• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Steel breech Rear Screw Size

Started by Nightsniper52, May 22, 2012, 07:30:52 AM

Nightsniper52

I had bought a Steel Breech 2240SBPK and it didn't come with the shorter rear screw like in the Kit you buy.  Does anyone know the Length and Thread Size???  And the size of the set screw for the Barrel??  I thought about getting both in a Allen head.    Thanks Jeff   :-*

JEBert

Screw for rear of Crosman Steel breech is an 8-32 X 0.685 ~ .003 (11/16") and button head Allen screw is warranted if wishing it to not protrude above the upper breech surface.  I got the above length for my gun by taking the rear plug out of the gun, then screwing the screw into the rear plug until it just reaches the inside of the plug.  Not so far as to interfere with the hammer spring.  Then count the exact number of turns it takes to unscrew it until it clicks indicating that it is all of the way out.  With everything installed except the screw, put the screw in place, turn it counter-clockwise until it clicks, and then turn it back in that same number of turns.  Now, turn it in until it is tight continuing to count the turns. That last number of turns is how many threads you need to grind off of an 8-32X3/4 button head Allen screw.  It should be about two threads (at 32 threads per inch, two threads would equal 1/16").  I got my Allen screws at Lowe's or Home Depot in stainless steel.  It might have been OK if I had left it at 3/4" but I wanted to be sure that it didn't interfere with the hammer spring.
The setscrew hole for the barrel is tapped for an 8-32 setscrew.  If you want to order them from Crosman: part# 88-089 @ $1.15 each.
Cheers,

Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

BDS

Quote from: JEBert on May 22, 2012, 12:26:56 PM
Screw for rear of Crosman Steel breech is an 8-32 X 0.685 ~ .003 (11/16") and button head Allen screw is warranted if wishing it to not protrude above the upper breech surface.  I got the above length for my gun by taking the rear plug out of the gun, then screwing the screw into the rear plug until it just reaches the inside of the plug.  Not so far as to interfere with the hammer spring.  Then count the exact number of turns it takes to unscrew it until it clicks indicating that it is all of the way out.  With everything installed except the screw, put the screw in place, turn it counter-clockwise until it clicks, and then turn it back in that same number of turns.  Now, turn it in until it is tight continuing to count the turns. That last number of turns is how many threads you need to grind off of an 8-32X3/4 button head Allen screw.  It should be about two threads (at 32 threads per inch, two threads would equal 1/16").  I got my Allen screws at Lowe's or Home Depot in stainless steel.  It might have been OK if I had left it at 3/4" but I wanted to be sure that it didn't interfere with the hammer spring.
The setscrew hole for the barrel is tapped for an 8-32 setscrew.  If you want to order them from Crosman: part# 88-089 @ $1.15 each.
Cheers,

+1 to JEBert's comments, and the critical features are length and the lo-head of the screw so as not to interfere with mounting of scope rings or other stuff.
Brian

Nightsniper52

Thank you so much!!  Im off to the hardware store.   :-*

1377x

could you shorten the stock screw you have?
closed mouths dont get fed

Nightsniper52

I could with no problem.  But I would like to change it to Allen head.  Thanks Jeff

BDS

Quote from: Nightsniper52 on May 22, 2012, 11:02:38 PM
I could with no problem.  But I would like to change it to Allen head.  Thanks Jeff

Button Head, Button Head, the typical socket head capscrew ("Allen head") will protrude quite a bit past the dovetail. :-*
Brian

1377x

Quote from: BDS on May 22, 2012, 11:18:40 PM
Button Head, Button Head, the typical socket head capscrew ("Allen head") will protrude quite a bit past the dovetail. :-*
its the round head with allen keyhole, right?

BDS

Yup, it's this guy  :-*

OK, it's a big picture of a little screw!  ;D

PS Button-heads work great at the upper/rear frame screw too, you know, the one that digs into the web of your hand  >:(
Brian

1377x

thats what i thought you talking about!

crossliner

Quote from: JEBert on May 22, 2012, 12:26:56 PM
Cheers,

Mr. Jebert what is the drill bit size again for that 8-32 set screw? I intend to fortify my barrel and install 2 more set screws. Must be here somewhere but it seems the info is playing hide and seek w/ me  :-X Thanks and best regards.

JEBert

Quotewhat is the drill bit size again for that 8-32 set screw?
I don't remember what size comes with the tap if you purchase them as a set but I have a chart that calls for a #27 for 50% threads in iron and stainless steel or #29 for75% threads in aluminum and plastics.
You could get away with 9/64" for either material if you are careful.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

crossliner

cmj21973

Irwin/Hanson #80187, 13 piece all purpose drill and tap set.

8-32NC tap/ #29 drill

Drill and tap chart:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=drill+and+tap+chart&view=detail&id=FEB76D1E61C3290469B55597C5B5C62AFEF96063&first=1

P.S. Use cutting oil/light machine oil when cutting threads and take your time.

crossliner