• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Anyone know the size of the set screws on the barrel band?

Started by BigErn, August 11, 2012, 01:46:48 PM

BigErn

Not sure if this will work but I was thinking of putting a longer set screw on the top of the stock barrel band and using it as a front sight along with a Crosman Mim rear sight. I have a dot sight on now that you can see through to use the open sights. Has this been tried before, do you guys think it will work?

Fronzdan

I'm sure someone's tried that before.  It might work.  My only concerns are that the distance between the front and rear sights isn't optimum.  Naturally you want the front sight as close to the muzzle as possible so IT aligns with the rear as opposed to a plane that further back.  Also, I personally have had bad luck using the barrel band, but letting the barrel rest/touch it loosely. So if you do try it, make sure the screw/post you use actually screws all the way in and secures the barrel.

BigErn

Quote from: Fronzdan on August 11, 2012, 04:40:02 PM
I'm sure someone's tried that before.  It might work.  My only concerns are that the distance between the front and rear sights isn't optimum.  Naturally you want the front sight as close to the muzzle as possible so IT aligns with the rear as opposed to a plane that further back.  Also, I personally have had bad luck using the barrel band, but letting the barrel rest/touch it loosely. So if you do try it, make sure the screw/post you use actually screws all the way in and secures the barrel.

Thanks Fronzdan. I see what you mean... I want the screw/post to secure the barrel just like normal. I need the thread size of that screw. If it's too long I can always grind it down to the size I need where it works as a post and secures the barrel too. It was just an idea I had and was wondering if anyone had tried this before.  I've seen people drill their sighted stock bands on 1377s when putting a longer barrel allowing them to still use the open sights. Kinda the same idea. Maybe I'm just wasting my time but it sounds good. Would actually have to try it to see if it works.

chongman

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

BigErn

Quote from: chongman on August 11, 2012, 05:25:58 PM
8-32  :-*

Thanks chong! That's what I wanted to know. I'll let you guys know if it works or it's just another dumb Bigern idea.  :D

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

BigErn: Not at home to check that size for you but... 8-32 seems BIG to me, more lilely a 6-32?

Also, what length barrel do you have on that gun? If it's not a snubby or short, that barrel band position may be to close to the rear sight and, more important, if it's not exactly in precise alignment with the centerline of the barrel (precise meaning .001" or better) then you will have a fairly serious error from that point to the end of the barrel (longer barrel will increase the error).
Brian

BigErn

Quote from: BDS on August 13, 2012, 06:07:21 PM
BigErn: Not at home to check that size for you but... 8-32 seems BIG to me, more lilely a 6-32?

Also, what length barrel do you have on that gun? If it's not a snubby or short, that barrel band position may be to close to the rear sight and, more important, if it's not exactly in precise alignment with the centerline of the barrel (precise meaning .001" or better) then you will have a fairly serious error from that point to the end of the barrel (longer barrel will increase the error).

Hey B, yeah I don't think it was going to work anyways  :(. It's ok, I found a better solution! I managed to mount a spare fiber optic rear sight from a C31 I had. It looks pretty cool! I haven't tried it yet but I don't think I will even need a front sight. I mostly want it for looks and as a back up so it doesn't need to be very accurate just close enough. By the way I'm using the stock length barrel Brian.

cmj21973

FYI:

The barrel band set screw is 6-32. Same as the set screw for the steel breaches.

BigErn

BigErn

Quote from: chongman on August 11, 2012, 05:25:58 PM
8-32  :-*

Chong might be the winner here. Tried the 6-32 today and it's too small. Gonna try the 8-32 tomorrow  :-*.

BigErn

Ok the size of the screw of the stock 2240 barrel band is 8-32. I put it on today and it looks like it will work perfectly! I will try it as soon as I get a chance. Done with the 2240 for now. It came out awesome! Will take some pics next time I go shoot it. Thanks again for all the help fellas.

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed