• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Does a Mellon Extended Bolt work with a stock 2240 plastic breech?

Started by jdub, July 24, 2012, 12:06:22 AM

jdub

I know I should be putting a steel breech on but it's not going to happen anytime soon.  Meanwhile I'd like an extended bolt.

Thanks!

Jerry

woody67

If you're going to buy an extended bolt, you might as well spend a few more bucks and grab a steel breech...then just add a section of paper clip to the bolt to give the probe an extension if you don't want to buy one!!

woody67

What I meant was that an extended bolt costs almost $20, and a steel breech is only $10 or $15 more... You won't have the rear open sight unless you buy one though...

jdub

Thanks for the reply!

From his site it looks like the extended probe is $12.   That's about what I'm willing to spend right now. 

I have a 2300S, which I've put some $$$ in to make it even nicer and more accurate so that's my nice CO2 gun.  This 2240 will be a beater and will stay close to stock.  Plastic grips, no stainless or brass pretty parts.  I just got it to plink with and to use up a bunch of .22 pellets I have :)  I did splurge and buy a TKO LDC just to make it inside friendly and I put a 2300S hammer spring in it to ease off the power a bit. 

I'm thinking an extended probe might give it a hair better accuracy (I'm not worried about an increase in power).  I reworked the trigger, sear, and spring to make it nicer to shoot.  Right now I have a cheapo Red Dot on it using the intermounts, which have proved to be surprisingly solid--much more so than the intermounts I've used on Benjamin 392s and Sheridan C9s.   If I have a fairly solid mount for the optics and the barrels not flopping around I can't come up with a good reason for a steel breech. 

Probably more than you wanted to know, huh?  ;)   

breakfastchef

For the intended purpose, I don't think an extended probe bolt brings much to the table. The gain in fps and accuracy is very minimal to impossible to discern to the average shooter; me included.
Larry

jdub

Quote from: breakfastchef on July 24, 2012, 01:11:08 AM
For the intended purpose, I don't think an extended probe bolt brings much to the table. The gain in fps and accuracy is very minimal to impossible to discern to the average shooter; me included.
Hi!  Thanks for the reply! 

I'd like to try to prevent a detour here and keep this from turning into a pro/con debate on extended bolts.  I think the people who have tried them, including myself, have formed an opinion already and I respect that.  I just want to know if the Mellon Air extended probe fits a plastic breech.

Thanks all!

woody67

Of course it fits!

But you will be better off waiting and saving some coins for a steel breech. The steel breech will give you better accuracy, the extended probe would realistically only give you increased air flow and more power.

jdub

Quote from: woody67 on July 24, 2012, 02:11:05 AM
Of course it fits!
That's all I was looking for, thanks!

With regards to the rest of the discussion, my reasoning is that a slightly deeper set prevents the gas flow from hitting the skirts on longer pellets (or to be more precise--pellets with deeper skirts) and gives the pellet a better start into the rifling.  The same reason I'll use a pellet set on my springers if I'm trying for really tight groups.

And if down the road I end up with a steel breech then I'll use the extended bolt in that breech so all is good.  Right now there's no discernible movement from the barrel/breech so I'm happy with it.

Sorry if my refusal to listen to reason is a source of frustration.   ;)

Thanks again for the replies!