• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Crosman King RatCatcher; new sights and adjusting them

Started by balacau, June 03, 2012, 08:30:19 PM

balacau

I haven't used my King Ratty much after I purchased it; the reason why is that the rats seemed to have left the day that I bought it and brought it home! ;D

Anyway now that I've had some time to practice, including modifying it to use the smaller 12g Co2 bottles; I'm looking for a sight which will give me a bit more magnification and perhaps be a bit of a better performer in low light conditions.

More importantly however; I haven't actually needed to adjust the standard sights on my King Ratty as it seemed to be accurate enough for the range I was expecting to shoot at.  If I get a new sight for it, this will need to be done.  The instructions I downloaded are basic to say the least, there is no mention of which turret is for up/down adjustment, and which controls left/right.  :-[  ???

So which one controls which adjustment?  A higher magnification sight surely will need finer tuning?

Thanks for your time and any replies.

Best regards

Gavin
Understanding is a 3-edged sword.  Your side, their side and the truth.

mr007s

Hi Gavin, the web will offer many pages of instruction for dialing in your new scope. The turret on the top will be for the up and down adjustment, the one on the side for right and left. Scopes come in many adjustments such as 1/8-1/4-1/2 moi.
Basically a 1/4 moi means for each click of the turret the point of impact will move 1/4 inch at 100 yards. If you are sighting in at 25 yards, which is one forth of a hundred our clicks will only move the poi one forth of a quarter which translates to 1/16".

Don't be too nervous, you will get her dialed in. More help will be on the way I am sure.

balacau

Quote from: mr007s on June 03, 2012, 08:47:03 PM
Hi Gavin, the web will offer many pages of instruction for dialing in your new scope. The turret on the top will be for the up and down adjustment, the one on the side for right and left. Scopes come in many adjustments such as 1/8-1/4-1/2 moi.
Basically a 1/4 moi means for each click of the turret the point of impact will move 1/4 inch at 100 yards. If you are sighting in at 25 yards, which is one forth of a hundred our clicks will only move the poi one forth of a quarter which translates to 1/16".

Don't be too nervous, you will get her dialed in. More help will be on the way I am sure.

Thank you, that does help me alot.  :-*

20-25 yards is the distance that I'm looking at; which as I understand it is more or less the max effective range of the RatCatcher-series of rifles (unmodified of course).

Best regards

Gavin

woody67

Easiest way in my opinion is to secure the gun in a vice or a solid rest, set a target 10 yards out (or however far you want to zero your scope) and take a shot. Look through the scope and adjust the dials somthe crosshairs move right on top of the hole. From there, if everything is consistent, every shot at that distance should go right where you aim it.

Figuring out the left and right gets confusing some times, but youll get used to it as you play with it...

balacau

Quote from: woody67 on June 03, 2012, 08:51:36 PM
Easiest way in my opinion is to secure the gun in a vice or a solid rest, set a target 10 yards out (or however far you want to zero your scope) and take a shot. Look through the scope and adjust the dials somthe crosshairs move right on top of the hole. From there, if everything is consistent, every shot at that distance should go right where you aim it.

Figuring out the left and right gets confusing some times, but youll get used to it as you play with it...

Very good advice thank you.  I do believe I have a clamp in the garage that would be perfect for holding the rifle into a static position during sight zeroing.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Best regards

Gavin

JEBert

QuoteThe turret on the top will be for the up and down adjustment, the one on the side for right and left.
That is, of course unless someone has mounted the scope 90 degrees off.  If the turret on the left side has an arrow that says U or up, and the turret on the top has an arrow that says L or R (it should be on the right of the scope), turn the scope 90 degrees to the right.
Also, I have a very inexpensive red dot sight that, although it is mounted correctly, the right turret says L with an arrow pointing in the direction intended to adjust the scope to the left, doing so adjusts it to the right instead of left.  Somehow it is marked backwards.  That one always gives me pause when I go to adjust it until I remember that it is the one marked wrong.  It works pretty well otherwise.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

balacau

Quote from: JEBert on June 03, 2012, 09:33:55 PM
That is, of course unless someone has mounted the scope 90 degrees off.  If the turret on the left side has an arrow that says U or up, and the turret on the top has an arrow that says L or R (it should be on the right of the scope), turn the scope 90 degrees to the right.

I've checked over the standard sight which came with my King Ratty and there doesn't seem to be any indication (L or R lettering) on the turrets.  I guess I'll find out one way or another when I get the new sight and start zeroing it in. 

Best regards

Gavin

woody67

Come to think of it, the scope that comes with that gun doesn't have an adjustable parallax.

That scope is pretty easy to sight in, since you don't have to worry about adjusting distance and worrying if it's correct or off half a yard or so...
I'm sure you'll have no problem at all once you give it go..

balacau

My garden's pretty square anyway so it doesn't matter which way I'm facing, the distance is pretty much the same.

woody67

Quote from: balacau on June 03, 2012, 11:05:09 PM
My garden's pretty square anyway so it doesn't matter which way I'm facing, the distance is pretty much the same.

Unless you're shooting corner to corner, then you'd have to add half to your 'wall to wall' measurements.

That type of scope is perfect for your shooting needs then, even if it does look a little small on a gun like that!

Nightsniper52

Need to see a Pic of that King Ratty!!   Please............. :-*

balacau

Quote from: woody67 on June 04, 2012, 01:00:39 AM
Unless you're shooting corner to corner, then you'd have to add half to your 'wall to wall' measurements.

That type of scope is perfect for your shooting needs then, even if it does look a little small on a gun like that!

Well I was looking at the theory that rats in particular are more active at dusk, typically when its harder to see them.  If I could purchase a new sight that would give me a better chance of hitting them later in the day, I'd be very satisfied indeed.  The first thing that tends to happen is the crosshairs tend to go invisible when it gets dark (they are not illuminated) which makes hitting something more difficult but not impossible.

But for daytime shooting, the scope works fine.

As for a picture of my King Ratty, well its not modified apart from the Co2 bottle conversion but I can do so if you want to see it?

Best regards

Gavin

Nightsniper52

Nightsniper52

Quote from: balacau on June 04, 2012, 10:12:02 AM
Well I was looking at the theory that rats in particular are more active at dusk, typically when its harder to see them.  If I could purchase a new sight that would give me a better chance of hitting them later in the day, I'd be very satisfied indeed.  The first thing that tends to happen is the crosshairs tend to go invisible when it gets dark (they are not illuminated) which makes hitting something more difficult but not impossible.
But for daytime shooting, the scope works fine.

As for a picture of my King Ratty, well its not modified apart from the Co2 bottle conversion but I can do so if you want to see it?

Best regards

Gavin
If using a Regular Scope with Crosshairs they dont need to be aluminated to see your Target.  When it gets to dark to see your target you need a Light source,and hold it next to your Gun so that your target is lit up.
Now looking through the scope you will see your crosshairs just like daylight.
Also if your wanting to hunt in low light conditions get a 40mm-50mm scope.
It will gather more ambiant light than a smaller objective scope  :-*

balacau

Quote from: Nightsniper52 on June 05, 2012, 05:37:13 AM
Yes,I would love to see it!! :-*

Well ok, here is my King Ratty.

Not brilliant pictures I am afraid, I would have taken some outside but since we had guests it didn't seem a good idea at the time!

Basically there it is!  The Co2 conversion addition does alter the balance slightly but its not too bad at all. 

Many thanks for the tip on the scope.  I will certainly look into that idea.