• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

A few words about BDS

Started by Crosshairs, May 04, 2012, 12:28:08 AM

Crosshairs

I just want to let you guys know i have been friends with Brian for a short time but he is a great guy, always wiling to help and give advice with any air gun stuff. If any of you have springers he is the man to ask any questions.
                                         Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

BDS

Quote from: Crosshairs on May 04, 2012, 12:28:08 AM
I just want to let you guys know i have been friends with Brian for a short time but he is a great guy, always wiling to help and give advice with any air gun stuff. If any of you have springers he is the man to ask any questions.
                                         Mike  8)

Uh-huh, and Mike has made me the Crosman pistol addict that I am today! ;)

Thanks Mike, and I am always glad to help in anyway I can. After 40 years of building missile & defense parts and assemblies, I have learned one, maybe two things about mechanical stuff!

Brian
Brian

1377x

great!
you will fit in just fine around here!
closed mouths dont get fed

bradpsu

I'll be asking you about an old BSA Meteor break barrel rifle when I'm up for the challenge and have time.  Just done with a 2240 mod and I'm going to relax and enjoy it right now. 

Basic deal is it will not fire.  I've read leaving them in the cocked position and ready to fire for long periods of time can damage them.  Apparently I "must" have done that last time I had it out because it will not fire and the barrel won't break down completely and cock....it only goes part way and stops.  Last time I had the gun out to fire was probably 15-20 years ago!  So the damage may be terminal.  Would love to fix it if I could...gift from my Grandfather who passed away years ago. 

storsy

Quote from: bradpsu on May 04, 2012, 09:10:33 PM
I'll be asking you about an old BSA Meteor break barrel rifle when I'm up for the challenge and have time.  Just done with a 2240 mod and I'm going to relax and enjoy it right now. 

Basic deal is it will not fire.  I've read leaving them in the cocked position and ready to fire for long periods of time can damage them.  Apparently I "must" have done that last time I had it out because it will not fire and the barrel won't break down completely and cock....it only goes part way and stops.  Last time I had the gun out to fire was probably 15-20 years ago!  So the damage may be terminal.  Would love to fix it if I could...gift from my Grandfather who passed away years ago.

Have you tried stripping it down completely and giving it a good  polish. I had one many years ago, didn't clean and dry it after using it in the rain, had similar problems to you, it worked fine after doing a clean up job, and a re-grease and oil.
I only replaced the spring, as it was a bit of a mess, so lightly greased the new one, before fitting it.
WD40 on every part you can before taking it to bits helps.
it is ok that we protect animals rights,
But much more important,
We protect our HUMAN rights.....

Scotland-UK

bradpsu

You just ran down the list of things I've already tried....short of removing the spring and replacing it.  Honestly under the tension it's apparently under I would not be sure how to safely remove it.  And this gun rarely if ever saw the rain...and it doesn't "appear" to a corrosion issue.  "Innards" look pretty clean.