• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Hold Sensitivity of a 1377

Started by breakfastchef, July 10, 2012, 03:10:18 AM

breakfastchef

Anyone who has ever shot a spring rifle knows they can be very hold sensitive. If you grip them like a powder burner, you will never get one to shoot accurately. Alternatively, holding some springers too lightly can also cause accuracy problems. So what does this have to do with a multi-pump pneumatic pistol like the 1377? Well, I will tell you what I may have discovered.

I have a 1377 carbine that has been inconsistant to the point it ranks as a mediocre plinker and not a target shooter. This ihas been going on for several months. One shot in the bull, next shot somewhere else, next shot who knows, etc. I looked at all the possible culprits: barrel crown; barrel leade; breech-barrel connection; grips, bolts; barrel bands; pump arm pins; other sighting devices; loads and loads of pellet varieties; alternative benchrests; with and without muzzle breaks; and a different barrel. Everytime I thought I had this carbine licked, it would start throwing several flyers. When you have so much inconsistancy, you have no clue which pellet was the accurate one, and cannot ever really dial in your sight.

Today I shot the carbine more like a springer. To my suprise this thing is very much the tack driver with the right hold. I cannot understand why this is, but I believe I have a 1377 that is hold sensitive. Now watch me shoot her tomorrow and be right back where I started.
Larry

mr007s

I know what you mean. My Gamo Whisper took a while to figure out. Never noticed my hand guns behaving that way. I try to follow the instructions from this video by Todd Jarret: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363#

It was posted here several years back and I have it bookmarked for reference.

tinker

Gee I thought I was alone!  One of my 1740's is hold sensitive too.  I to thought there was something amiss but it was how I held the pistol grip.  I now hold with very little thumb pressure and it has cured the trouble. Right handed so my thumb looks like its sticking out up and left towards the left.
My thumb hole stock for my Disco from "Disco-R-Us" had the same trouble. Every couple of shots a flier 1/2" outside the group.  I need to sand and reshaped the grip area and used the grip as on the 1740 and like magic the accuracy and group consistency returned.

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

RC1947

Yes, it does make a difference.  As a habit, I hold all my guns, pistol or rifle, with a relaxed grip.  If I find myself tensing up, my groups suffer.  A springer pistol in our collection will certainly teach a lesson or two, or create gun throwing frustration.  Excellent point :-* RC

Crosshairs

As we all know if you hold a gun the same way each and every time you will always hit your mark it's that little bit of difference that does it. Lots of pratice , concentration, trigger pull and the balance of the gun is the key  :-*
                                                             Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

BDS

Yup, and don't forget to follow the pellet all the way through the target! It's a lot like golf.. head down, find a spot on the ball to focus on (target) chin up, swing thru and stay focused on the ball until it's long gone. Do this every time and your score improves.  :-*
Brian