• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

HB17--Not looking too promising...

Started by jdub, August 01, 2012, 06:51:12 PM

jdub

It just arrived today.  Looks nice--the grips actually have a little figure in them.  Nice and solid build--just like my Sheridan HB20. 

Pull the pump handle loose.  Dang! This sucker is stiff!  Oil the pivot points and some Pelligun on the cup.  It's bone dry at this point.  I work the handle back and forth a few times to loosen it up.  A little better.

I take it out and shoot about 50 pellets through it.  Creepy but predictable trigger.  About the same as a stock 13XX.  Sights are a weak area--simple blade and notch but they work okay.  It groups okay pumping 3 times.  Decide to crank it up a little and go for 6 pumps.  Not good.  I'm 6'5" 240 lbs and am a fan of Benjamin/Sheridan pumpers but this sucker is HARD to pump!  Easily twice as hard as a 13XX--maybe worse.  Part of that is due to the shorter pump arm and I understand that since I already have an HB20.  The HB20 is much easier to pump but it's well broken in, too.  Got that.   But this thing should not be this hard to pump.  It's not just the effort--it doesn't feel smooth.

After about 30 shots it starts honking a little when I pump it.  I check the pivot points again--they've got oil on them.  Add a bit more Pelligun to the cup.  No difference.  So now I'm back inside pondering its fate. 

Anyone else run into this with a new HB17/HB22?

Crosshairs

As much as i like the benjamin pistols this is the reason i never got the HB series guns the all are hard to pump it's not just your gun. The older guns pump much more easy then the new stuff.But they are well made nice looking guns for sure. Maybe after time she will break in.
                                          Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

eric

there was some quality control issues a while back can't say to if and when but that could be the case with these --- i got a H9 in lnc (in like new condition) and at first it was a pisser to charge 'til it wore in some --- they built like a tank for a reason. the triggers suck --- you can work the leaf spring some or mod the grip frame so it's more like a 13xx/2xxx gun and use a coil spring --- i used an adjuster with a coil spring and it was way better
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

jdub

I'll mess around with it a little more but it if doesn't quit honking it's going back.   :)

It's a shame really.  Comparing it to my Sheridan HB20 the HB17 comes up sadly lacking.   

The bolt is very loose--the HB20 has a tensioning spring on the side of the bolt to prevent this--but even if the HB17 had one it would still be a little sloppy. 

Also, something on the HB17 bolt catches when you close it so you have to lift it just slightly to clear whatever it is.  I'm not going to take it apart until I decide to keep it.

The difference between the two when pumping it crazy.  The Sheridan is smooth and relatively easy, the HB17 is rough and makes a racket.

I noticed between my newer Benjamin 392 and my older Sheridan C9 rifles that the Sheridan is easier to pump but even the newer 392 is smooth and quiet--just a bit harder.   If the HB17 was *smooth* and hard to pump that would be one thing, but to be rough, noisy *and* hard to pump.... well....  :)

Squallywally

I got mine today as well and it is hard to pump, but mine is accurate after I figured out how to shoot it.
I have been enjoying the he** out of it. The finish is fine.
I have been shooting at 5m at 3 pumps all day.

Squallywally

Ok, I went out to eat with the family tonight. Had a couple of Beers.
Came home and started drinking a couple of more beers and shot the new HB17 despite the blisters on my trigger hand from pumping this thing.
Couldn't get the thing to group worth a crap.
Beers right?
Well, on a whim, I shoot 5, wait for it, INDUSTRY BRAND pellets
That came with my QB-57.....these things look horrible,bent and deformed skirts to boot... Tightest group yet!
5 more...then 5 more, then 5 more, same thing. Incredible!

I am going to have to wait a couple of days and try this again. Sober.
I'll have to wait a couple of days because my hand hurts so bad from pumping this pistol it needs time to heel.
Sad really, despite the difficult pumping, I have had a lot of fun shooting it.
Out of 32 airguns, not one has shot these pellets worth a darn. I still have them only for the novelty of it.
Strange. ???

millipede

i just got an hb22 a couple weeks ago. one thing i did to make pumping easier, a LOT easier, is get rid of that big  stupid piece of wire they stick into the lever/pump handle. it's a pain in the ass to get out but its well worth it

millipede

btw mine came with an aluminium valve and its already nicely corroded on the inside after only having it a couple weeks.. it really sucks

oh yeah and that "honking" sound is probably just the check valve vibrating as the air get pushed past it. it means it's working   8)