• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

CO2 versus Pneumatic?

Started by jdub, July 31, 2012, 11:32:03 PM

jdub

Quote from: eric on August 01, 2012, 10:26:20 PM
depends for me --- my R9 is very nice --- rekord trigger and little recoil makes it a very accurate rifle --- heavier than my C9 though, the R9 doesn't need support gear which is a plus .msps --- my C9 --- doesn't need extra gear just the effort to charge it and when it's hot ,it's not going to happen .both the R9 and C9 aren't really temperature dependent so they are year round outdoor shooters . my co2 guns are easy and fun for warm weather and during cooler weather good for indoors, though my 160 is too much for shooting in the house .so it depends really on my mood and weather .....
I have an HW30S (R7) with the same trigger and a Sheridan C9--two of my favorite rifles.   You hit two of my favorite attributes too, self-contained and very accurate.

arkmaker †

I have to admit that Co2 is my favorite because of the overall ease of use. Down here in Florida, temp is not much of a problem all year, with the exception of a few weeks. Even then I can shoot given the right time of day. I have shot and tested out most of my Co2's so I know when I will have reached the max shots per cart and will have a POI change.

I really like my 1701P. Far more consistent and accurate than any other pistol I have. Long shot count (60+), but then I have to pump!! I can see myself at some point down the road going to a scuba tank and when that happens, I am afraid the Co2 guns will then take a backseat in the closet... My pumpers just never get much use and I have never had a brake barrel, but that Titan has been calling my name for some time now  ;)

A little off topic, but didn't Crosman make a lower velocity (around 500 fps) version of the Titan?

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Plekto

I always burn off the first 2 or 3 shots on a CO2 cartridge.  My 2240 gets about 25-30 shots.  The 2240 isn't made for plinking and tons of shots, but it more of a platform for a great pest control and hunting rig. - For a lot less money than most of the alternatives if you are willing to DIY a bit.

I like CO2 as it's cheaper (fittings/tanks/etc) and more efficient than HPA and provides a huge ease of use advantage over pumping or cocking a heavy spring.  The downside is that it's temperature sensitive and quite a bit louder that other methods for the same FPS.  A moderator is a must unless you live where noise isn't an issue as it's a LOT louder than most pneumatics and spring-piston guns.  There's also a maximum FPS ceiling which is lower than the other three options.  Not a lot, but 800+ fps isn't going to happen easily.

IMO, CO2 is a cheap upgrade - a poor man's HPA that works almost as well - for pennies.  $5 to fill a mid-size tank, a CO2 tank, and an adapter plus a (device we aren't supposed to mention here that turns the 2240 into a HPA/CO2 bulk fill option) is a LOT of shots for pennies vs 12 gram cartridges.    Basically you're looking at a Discovery pistol for $200 including the device, tank, and adapter.

Note - that device works fantastic for CO2, which is what I use it for.  1200psi and presto - no worries.  $5 gives me a, well, I'm still on the same fill three months later.  The thing is basically a 1oz Co2 tank, and I'm well over 100 fills.

edit - I have a 10lb CO2 tank (size of a typical fire extinguisher).  That's somewhere around 120-130 oz depending on the fill (since you can't actually fill them 100% full).  That brings the cost down to about 2 cents per 12 gram equivalent. (12gr is a bit under .5oz))  Now, the tank isn't free, so there's a sunk cost of about 200 CO2 cartridges in the mix (tank and valve/gauge), but the break-even point is around 225 CO2 cartridges.(2 fills of the large tank vs 50 cents each X a lot)  I know of people who go through that many in a year.

This math also works for the Discovery if you use CO2 in it.  You get an astounding number of fills off of a medium sized tank.  The price to shoot drops to virtually nothing as a result, and it's a LOT easier than using a pump.  HPA is nice in a Discovery, but it's also considerably more expensive for parts and the tank.   You can get a CO2 bulk fill setup for just under $100 vs close to $200 for HPA if you shop carefully.  That's a lot of shooting to break even.  Doubly so if you're in the southern U.S. where cold and snow isn't a major factor.   Yes, heat is a problem, I know, but nobody wants to be shooting in 100F+ weather anyways.

ham484

HAM

jdub

Quote from: Plekto on August 02, 2012, 01:33:46 AM
The 2240 isn't made for plinking and tons of shots,
I think if anything it's an ideal plinker.  If you're out knocking over cans. bottlecaps, etc.  You're not going to notice the slight deviations in pressure that show up when you're shooting paper for accuracy.   If I hang onto mine it will sport a cheap red dot and will be used for spinners, flip-ups, and those kinds of things.  I'll use the 2300S for CO2 paper-punching.

BTW, if all pumpers were like that HB17 I got today I'd swear off them forever.  http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,7927.0.html  Fortunately I was able to take my C9 and HB20 out and shoot for 45 minutes and all was right with the world again  :)

If I could only have *one* pistol (I know this is a stupid game to play because no one can have just one, right?) it would be a single-stroke pneumatic.  At the moment that would be my Izzy.  At this point though I think my 2300S would be in the top 3 so my bad CO2 attitude is softening.  ;D

BDS

Quote from: arkmaker on August 02, 2012, 12:07:47 AM
I have to admit that Co2 is my favorite because of the overall ease of use. Down here in Florida, temp is not much of a problem all year, with the exception of a few weeks. Even then I can shoot given the right time of day. I have shot and tested out most of my Co2's so I know when I will have reached the max shots per cart and will have a POI change.

I really like my 1701P. Far more consistent and accurate than any other pistol I have. Long shot count (60+), but then I have to pump!! I can see myself at some point down the road going to a scuba tank and when that happens, I am afraid the Co2 guns will then take a backseat in the closet... My pumpers just never get much use and I have never had a brake barrel, but that Titan has been calling my name for some time now  ;)

A little off topic, but didn't Crosman make a lower velocity (around 500 fps) version of the Titan?

Rich

Rich, yes, the Titan was made in a 12 ft lb version for the UK and EU, and they retailed it here about a year ago +. I think  ??? it was labeled as the "LP" ? Reported to be super smooth cocking and shooting, kinda like a Bronco with an NP in it.
Brian

arkmaker †

I think I would buy one of those if I could find one  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

BDS

Do you know about the Air Venturi Bronco? (made by Mendoza)

It is one of the NICEST $100 spring guns you will ever find. Lower power for plinking and garage/10 meter duty, eazzzzy to cock, almost no recoil, great trigger, fit and finish and shoot all day long with no sweating invloved.

PA has two versions, one with std sights and one with diopter rear sight and globe front, either can take a scope on the rails.

All metal and wood (about 98% anyway). No Chi-com junk with rust and sketchy bamboo stocks either. Here's a pic.
Brian

RC1947

and there's also the superb QB78 Deluxe, a clone of the old Crosman 160.  Two cart CO2 tack driver.  RC

BDS

Yup, also a great shooter and actually better made than the Cros 160 it copied. Of course, Tim McMurray and friends basically force-fed the Chi-coms to get the QB guns made for American shooters with higher quality. They are far superior to most of the other Chinese "stuff".  :-*
Brian