• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Breech screw??

Started by mcc1961, March 25, 2012, 07:45:52 PM

mcc1961

Does anyone have trouble keeping the small breech screw tight?I think I have fixed the problem with blue loctite and I am going to let it dry for 24 hours.It is on my 1377 carbine and have a 3-9x40AO  scope on it.Do you think the scope is too heavy.
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

1377x

thats up to you if its too heavy or not
i see a lot of 1377's with them or the bug busters
the blue loctite will do the job
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Of all the breechs I've changed out, probably close to a hundred, I have never had a problem with a loose screw. More often it is too tight and I must take extra time to remove it after I have damaged it.

You should be good with the blue Lock Tight.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

1377x

i havent had the breech screw work loose either.but the loc-tite will solve your issue

eric

had a centerpoint 4-16x40 AO on a few and never had a problem
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

mustangmike

i really hope you got it tight that screw strips out easly

trick

use a c clamp between the tube and the breech just in front of the loading port clamp it down and then thread and tighten the breech screw in place and then remove the clamp.. by clamping it you are pushing the 2 together tighten then by hand or the screw.. when the screw is tightend and the clamp removed the breech and tube try to push themselves apart which they can do.

to remove the breech clamp it down good again and then loosen the screw
.22 disco, leapers 3-12x40 IR AO
.22 ccs 2400, leapers 4x32 (awaiting barrel swap & 7.5tko)
.22 gamo bigcat, rds
.177 walther 99q, low profile laser sight

1377x

me personally i would cut a slot into the screw not too deep though
then a flathead screw driver can be used instead

crossliner

Here is mine in stainless :) It is an allen button screw ( see side by side pics ) but I had the diameter of the head lathe-reduced so that it mimic's Crosman's. Also I had the tube's thread retapped as it and Crosman's do not share the same thread configuration. What I like about this screw is that the allen wrench for it is 2mm as opposed to the infernal 1.3mm  :)

In its semi tightened state

crossliner

Now I can tighten it real good w/ no fear of stripping  :) Best regards.

arkmaker †

Are you using a 4-40 thread? I have thought about doing that in the past, but because the tube wall is so thin, I worried that there would not be enough threads and I would end up stripping them out. Let us know how longevity works out for you in say about 500 rounds, ok?
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

crossliner

Quote from: arkmaker on May 02, 2012, 03:58:46 PM
Are you using a 4-40 thread? I have thought about doing that in the past, but because the tube wall is so thin, I worried that there would not be enough threads and I would end up stripping them out. Let us know how longevity works out for you in say about 500 rounds, ok?
Rich
Noted Mr. Ark and no I don't think (forgive my ignorance) it is a 4-40 it having fine threads. The tube wall may be thin but it is hardened steel is it not? Moreover ss is not too hard a material so it should more or less conform. Also I have observed that while turning the screw there is no looseness in fact it is on the tight side w/c I think is a good sign. I can really tighten it well it actually sounds like torque-wrenched. Best regards.