• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

sear spring mod/ lighter triger

Started by ham484, July 18, 2012, 06:56:01 PM

ham484

where to get a 1lb spring from? i have read that some one cut there oem spring to make the trigger lighter.
HAM

Crosshairs

For what gun will you be needing it for.
                                 Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

RC1947

If it's for a 2240/13xx you can accomplish the same thing by compressing the stock spring by 'hand'.  That will shorten the spring.  A little at a time is the answer; too much, and you'll have a potentially dangerous hair trigger.  I'd be very cautious about changing springs.

BDS

If you are talking 1377 or 2240 family of guns, Yes, you can cut it to make it "weaker" but... there is a point where you need length to allow for the sear to engage etc. So, that means stretching the sping out and re-shaping the ends etc etc.

The better plan is to take your stock spring to a Real hardware store (ACE or others) that actually have springs in slide drawers that you can put your hands on! Find a spring that is close to the length of yours but... with smaller spring wire diameter. The smaller diameter wil be a softer spring tension and will be coiled correctly at bothe ends. Plus, you need a .22 LR casing in that spring to ride on the sear, an empty/shot case is fine or take a .22LR, pull the bullet off, empty the charge, hold with pliers away from face and use a small nail to scrape out the primer charge, yes, it will go pop like a paper cap gun.  I lke this method better as there is no hammer dent on the case and it makes a better bearing surface for the sear.

Install the case upside down into the top of the spring and put a dab of moly grease on the top.  :-*

Brian

ham484

:-*ok so here is what i did,i polished the drop shear/contact points smooth and shiny,Compressed the spring by hand. I still have to get a .22 shell. I only have .25  shells :( . Trigger feels way better now. Thanks for the info guys.
HAM

RC1947

I've foud a 1/8" pop rivet works as well as a .22 casing, though the spring will need to be compressed. RC

BDS

Good call on the Pop-Rivet, a hemi-sphere shape is actually better than a flat!  :-*
Brian

RC1947

I just added one each to my 2240 and 1377 and they work fine.  I still polished the surface, though it was pretty smooth as is.  No spring creep on the sear. RC