• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Too many tasty choices!

Started by Craniac, March 23, 2012, 04:30:33 PM

Craniac

I am trying to decide whether to mod my 1377c, or just save the time and money and get a gas pistol. My goal is to have fun, and shoot accurately and perhaps join the match forum on this site at some point.  I have some questions about shooting c02:

1) Is the expense a burden?  How many powerlets do you burn through in an hour?

2) What is the difference in accuracy between a 2240/2300t/2300s/Silhouette?  (I am not a very good shot, so which of these pistols should I start with?)

3) Is it worth it in terms of performance to mod my 1377c--at what point would I just be better off buying a more accurate pistol?  I.e., is the point of modding a 1377c because it is tons of fun and they look amazing, or do you actually increase the accuracy significantly?  I am making new grips for it and probably putting on a 10" barrel and muzzle brake regardless, just because it looks great.

I realize these are somewhat subjective, philosophical questions, but look forward to your responses, thank you.

Here is a picture of a modded 1377c, not mine, just for fun:

mcc1961

I have a 2300T and a 1377c,the 2300T is a very accurate pistol and I get around 50 shots per cartridge You can get a 25 pack of cartridges for around $15 at WW.In good weather I buy 1 of these packs a month.The 1377c I have is also pretty accurate also just a little more work from pumping to shoot it.
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

woody67

You can do it and not spend too much money, or you can do it and spend a LOT of money....

What you definitely should do:

Flat top piston and Flat Top Valve
Poly tube transfer port (that requires a little drilling on your barrel)

What you can do after that:

Solid Pump arm Pin
2289 Pump arm grip (the one in your picture)
Longer barrel (you'll need a new barrel band C. Mellon sells them for very low cost, actually his prices are the best of anyones i think)
Steel Breech    -with a steel breech you can add a scope or a red dot sight....and you'll be able to stack pellet on top of pellet!
You can polish up the trigger and change the spring, or buy a trigger kit. Working on it yourself will do a good enough job though.
Heavier hammer spring
Hollow probe bolt OR extended probe bolt

It definitely is worth doing those mods. It turns a fun gun into a great gun!!

breakfastchef

Forum members shoot very accurately with 1377 and 22xx pistols.

Quote from: Craniac on March 23, 2012, 04:30:33 PM
I have some questions about shooting c02:

1) Is the expense a burden?  How many powerlets do you burn through in an hour?

$.57 per Powerlet. 30-40 good shots per Powerlet might be a good average.

Quote from: Craniac on March 23, 2012, 04:30:33 PM2) What is the difference in accuracy between a 2240/2300t/2300s/Silhouette?

All those pistols are capable of shooting accurately. You have to do your part.

Quote from: Craniac on March 23, 2012, 04:30:33 PM3)...is the point of modding a 1377c because it is tons of fun and they look amazing, or do you actually increase the accuracy significantly?

Modding a 1377 is fun, you can make the pistol look better and you can enhance the accuracy and power. Having more than one Crosman pistol is highly encouraged around here.
Larry

Plekto

I'm a fan of the custom shop's models as it saves the beginner some of the work.  Yes, I know you already have one, but some new people read this as well.

http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop
The basics, IMO, are these options:
- 10 inch German barrel (12-14 is better, but that's $100 vs ~$38)
- long steel breech (~25)
- scope and mounts ($100)

Most of the mods you see are for increased power and not accuracy.  The match grade barrel is crutial, IMO, and other than that, I'm a fan of the hollow bolt mod.  It doesn't take much money, either - my 2240 has about $200 in mods into it and shoots as accurate as a Maraduer pistol. (just about 150fps slower, naturally)  But a Marauder Pistol would be close to $550-600 total after adding a valve, a tank, scope, and taxes.

KevinP

:) :) :) My GOAL ... to have one of everyone .....   I'm sick and it is this forum's fault ........

Well, ok,   I would get yourself a co2 also .... that way you can mod both to your liking
pump for cold weather .. co2 for warm ....  2240 can be had for about $60 ....but
for $80 ish you can get the basic from the custom shop ( wish I had done that ) would have saved me $$$ in
the long run .... Funny... the long steel breech is cheaper than the short one ...
Kevin
Albany, New York

T191032

"I am trying to decide whether to mod my 1377c, or just save the time and money and get a gas pistol. My goal is to have fun, and shoot accurately and perhaps join the match forum on this site at some point.  I have some questions about shooting c02:"

Yes, to both the 1377 & CO2 burner! (ok, so I'm biased. . . LOL)

"1) Is the expense a burden?  How many powerlets do you burn through in an hour?"

I'm cheap, and like to get the most out of my Powerlet, so I'm disappointed when I only get 40 good shots out of one, happy when it's a warm day and get 70!  Oh, I do have a little thing called a "power adjuster" fitted to help and allow them to "sip" the CO2.

"2) What is the difference in accuracy between a 2240/2300t/2300s/Silhouette?  (I am not a very good shot, so which of these pistols should I start with?)"

The 2240 is your base model, the 2300S & 2300T are the fancier models intended more for target/Silhouette shooting.  Really wanna have a ball, check out the Crosman Custom Shop http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop

3) Is it worth it in terms of performance to mod my 1377c--at what point would I just be better off buying a more accurate pistol?  I.e., is the point of modding a 1377c because it is tons of fun and they look amazing, or do you actually increase the accuracy significantly?  I am making new grips for it and probably putting on a 10" barrel and muzzle brake regardless, just because it looks great.

Well, now go down to the Target Shooting section and look at some of the results.  See that feller with the S/n "Burnt09"?  He shoots a stock 1377 pneumatic pumper.   Of course, now he does shoot a bit of "Bullseye" so he does well as you can see.  Yea, a "stock" 1377 can be quite accurate, if you are up to it.

As for the rest of it, well, you get the satisfaction of making the air pistol (1377 or 2240, or ordering the 2300KT Custom Shop) to suit YOU, which gives it a personal touch.

It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.