• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

scope for crosman breech

Started by ham484, July 22, 2012, 03:45:00 AM

ham484

:( sorry guys but what size scope will i need for the crosman steel breech  rail?
I'm searching as you read this.
HAM

1377x

you will need 3/8 or 11mm  dovetail rings
height depends on the scope you use
closed mouths dont get fed

ham484

i thought so.to plat it safe i'm gonna just get high mount rings :o
What are the pros and cons of a red dot vs a scope
HAM

1377x

i would use high rings if using a 50mm lense.
with my 4x32 and 3-9x32 medium height gives me enough room to load a pellet and i have some big hands and sits nice and low with the barrel
red dot pros:
quick aquisition of target
shoot both eyes open
good day or night
red dot cons:
parallax error
if you have a 5moa dot it will cover the target at 25 yards at 25yards indoors or at night
needs battery(s) to operate
if i think of more ill post them
red dot vs scope:
red dot no or little magnification
cant adjust parallax on red dots
scope
depending on the scope little or no use at night
parallax error
i have red dots but perfer the magnification of a scope.its nice to be able to follow though and see the pellet strike home.very rewarding

ham484

yea i was reading about the parallax error thingy :(
Im looking in to a bug buster maybe.
I like the 3x9-32 but i dont want to spend that much on a scope
HAM

1377x

the only thing i dont like about leapers scopes is the fat reticle
for the price they are nice
i have a $20 leapers/utg airgun scope 4x32.it has mil dots and came with a sniper card used for judging distances using mil dots
not long ago i got a no name 4x32ao scope i just start using. its great thin reticle but no mil-dots got it used of one of the forums
i had a red dot on my phase 2 1377 im re-doing it once i get it finished ill put the red dot back on it and post it on the forum

jdub

Kind of going along with what 1377x said, I love Red Dots on plinking guns where I'm shooting at objects, cans, quarter-sized spinners, bottle caps, etc.  You don't have to worry about eye relief and they are quick to acquire my target. 

At the same time the dots on the cheaper red dot sights can cover a large spot on the target making it difficult to be pin-point precise.  And the lack of magnification that makes it so easy to acquire targets quickly also makes it more difficult to be as accurate as a scope. 

On my pistols I either have red dots for plinking or iron sights for shooting paper targets for accuracy.   I haven't been able to afford a good pistol scope (high eye relief) and don't like the idea of using something like a bugbuster because you have to hold it 3" from your eye--better suited for a carbine than pistol. 

I have a bugbuster on one of my springer rifles and love it!   And for plinking red dots on a pistol are a blast!

ham484

now im  ???stuck ??? can you point out some good scope around the $50 buck range good for 35 yards.
HAM

RC1947

I've had excellent results using NCStar pistol scopes.  They're inexpensive and do everything a scope should do.  I use them on 3 of my pistols, and they'll stand up to a springer's recoil. RC

1377x

Quote from: ham484 on July 22, 2012, 06:38:03 AM
now im  ???stuck ??? can you point out some good scope around the $50 buck range good for 35 yards.
the $20 leapers scope i mentioned earlier has a 35yd parallax.the glass is clear for the price.eye relief is the same as the bugbuster 3"
this the scope but its not $20 anymore
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Mil-dot-Scope-Airgun-Pre-adjusted/dp/B003BONFGI/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1342972362&sr=1-5&keywords=airgun+scope

for a few $$ more i would get this scope
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-4X32-Full-Mil-Dot-Scope/dp/B001BR30XA/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1342972506&sr=1-20&keywords=airgun+scope

havent tried this scope but want to
http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Package_Priced_Hawke_Scope_Sport_HD_4x32mm_AO_22_Scope-2446-216.html
doesnt have the mil-dots.my 4x32ao no-name scope doesnt have mildots either bot i was hammering a nail at 15yds no problem
the ao is what makes a difference.i had it adjusted to 25yds and kept missing moved the ao down to 15yds and couldnt miss
a friend was over he start shooting all he kept saying is the pellet was hitting right where he was aiming

jdub

Are you looking for a pistol scope or a rifle scope?   That will make a huge difference in the suggestions you receive.

A pistol scope allows you to hold the pistol in a normal one or two-handed pistol hold and still see through the scope.  That's what is meant by high eye relief--the scope can be quite a distance from your eye when you aim.

For a normal rifle type of scope--like the Bugbusters--you need to have the scope, and therefore your pistol--within about 3" of your eye.  If you plan on putting a stock on your pistol then this makes sense.

A Red Dot with work in either situation. 

The NCStar pistol scope another poster recommended is a high eye relief scope.  I've never owned one but might give it a try.

Good luck!

chongman

I don't know nearly as much as the other guys trying to help out but you might take a look at this...
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?action=post;topic=7795.0;last_msg=83231

You'll need some adapter mounts but it's in your price range.  I like the silver finish, don't know if you can get it in black.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

akula8608

I got my son a 6x32 Leapers from OpticsPlanet. Awesome little scope. Pretty much a bug buster without the AO and illuminated crosshairs.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-5th-gen-6x32-mini-size-range-estimating-mil-dot-scope-scp-632md1.html
U.S. Navy Submarine Force 1986-2008

jdub

Quote from: ham484 on July 23, 2012, 05:57:50 AM
Thanks guys for the great info i narrowed it down.
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-4X32-Full-Mil-Dot-Scope/dp/B001BR30XA/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1342972506&sr=1-20&keywords=airgun+scope
Make sure you get rings that will fit the rail and the scope.  At almost 12" long the scope will be about 2" shorter than your 1377.   Eye relief's not bad at 3.5"

Good luck!