Mark II now and will be painting it with Dura-coat.

BTW, you have some beautiful parts coming from Stace!
Larry