• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Floating the barrel

Started by sandpiper, March 18, 2012, 10:23:53 PM

sandpiper

Will someone please explain "floating the barrel", why you would want to and what supports the barrel without a band.

1377x

floating barrel is an unsupported barrel.nothing supports the barrel other than the breech
sometimes the barrel band can affect accuracy.floating barrels dont have outside interference resulting in better accuracy
just my opinion but pretty close to the definition
closed mouths dont get fed

mustangmike

some barrels do wonderful free flaoted and some just out right suck when their free floated..

crosman barrels in guns like the 2240 and disco do better having the barrel supported simple because of the barrel is mounted to the breech. crosman uses one maybe 2 set screws pinning the barrel from the top... most really good free floated barrels are pinned in place from the top and both sides and even sometimes from the bottem of the breech.. thus the barrel is held in place on 3 to 4 sides instead of just from the top
.22 disco, leapers 3-12x40 IR AO
.22 ccs 2400, leapers 4x32 (awaiting barrel swap & 7.5tko)
.22 gamo bigcat, rds
.177 walther 99q, low profile laser sight

1377x

the barrel on this gun was free floated
the only support the barrel had was the single set screw in the crosman steel breech
i tried a barrel band didnt like the look so i removed it
this gun would put 10 pellets in the same hole the size of a pellet at 10m rested
the hose clamp was my breech band as it didnt have the front breech screw threaded

Crosshairs

I guess it looks cool i added another set screw for a more secure barrel some guys add two more.
                                      Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

sandpiper

Excellent explanations  :-*

Thanks Guys

Crosshairs

And then it looked like this.
                      Mike  8)

Crosshairs

And now it looks like this.

sandpiper

That's a sharp pistol you have there Mike.

Not to mix threads but that polished bling you have reminded me. I bought an assortment of compounds and used the dremel polishing wheel to experiment. The only thing I had to test it on was my wedding ring.  I impressed myself so much that I ordered a full size buffing motor and pads. Looking forward to some high shining pistol bling. Ordered some milling bits as well. Going to play around with some more oddball mods.

DJammer

I generally use 2 extra breech screws to hold the barrel, doesn't matter if I'm free floating or not. I just like the extra security of another screw above the transfer port area and at the end of the breech.
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone 
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

1377x

i have only 1 barrel set screw on my breeches
it works well my guns get banged up because im not the only one shooting them when they get left in the garage i sometimes come home to empty tins of pellets and the nephews saying they had fun with the guns.needless to say my nephews are in their 20's and have their own firearms.they like to shoot soda bottle caps at different distances they put the their money away when i come to shoot off though
i check the zero on the scopes they are still zeroed meaning no harm no foul to the gun and thet own for the tins of pellets they use

DBOdude

not to hijack the thread ....
but could i quickly say that frame trigger and grip look infrickincredible !!!!

can you post a link to info on them and their prices

hijack over :)
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

mustangmike

.22 disco, leapers 3-12x40 IR AO
.22 ccs 2400, leapers 4x32 (awaiting barrel swap & 7.5tko)
.22 gamo bigcat, rds
.177 walther 99q, low profile laser sight

Crosshairs

Quote from: Booty Monster on March 19, 2012, 04:03:35 AM
not to hijack the thread ....
but could i quickly say that frame trigger and grip look infrickincredible !!!!

can you post a link to info on them and their prices

hijack over :)
Thanks ! As Mike posted it's made by Crosmods and i must say it is one of the best triggers i ever used on a airgun. Smooth crisp pull and it's adjustable.
                            I have mine set at 2 1/2 lbs.
                                               Mike