• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Be careful shooting golf balls!

Started by Colt25, June 01, 2012, 05:23:56 AM

Colt25

I was shooting golf balls with a .177 sub 700fps airgun and everything goes as planned then I hear a PPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW Of the pellet tumbling over my head. I could hear it because it was creating turbulence. And I hear it smack my house behind me. note that the (golf) ball was about 15-20 yards away. BE CAREFUL!

Oldnshakey

Quote from: Colt25 on June 01, 2012, 05:23:56 AM
I was shooting golf balls with a .177 sub 700fps airgun and everything goes as planned then I hear a PPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW Of the pellet tumbling over my head. I could hear it because it was creating turbulence. And I hear it smack my house behind me. note that the (golf) ball was about 15-20 yards away. BE CAREFUL!
I have had that happen even with the wiffle golf balls while shooting them with a 400-500 fps target pistol. 
Tom..........Two 2400kt's, 2240, Cr MKI, 1377, S&W 686 co2, Beeman P17 .

More pistols than I need but not as many as I want.

Colt25

Quote from: Oldnshakey on June 01, 2012, 07:10:29 AM
I have had that happen even with the wiffle golf balls while shooting them with a 400-500 fps target pistol.

I think you need a air gun over that for a richichet. I was using a daisy 880.

BDS

Golf balls have extremely high surface tension, think about it, they get whacked with a 10 ounce titanium face at about 100 mph and are nearly unscathed  :D shoot at your own risk  :-X

Any small projectile hitting a static golf ball even at low speeds has the potential to ricochet at up to 70% of it's initial speed, that goes for 350 fps bb guns even more than 700 fps lead pellets, steel BBs are hard!
Brian

Colt25

Quote from: BDS on June 01, 2012, 04:35:31 PM
Golf balls have extremely high surface tension, think about it, they get whacked with a 10 ounce titanium face at about 100 mph and are nearly unscathed  :D shoot at your own risk  :-X
Thanks for the info. What about foam foam balls?lol

BDS

Brian

Cowray

I don't like the idea of shooting at balls. Just seems very wrong. :o

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

Colt25

woody67

Don't Shoot Golf Balls is one of the most important rules of shooting airguns. I've seen it written hundreds of times all over the internet. . . .and the reason: They cause perfect ricochets!

BDS

Brian

mudduck48

We used to shoot golf balls years ago with my friends .22lr. We called it mountain golfing. Lots of fun. :)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

jSan22

Golf balls are definitely a little too hard for getting shot at. Try foam or tennis balls.

quickster47 †

What I use quite often are ping-pong balls set on a golf tee.  Pretty safe but quite a challenge and you definitely know when you nail one.  :)

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Darth

Quote from: quickster47 on February 26, 2016, 06:33:06 PM
What I use quite often are ping-pong balls set on a golf tee. 
Now there's an awesome idea ...  :-*
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php