• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

F-1 chrony???

Started by mcc1961, March 23, 2012, 02:42:29 PM

mcc1961

I am getting a chronograph today and was wanting to know the basics to get it to work correctly?Like how far away and how far up should you shoot through it?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

1377x

it comes with instuctions that tells that info
a lot of people put the muzzle inches in front of it
i dont recommend that because oil,co2 gases splatter can interfere with the sensors giving false readings
with my airgun i use 3ft minimum from sensors and my reading match the oehler chronograph exactly,they were top notch when you could get them
lighting is impotant.i use 40 watt frosted lights over each sensor no errors unless i miss a sensor that i can tell by where the pellet impacts the back stop showing me my shot was off
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=514.0
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

My standard muzzle velocity testing is done with the muzzle a few inches back from the chrony. Alignment is critical to get good readings. I find that I rarely can shoot at targets and get consistant readings, so I just concentrate on alignment only for velocity testing. For indoor shooting, get a couple of LED puck lights from a big box DIY store, hot glue clothespins to the back and attach them under the sun shade.

To make the best use of the data in the chrony, check out ChronoConnect (http://www.chronoconnect.com/). I ordered a cable and downloaded the software. I can capture all my data to my laptop and manipulate as I see fit. ChronoConnect and a Shooting Chrony is terrific.
Larry

1377x

mcc1961

I got 735fps with my 1377 at 15 pumps.That's pretty good isn't it.
Airforce Condor .25
Daisy 880

1377x

Quote from: mcc1961 on March 23, 2012, 07:29:23 PM
I got 735fps with my 1377 at 15 pumps.That's pretty good isn't it.
very good!
how far from the chrony were you?

mcc1961

About 4-5 feet.I had to quit started raining.
Airforce Condor .25
Daisy 880

1377x

Quote from: mcc1961 on March 23, 2012, 07:36:20 PM
About 4-5 feet.I had to quit started raining.
then i would say your numbers are great!!!
if you try 6 inches from the chrony you will get an extremely high number.after hearing others doing it i tried it the numbers looked ridiculous so i use the shooting chrony standard,like i said before my numbers match the old oehler chronographs numbers. they are the cream of the crop shooting chronographs.if you cant tell i always get a second opinion on my numbers just to make myself feel reassured .knowing you was further than the manufactures reference then there is less of a chance of bad numbers

now you can figure the bc of your pellets out of your gun
can you weigh your pellets??

mcc1961

I have a cheap scale but it gets in the ballpark figures.
Airforce Condor .25
Daisy 880

1377x

Quote from: mcc1961 on March 23, 2012, 07:53:26 PM
I have a cheap scale but it gets in the ballpark figures.
does it weigh in grains?
what you want is pellets that weigh the same to a more accurate bc number
then use this calculator to get the bc
http://airgunexpo.com/calc/calc_bcc.cfm?
it works great then you see what if any difference between these numbers
http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/airgun-data-center/280-pellet-weights-bc-info.html
your numbers may vary, because its for your gun/pellet selection ,but no by much

mcc1961

I figure I am getting a little over 8 fpe at 15 pumps with the. 177 pellets weighing 7.3 grain.
Airforce Condor .25
Daisy 880

1377x

Quote from: mcc1961 on March 23, 2012, 09:11:27 PM
I figure I am getting a little over 8 fpe at 15 pumps with the. 177 pellets weighing 7.3 grain.
thats pretty good for a lite pellet
can you do a little more chrony work
shoot from the 4ft you did before and again from 6ft use a tape mesure if you can the closer to accurate the better
i want to see what the bc of the pellet is
what pellet are you using?

mcc1961

Airforce Condor .25
Daisy 880