• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Old Fart Eyes - Best Sights or Tricks

Started by Canam1, July 16, 2012, 03:59:54 PM

Canam1

Hello,
It's a bear getting old. My eye sight sure isn't what it use to be years ago. When shooting I have to wear my glasses to see the sights on the gun, but then the target is all fuzzed out. Of course it is just the opposite without the glasses, target is clear, but the sights are not. Now I am not as blind as a bat mind you, I can see everything, but I am sure my accuracy could be better. Shooting a target at 30 feet I can get all shots within about a 2 inch circle.....
My 1377 is stock right now so what would be a good sight to get to help my situation or are there any tricks so to speak?
Thanks
Mark

BDS

OK, with a "stock" 1377 your options are limited for two, important reasons. 1) You have a plastic breech with no set screw retaining the barrel from rotating and... 2) if you use the Crosman barrel mounts to mount a scope or Red-dot sight, the weight of the optics will likely rotate the barrel due to # 1.

The short answer is; you will need a steel breech, a set of medium height scope mounts and a 2x psitol scope to improve your shooting, IMO.
Brian

RC1947

Many of us have the same problem.  If you mount a steel breech on your pistol you can choose between a scope or red dot sight.  I use and enjoy both, and I don't think my accuracy is better with one over the other.  Red dots are generally inexpensive, and I've had excellent results with inexpensive scopes such as NCStar, and they hold up well on springers. RC

BDS

Canam1: I just realized that we are talking about breeches and other items as if you may already know about these things  ???

For the Crosman Steel Breech, you can order it on-line, it is part # 1377SBPK . They go in and out of stock on any given day but check with Crosman.

For scopes, try Pyramyd Air on-line or even local sporting goods stores. Your gun has no recoil to influenece the scope so, any 2X scope will work as long as it has the right eye relief and the optics work for you. You should be able to find a scope and rings for $50 or even less. For Red-dot scopes (unmagnified) BSA has some good products for about $30 and, they come with mounts.

Keep in mind that pistol scopes are typically 2X or less and have long eye relief to allow for clear viewing at arms length. 4X and above gets very "shaky" at arms length on a psitol.
Brian

breakfastchef

EyePal!

http://www.eyepalusa.com/eyepal_whose_using.html

I have been using the EyePal for two weeks. Sight picture is significantly improved; target scores are rising, too. You must have decent lighting for this aperture device to work well.
Larry

Fronzdan

A friend told me about Eyepal too.  Seems a bit pricey for what he described as a couple circular pieces of ColorForms (if youre old enough to have this problem, you'll know what those are) with holes in em.  But I understand the concept and it does work.  At around 30 bucks a pop I looked around for alternatives.  Haven't found anything less expensive.  There are some nifty, albeit, funky looking adjustable apertures that you can attach to your glasses with a suction cup as well..even more expensive.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

These kind of scream "I'm an old fart!" though.

I may go with the Eyepals too.  They should also sharpen things up when you use dot sights as well.

chongman

I have very poor eyesight, getting old, diabetes (medication induced) and wondering if this Eyepal will help me?
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

woody67

Maybe get a monacle?

Or a big huge scope with tons of zoom?

Fronzdan

It works like a camera aperture to increase your eyes depth of field. On a camera if you use a small aperture you get an increased depth of field i.e. everything close and far are in focus. The eye pal works the same way and as Chef mentioned, just like a camera, you need a decent amount of brightness for it to be effective.  It works by eliminating light/image rays coming in at different angles which causes focusing problems in older eyes.

You can try it out by cutting a tiny hole in a piece of paper and looking through it. I'm sure the eye pal works much better as the hole is more precise.

Not sure if this helps with your issues though. Maybe try contacting the guy who sells it, he may know. Ah it sucks getting old I say!

Crosshairs

What they all said  ;D
Does this only happen indoors because i have bad peepers too and noticed when im shooting out side i can see the sights better. When shooting inside its way to dark for us bad eye guys and i cant see the sights as well, so i put two more lights in my shooting area in my attic range and can see the sights much better.
                                           Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

breakfastchef

Quote from: chongman on July 16, 2012, 05:24:52 PM
I have very poor eyesight, getting old, diabetes (medication induced) and wondering if this Eyepal will help me?

In short, yes, these may significantly help. Read through the website. The owner, Charlie, is really helpful and stands behind his product. I hunted around for such a device for several months. The EyePal seemed to be the best value. Also, I use an opaque blinder on my non-dominant eye. I understand that closing one eye puts strain on the other eye to collect more light causing it to dilate (a bad thing). The blinder allows me to keep the non-dominant eye open and relaxes my dominant eye more. Charlie also said some shooters are using an EyePal on both eyes. I have not tried that yet.
Larry

sandpiper

Quote from: woody67 on July 16, 2012, 06:31:39 PM
Maybe get a monacle?

Or a big huge scope with tons of zoom?

We would all look like this  ;)

jdub

Quote from: Crosshairs on July 16, 2012, 07:50:49 PM
What they all said  ;D
Does this only happen indoors because i have bad peepers too and noticed when im shooting out side i can see the sights better. When shooting inside its way to dark for us bad eye guys and i cant see the sights as well, so i put two more lights in my shooting area in my attic range and can see the sights much better.
                                           Mike  8)
Good lighting is a huge factor for me.  Very crisp high quality sights make a big difference too.  The sights on my Izzy are a lot easier to see than the sights on many of my other pistols. 

I like red dots, too, but I can't afford to get one with a really sharp and *small* dot.  The ones I use have a 4 MOA dot which is huge when you're shooting targets indoors, covering much of the bullseye.  I'd really like a 1 MOA dot or something in that range but I'm not going to spend the money to get one.   

I prefer open sights--especially on a pistol--but I imagine I'll be converting more and more guns to optics.  If given the choice between missing with open sights or hitting what I'm aiming at with a scope then I think the scope will win  :)

BDS

Quote from: Crosshairs on July 16, 2012, 07:50:49 PM
What they all said  ;D
                                           Mike  8)

Mike, you often mention the "attic range".

After the last few weeks of 90 to 100 degree weather I was wondering, is that attic temp controlled or got an A/C in it?

The few attics I've been in during summer would cause most humans to just self-ignite into flames!  :D  >:(
Brian

KevinP

Quote from: BDS on July 16, 2012, 08:50:43 PM
Mike, you often mention the "attic range".

After the last few weeks of 90 to 100 degree weather I was wondering, is that attic temp controlled or got an A/C in it?

The few attics I've been in during summer would cause most humans to just self-ignite into flames!  :D  >:(

My attic is running at 134 right now ...  I shoot in the garage with the A/C on when it gets hot out ....
Kevin
Albany, New York