• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Are air gun reviews a scam

Started by Crosshairs, August 05, 2012, 02:15:04 PM

Crosshairs

Hey guys i always read the reviews about air guns but are they on the level or are they just the companys people and friends making them sound better then the really are. What do you think about reviews.
                           Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

sandpiper

Quote from: Crosshairs on August 05, 2012, 02:15:04 PM
Hey guys i always read the reviews about air guns but are they on the level or are they just the companys people and friends making them sound better then the really are. What do you think about reviews.
                           Mike

I've done reviews on AGD and PA so I know at least some of them are authentic (if that's what you mean). I'm quite sure there are bogus reviews out there, especially from the airgun manufactuer.

quickster47 †

Provide me a sample and enough money and I'll tell you anything you want to hear to make your product look good and desirable.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

chongman

In part, yes.  What makes me think that is you sometimes find the same review, word for word, on multiple web sites. Is this some dude taking the time to post them or is it a corporate conspiracy?
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

RC1947

Like reviews of anything, they need to be weeded through critically.  One star because the reviewer wished it came in another caliber; five stars because the reviewer shot a mouse through the heart at 700 yards.  Many reviews say more about the reviewer than the product.  I read them looking for a repeated negative, or positive.  I've found that I have to be discriminating when reading reviews of springers since, "I can't hit the side of a barn with this thing," more than likely has little to do with the inherent accuracy of the gun. RC

cheewee

what rc said x2
you have to be sceptical and look for a recurring link between them  good or bad.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

Crosshairs

You all have great points like RC said they should be about the gun and not the shooter i do  reviews on the PA site and only talk about the gun and how well or bad i like how it peforms and if i got my moneys worth. Also Carl had a good point money talks and BS walks but i dont think it was him he was talking about . I try to be as fair as i can, i see some folks bashing a BB gun because he can't hit something at 30 yards hello it's a BB gun  ;D.
                                      Mike  8)

RC1947

I also think that the cost of a particular gun has something to do with reviews.  It's easy to give a 13xx/2240 glowing reviews since, for the price, you get a lot of gun.  Not that they don't have their weak points.  On the other hand, an expensive gun should display qualities reflecting that cost, and ought to be held to a higher standard in order to justify the extra cost.  Sometimes, quality is in name only. RC

Crosshairs

Quote from: RC1947 on August 05, 2012, 07:16:25 PM
I also think that the cost of a particular gun has something to do with reviews.  It's easy to give a 13xx/2240 glowing reviews since, for the price, you get a lot of gun.  Not that they don't have their weak points.  On the other hand, an expensive gun should display qualities reflecting that cost, and ought to be held to a higher standard in order to justify the extra cost.  Sometimes, quality is in name only. RC
Yeah man you got that right. I have and im sure we all do have a high priced gun that don't shoot as good or better then the good old 1377.
                                           Mike

RC1947

Indeed!  I hesitated before buying my 1377 at a local gun shop.  I thought is was going to be a piece of plastic junk.  Now, I wouldn't part with it, since it continues to be one of the finest pistols I own, and I haven't put much money into it. RC

BDS

I look at the spelling, grammar and how knowledgeable/mature the reviewer appears to be before even considering his rating or product "stars".

There are too many reviews out there written by dufus or "livin-in-moms-basement" types that usually go something like... So like I wuz pumpin it about 30 times and it like sucked bad man, My daisy bb gun shoots harder then thiz thing

Note: this was a review for a stock 1377, "pumped 30 times"?  ??? :D ;D
Brian

Crosshairs

OMG spelling don't check mine  ;D im very bad at spelling  ???                           
                                 Mike  8)

1377x

Quote from: BDS on August 06, 2012, 07:03:02 PM
I look at the spelling, grammar and how knowledgeable/mature the reviewer appears to be before even considering his rating or product "stars".

There are too many reviews out there written by dufus or "livin-in-moms-basement" types that usually go something like... So like I wuz pumpin it about 30 times and it like sucked bad man, My daisy bb gun shoots harder then thiz thing

Note: this was a review for a stock 1377, "pumped 30 times"?  ??? :D ;D
hey where did you find my review?
just because i live in my moms basement and cant spell doesnt make me a dufus
;D ;D
closed mouths dont get fed

Davio

Most 13xx and 22xx reviews I see are overwhelmingly positive.  True also for the 357 BB revolver.  But many of the other Crosman guns do not fare as well.

I think too many reviews are done when the item is new and has been barely used only for a matter of days, so I take that into account , too.  Amazon does verify whether or not the reviewer actually purchased the product, so that means something.

Just my $.02 USD
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177