• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Best paint for trigger frame...suggestions?

Started by bradpsu, May 09, 2012, 02:50:29 AM

bradpsu

With some recent work on my 2240 and some low quality stock bolts I have scratched the paint a bit on my trigger frame.  Am planning on re-finishing it to remove the seam from the factory anyway.  I want to finish it as close to stock as I can but I wouldn't mind a little gloss I guess.  What black paint have any of you guys used that you've liked? 

breakfastchef

I like Dura-Coat products. The Shake 'N Spray kit is perfect for DIY projects. The HK semigloss black may be a color to consider. I used that on a Mark II refurb. There is plenty of paint in the kit to do three, maybe four, pistols so have a few projects lines up so you do not waste good paint.
Larry

quickster47 †

Wow Larry, that Mark II came out really sharp.  :-*   :-*:-*. Must have missed that one in the regular postings.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

bradpsu

Thanks Larry!  That does look very nice!   :-*

bradpsu

How many layers did you go with there?  Also did you go with their DuraCoat clear finish when done with the paint or use any other processes? 

breakfastchef

Quote from: bradpsu on May 09, 2012, 04:01:55 AM
How many layers did you go with there?  Also did you go with their DuraCoat clear finish when done with the paint or use any other processes?

Two light coats as recommended on the instructions. No clear finish needed for this color. If you do a good clean up of the frame, the paint lays on very nicely. If I do another gun, I would have the frame bead blasted. That would save several hours of tedious work prepping the pistol. Depending upon the desired effect you are trying to achieve, do not overlook little items like pin ends and screw heads.
Larry

mcc1961

Like to have one like that for myself.Very nice!!!
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

Crosshairs

Gun Kote is another option but you need to bake it in the oven. And like Larry said Dura Coat is also good  blue gun.
                                   Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Fronzdan

Hi Mike...did you paint the trigger group cover in the silver one, or is that a metal replacement version?

asset smith

SEM trim black part #39143 is a mid gloss/eggshell finish. it has a mild acid in it to etch to the metal so it doesnt chip off. it also etches to plastic so its ideal for blackout jobs. the duracoat and gun kote are good products too. but the trim black is more available as its sold at autoparts and hardware stores. the hands down best option is to locate a ppg store that can charge spray cans and get them to make you a can of LIC.ALK200 in S.G. black. it is what i make to do firearms refinishes. its industrail grade modified aylked enamel and works the business on firearm's ordinance steel. i havent yet done a crosman as i've only been working on airguns for a short time now. hope that helps
"The dirty dozen for the price of one."

Crosshairs

Quote from: Fronzdan on May 09, 2012, 05:25:57 PM
Hi Mike...did you paint the trigger group cover in the silver one, or is that a metal replacement version?
The trigger frame is painted.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

cmj21973

I've tried appliance epoxy black. Looks good but scratches off with finger nail.

I'm stripping my frame so I can try something different. Will make seperate post on how it does.

1377x

Quote from: cmj21973 on May 10, 2012, 02:49:21 AM
I've tried appliance epoxy black. Looks good but scratches off with finger nail.

I'm stripping my frame so I can try something different. Will make seperate post on how it does.
do you think primer would help?
i usually use it before painting bare metal and paints sticks great
closed mouths dont get fed

cmj21973

Quote from: 1377x on May 10, 2012, 06:05:15 AM
do you think primer would help?
i usually use it before painting bare metal and paints sticks great

I'm going to use engine primer and then coat it with brake caliper paint. After it dries I'll bake it for a hour at 200 degrees in a toaster oven.