• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

just to let you guys know...

Started by asset smith, April 26, 2012, 10:12:51 PM

asset smith

if you ever have any paint questions, automotive or industrial i have worked in the refinish business in one way or another for the last 12 years. i currently run a ppg paint shop in florida. anyhow i figured sometimes folks want to paint airgun parts and such or even if you have a side project on an old car or bike. just thought i'd lend my knowledge to my fellow crosmaholics.
"The dirty dozen for the price of one."

quickster47 †

Thanks for posting this about what you do.  Might in the near distant future need some of your advice and help on a 1932 Harley I am trying to acquire to restore.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

I need someone that can air brush a 1377 do you know someone.
                              Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

asset smith

absolutely carl. thats exactly why i posted this thread. paint can be a tricky task indeed.

mike,  it depends on what kind of atrwork your after? what level of detail is needed? all i deal with all day long is this stuff  so if you have an example you could post or email i would have a better idea of who to talk to. all those guys have different styles and specialties.

cheewee

ok i have a question.
if i paint something at home is it worthwhile baking it in the oven, if so how long and how hot.
i know we "cook" fire trucks at work all the time but is it just to speed up drying time or does it give a more durable finish.
thanks
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

asset smith

Quote from: cheewee on April 28, 2012, 09:11:55 PM
ok i have a question.
if i paint something at home is it worthwhile baking it in the oven, if so how long and how hot.
i know we "cook" fire trucks at work all the time but is it just to speed up drying time or does it give a more durable finish.
thanks

you are correct about baking to speed production. in the auto/industrial paint world heat only speeds the drying prosses. however some spraycan enamel and laquer finishes require baking to cure the paint. unless its required by the manufacturer its only going to make the wife mad about a funny smell in the kitchen. but if and when you do bake paint its usally around 150*F
hope that helps

cmj21973

I've used appliance epoxy spray paint and it's okay except for wear areas, were pump arm hit gripframe.

What brand/kind of DIY gun paint do you recommend?

I'm leaning towards Duracoat, but there are others out there I might not know. 

asset smith

i make stuff at work using industrial modified enamel i put into spray cans (i have a spray can machine at work) it works great. i sprayed my mossberg 500 with it and its fine where the pump slides back and forth. some cleaning solvents will mess it up but i just use the solvents i have found to be safe (mainly Outers nitro solvent).