• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

target shooting

Started by sandpiper, March 03, 2012, 02:03:59 PM

sandpiper

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this question so I went here. I'm interested in the on-line target competitions but have a ton of questions that I wasn't sure of the answers to in the target section.

Is there a thread regarding all the basic rules for these competitions or are they all individually specific? Some questions I have are: Can anyone participate? Height of target? Caliber and type of pellet? ... etc.

quickster47 †

If you look in the target shooting section and under each of the listed competitions the basic rules are listed.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

cheewee

They are all individually specific and generally noted on target or on the thread itself.
competition is open to all members. height of target, caliber and pellet type are open.
restrictions are normally on hold, one or two handed and distance to target and sometimes to keep it interesting on sighting devices.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

sandpiper

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. Hate to ask what may seem as silly questions and I'm probably overthinking it but here's a few more. I'm looking at the 10 meter two hand comp and what I'm wondering is this. The target lists numbers 1-8. I assume the next two rings are for 9 and 10 points. What would the dead center ring be scored as?

http://www.tomgirling.co.uk/hobby/targets/A4_10m_Air_Pistol_Target_Single.pdf

Also, larger caliber pellets would give a slight advantage. Do most target shooters use .177" pellets as a standard?

breakfastchef

The inner two bulls are both scored as 10. I was doing this wrong until I came across an article on the Web explaining this.

.177 leaves nicer holes and is easier to score.

Quote from: sandpiper on March 03, 2012, 05:21:05 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. Hate to ask what may seem as silly questions and I'm probably overthinking it but here's a few more. I'm looking at the 10 meter two hand comp and what I'm wondering is this. The target lists numbers 1-8. I assume the next two rings are for 9 and 10 points. What would the dead center ring be scored as?

Also, larger caliber pellets would give a slight advantage. Do most target shooters use .177" pellets as a standard?
Larry

sandpiper

Quote from: breakfastchef on March 03, 2012, 05:24:12 PM
The inner two bulls are both scored as 10. I was doing this wrong until I came across an article on the Web explaining this.

.177 leaves nicer holes and is easier to score.

Cool, I only own .22 pistols at this time but as long as that's in the rules I'm in. Looking forward to it. I just ordered a CCS 2300KT in .22 last week. Looks like I'll be ordering a another one or at least a LW .177" barrel  :)

JEBert

QuoteRemember, if you have a pellet(s) totally in the smallest ring of the "bullseye" - known as and "X", be sure to score it as
it can be used as a tie breaker.
The above quote is copied from the 10M 2-hand rules.  The inner ring is the X ring.
I wish I had 10 Meter range.  Actually, that wouldn't do me much good, I haven't had time to shoot for 4 months now.  Maybe I can clean out the shed enough to shoot 5M tomorrow.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

T191032

"Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. Hate to ask what may seem as silly questions and I'm probably overthinking it but here's a few more. I'm looking at the 10 meter two hand comp and what I'm wondering is this. The target lists numbers 1-8. I assume the next two rings are for 9 and 10 points. What would the dead center ring be scored as?

Also, larger caliber pellets would give a slight advantage. Do most target shooters use .177" pellets as a standard?"

Sandpiper,

Yes, the next one in scores a "9", then the two smallest rings comprise the "10", with the smallest ring being the "X".  (I went through the learning curve on it too)

I prefer the .177, but we have folks who shoot the .177 and .22 here.  You may, depending upon the paper quality, way it is hung, etc see more tearing with the .22 caliber, but the smaller .177s have made cleaner cutting holes with wadcutter pellets for me.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.