• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

What replaced the 2250XT King RatCatcher?

Started by balacau, June 15, 2012, 01:49:09 PM

balacau

Looking through a Crosman-related website last night, they really have produced a staggering array of .22 rifles over the years.  The thing which perked my curiousity the most was the fact that the King RatCatcher is now a discontinued model.

There's a rather nice looking 2250XE "Outdoorsman", but limited production numbers with this model.  Apart from that, there's no mention of a King Ratty replacement.

Perhaps they just didn't sell as many as they'd hoped?  The original 2250 is still available.  Perhaps the 88gr bottles weren't a great selling feature?

Best regards

Gavin
Understanding is a 3-edged sword.  Your side, their side and the truth.

BDS

Yes to all ... ;)

The 88 gr carts are very pricey and, if not fully used often leak down over time, which is a huge waste. (although if seals are maintained and lubed, I've never had a leak down)

The 2250XE (wood stock?) is just a 2250 custom shop type gun with the nice pecan-wood stock, also very pricey, about $200 US I think?

I have noticed that there are far more posts and web info about the King from the UK and EU than here in the states, was it a UK model?
Brian

balacau

Quote from: BDS on June 15, 2012, 07:53:27 PM
Yes to all ... ;)

The 88 gr carts are very pricey and, if not fully used often leak down over time, which is a huge waste. (although if seals are maintained and lubed, I've never had a leak down)

The 2250XE (wood stock?) is just a 2250 custom shop type gun with the nice pecan-wood stock, also very pricey, about $200 US I think?

I have noticed that there are far more posts and web info about the King from the UK and EU than here in the states, was it a UK model?

Well I've seen plenty of King Ratcatchers on US sites too, listed in both US and Canadian dollars.  I don't think these were used guns?  More like because of the gun laws over here in the UK, its a better way of dealing with vermin while staying within the regulations.  At least that's my guess on the matter.  Having said that, even the authorised dealer where I bought my King Ratty from said that the 2250 standard was a far more popular choice.

Indeed the 88gr ones are a bit of a waste.  I think the 12gr conversion works well and also allows me to get more comfy while aiming and sitting/standing with the 2250XT for an extended period (like I have been doing over the last couple of days waiting for the rats to show themselves).  So it makes financial and comfort sense to use the 12gr conversion!  Win-win situation really.

As for the 2250XE (wood stock), it looks a bit strange with all that "furniture" but I dare say it'd look great as a display piece!  No doubt as an anti-vermin rifle as well, it'd suit the bill nicely.

Best regards

Gavin

BDS

Right  ;) the old 12 foot lbs limit, I believe Canadian folks have the same regs but, they don't allow shrouded barrels up there or the swooshy round thingy that knocks down noise.
Brian

balacau

Quote from: BDS on June 15, 2012, 09:28:11 PM
Right  ;) the old 12 foot lbs limit, I believe Canadian folks have the same regs but, they don't allow shrouded barrels up there or the swooshy round thingy that knocks down noise.

Not quite sure if sound suppressors are legal here in the UK without a FAC although there's plenty of kits around so you can modify your air rifle.  I was expecting the King Ratty to be louder than it actually is anyway, so in my view such a thing isn't necessary really.

Interesting that the Canadians should have similar rules to us in the UK.  I wasn't aware of that fact.

Best regards

Gavin

BDS

Quote from: balacau on June 15, 2012, 09:37:48 PM
Not quite sure if sound suppressors are legal here in the UK without a FAC although there's plenty of kits around so you can modify your air rifle.  I was expecting the King Ratty to be louder than it actually is anyway, so in my view such a thing isn't necessary really.

Interesting that the Canadians should have similar rules to us in the UK.  I wasn't aware of that fact.

Best regards

Gavin

Oh... I need to get you up to speed on UK law, and I'm in Idaho ha-ha!  :D

Yes, suppressors are legal in the UK for airguns, in fact, they are quite common among many airgunners in your homeland. You can buy them from many airgun shops in the UK and Air Arms and Weihrauch make after market items that typically mount on a 1/2" UNF (fine thread) on the end of the barrel. No FAC required.
Brian