• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

LOCATION OF .050" SOCKE HEAD?

Started by BDS, May 29, 2012, 11:42:37 PM

BDS

My latest Custom Shop 2300 has the infamous .050" socket head screw aft or rear of the bolt tip, that's just the opposite of my 1377 and my original 2240 pistol, which are located forward of the bolt tip. Is one location a newer design than the other? Makes more sense to be aft to reduce pellet interference with the bolt and breech right?  ???
Brian

breakfastchef

The aft position of the breech screw is considered the 'new' position. I agree it makes loads more sense.
Larry

arkmaker †

and taking the gun apart more of a hassle. to me anyway
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Colt25

Quote from: arkmaker on May 30, 2012, 03:16:00 AM
and taking the gun apart more of a hassle. to me anyway

Agreed. Especially when you strip that screw :-[

eric

i think the old position is better . the little screw is closer to the tp so it will seal better .if you can't loud a pellet, use a different technique or use some wax  :)
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

mustangmike

Quote from: Colt25 on May 30, 2012, 03:26:09 AM
Agreed. Especially when you strip that screw :-[

that small screw is no longer a problem or worry about stripping it out.

remove the trigger frame, use a c clamp and clamp the breech and airtube together, then when ur ready to remove the small screw slide the bolt all the back after removing the back end of the airtube and hammer spring and loosen the breech screw and remove it. then remove the c clamp, when you reinstall it put the c clamp back on it before installing the trigger frame and clamp it up nice and tight, then just tighten the breech screw to 1/4 turn past snug and remove the clamp.

the breech is now closer and tighter to the airtube then it would be if you just tightened the breech by hand and not use a c clamp. also because the breech and airtube are so tight together their pushign away from the each other. that effect will keep the breech screw nice and tight.

BUT REMEMBER TO USE A C CLAMP BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE THE BREECH SCREW IF YOU USED A C CLAMP WHEN YOU TIGHTENED THE BREECH SCREW DOWN.. YOU WILL NOT LOOSEN THE SCREW WITH OUT THE CLAMP, IT WILL STRIP SO DONT EVEN TRY IT
.22 disco, leapers 3-12x40 IR AO
.22 ccs 2400, leapers 4x32 (awaiting barrel swap & 7.5tko)
.22 gamo bigcat, rds
.177 walther 99q, low profile laser sight

BDS

Quote from: mustangmike on May 30, 2012, 03:47:29 AM
that small screw is no longer a problem or worry about stripping it out.

remove the trigger frame, use a c clamp and clamp the breech and airtube together, then when ur ready to remove the small screw slide the bolt all the back after removing the back end of the airtube and hammer spring and loosen the breech screw and remove it. then remove the c clamp, when you reinstall it put the c clamp back on it before installing the trigger frame and clamp it up nice and tight, then just tighten the breech screw to 1/4 turn past snug and remove the clamp.

the breech is now closer and tighter to the airtube then it would be if you just tightened the breech by hand and not use a c clamp. also because the breech and airtube are so tight together their pushign away from the each other. that effect will keep the breech screw nice and tight.

BUT REMEMBER TO USE A C CLAMP BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE THE BREECH SCREW IF YOU USED A C CLAMP WHEN YOU TIGHTENED THE BREECH SCREW DOWN.. YOU WILL NOT LOOSEN THE SCREW WITH OUT THE CLAMP, IT WILL STRIP SO DONT EVEN TRY IT

Good call on that one Mike, thx.  :-*
Brian

Fronzdan

Quote from: eric on May 30, 2012, 03:44:47 AM
i think the old position is better . the little screw is closer to the tp so it will seal better .if you can't loud a pellet, use a different technique or use some wax  :)

Totally agree with that.  Plus having more distance between the two screws, the breech tends to sit flatter on the air tube.  The breech on my 2400 tends to angle slightly up off the air tube on the muzzle side because of this.  I have to use a barrel band to keep it perfectly flat. 

Plus what you have to do to get at the screw is a real pain.